How far can you drive on tyre sealant?

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,681 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Surely you've made that up? Get a puncture in a tyre you cant call them again for a puncture?

Get a puncture and a temporary fix, and they won't cover you for another failure in that tyre with temporary fix (either a leak or another puncture). Get the tyre repaired properly and you're covered.

So you can't just get them to keep bodging you on; they get you moving again and then expect you to get the car fixed.
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    fair enough. Anyway I'll go away for the weekend, I've got a pump in the car, and hopefully that's enough.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    kmb500 wrote: »
    fair enough. Anyway I'll go away for the weekend, I've got a pump in the car, and hopefully that's enough.

Good luck. I hope you don't affect anyone else if you have a blowout.
  • pem
    pem Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    normally the number of the locking key is written down in the service book or other user manuals you received with the car

can you not go to a main dealer of the car make you have and ask them to undo it and see if they could possibly give you a non locking wheel nut for use short term
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Or replace all locking wheelnuts with non lockers permanently as they are such a pain to deal with and are more trouble than they are worth.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    BeenThroughItAll Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    Surely you've made that up? Get a puncture in a tyre you cant call them again for a puncture?
    Why on earth would I make it up? I resent that suggestion.

It's in the T&Cs.

If you get a puncture, call the AA to bodge it, drive on the tyre for 100s of miles and the bodge fails, the AA won't come and tow you 100s of miles home for free, as you failed to fix a known issue and took the risk of driving in that knowledge.

I didn't say if the OP got a *different* puncture they'd not be able to call the AA. I mentioned pre-existing faults because the OP said:

But part of me says well worst comes worse, the tyre goes flat again and I get towed all the way home

Note use of "the tyre" - as in the subject of the post and "again" - as in 'a repeat failure'.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    kmb500 wrote: »
    t the pressure gauge out and it's at 55 psi ! so safe to say in these 2 days it is not losing pressure. but I've only done 30 miles or so driving very gently. Going to do some motorwaying tonight.

55 psi !!!!! Really??????

That is pretty high for a private car or SUV

Even my M-Benz Sprinter doesn't have pressures as high as that.

What vehicle are we taking about here.

That high a pressure may well induce a failure at motorway speeds.

Also did you check with a dealership where the locking wheel-nut key is normally located?

It may not be where you expected it to be.
  • ukmike
    ukmike Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    55 psi !!!!! Really??????

Normal pressure for a space saver wheel.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    55psi is high, but not so high you can expect a failure. I sometimes drive with 50psi, no ill effects, it reduces rolling resistance.

There are some "eco" models which have 50psi as standard.

I suspect the AA guy over flated it as a precaution against the slow leak... a slow leak, I might add, which is sounding to me as though it has now sealed ok.

What you want to do is put some washing up liquid over where the hole is and see if there are any bubbles. However as it is a foam seal, maybe washing up liquid would be the wrong thing to use (might eat away the foam), so just spit on the tyre instead (i.e. spittle from your mouth).
  • Wig wrote: »
    55psi is high, but not so high you can expect a failure. I sometimes drive with 50psi, no ill effects, it reduces rolling resistance.

But if you over-inflate there is less rubber in contact with the road reducing your grip!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure