help me please,what do i do next ?

Options
hi,sorry if i'm being a bit thick,but have just recieved a reply from capital one in regard to my request for a refund of charges.anyway they have only offered £90 but my claim was for £230,now, as i have no intentioin of accepting this what is my next step ? do i need to write to them,if so does anyone have a letter template? or do i just start court procedings ?if so how do i do this ?
please help with my next step

thanks

Comments

• Red_Panda_2
    Options
    Hi Nottslass, what stage are you at with the letters now - was it the letter before action they responded to or you initial letter?

The letter they have sent you offering the lower amount do you need to sign and send back? if so cross out the full and final settlement part and write part payment and carry on with the claim.
    If not you could write back accepting the part offer and informing them unless you receive the full amount within the timescale you will be continuing with the court action.

stick to the time table though so they have all the statutary notice, and carry on with the claim as normal.
    Any spelling mistakes are entirely on purpose to check you're paying attention :p
  • nottslass_2
    nottslass_2 Posts: 1,765 Forumite
    Options
    hi red panda, it was really a letter before action as i didnt send an initial letter,the letter basically stated why and how much i was claiming for, saying that i reservered the right to commence court procedings without further notice. should i just write back thanking them for the reply,accept the £90 in part settlement ,but how long do i give them to pay my claim in full before i start court procedings ?
    you mention sticking to the time table,sorry don't suppose you could point me in the right direction of it,then at least i can stop bothering people with silly questions and just get on with it !

thanks
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Before you go to court, you need to give the bank a reasonable amount of time to respond to your original claim (it looks very bad at court if don't). A reasonable amount of time could be considered at least 28 days.

I would write back refusing the offer as a full and final settlement, but accepting it as a part payment without prejudice (no conditions attached), and tell them that you will proceed with the claim for the rest of the amount. Say something like 'if I don't receive an acceptable response within the next 14 days, I reserve the right to commence a court claim without further notice.

If they don't offer the whole amount (without conditions) after this letter. Start your court case.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport