Best Balance Transfers Discussion Area

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Your new limit will be decided by the new card provider.

You'll normally be allowed to BT up to 95% of that limit.
  • Having never moved to take advantage of an interest free credit card balance transfer before - and having all but arranged a low interest loan to pay off about £10K on my current credit card (in 4 years and with a monthly payment similar to what I already pay on my card) I thought I'd try MSE's advice. A Virgin Credit card was recommended with a high likelihood of being accepted and, subsequently, I applied for this. 3 weeks later I received my first communication - approved! But for £500 credit only. That's less than my husband, who only recently completed a degree and remains unemployed, was recently offered for his first card! Plus the mere process of making this application appears to have dropped my credit score (with Experian) by 50 points. I earn over £50K pa, have only one other loan (which will have its final £180 paid off in 2 months), have never defaulted on a payment and have a good excess of income over expenditure each month. Virgin have said that I can 'appeal' their credit limit but I've just told them to cancel this - it's been a complete waste of my time. Moral of the story - don't believe everything you read on MSE. I used their advice cautiously and with open and honest intent but, ultimately, it proved poor advice. Would obviously appreciate any help as to where I may have gone wrong!
  • Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 April 2018 at 10:05AM
    patricklt wrote: »
    Would obviously appreciate any help as to where I may have gone wrong!

With credit cards you don't instantly get everything you want, particularly if you don't have a history of regularly making credit card payments on time.

My first credit limit was £250. My highest credit limit now is over £15k

I think you were wrong to cancel the credit card. I would have used it to demonstrate I could be relied upon to use it sensibly, stay within the credit limit and make payments on time. It is then likely your credit limit would be increased regularly until it reaches a limit you are happy with.

Your second mistake is to take any notice of your reduced credit score.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I thought I'd try MSE's advice. A Virgin Credit card was recommended with a high likelihood of being accepted and, subsequently, I applied for this.

<snip>

Moral of the story - don't believe everything you read on MSE. I used their advice cautiously and with open and honest intent but, ultimately, it proved poor advice.
    I agree with Superscrooge's points and would add that you obviously haven't read what you've seen on here very carefully if you think MSE have given you advice and that said advice was flawed!

It sounds like you used the MSE eligibility checker and that the (inevitably provisional and estimated) outcome was actually accurate in that you were accepted for a card, so clearly there is no issue with that aspect of what you've read on here.

The separate matter of not getting the size of credit limit you wanted is neither here nor there - no credit card company will publicise the limits in advance as they're offered on a tailored case-by-case basis, a point which is made repeatedly on here and I'd be very surprised if there's anything on this site that suggests otherwise.

So, what exactly was the 'poor advice' you're accusing MSE of?
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 12 April 2018 at 5:09AM
    Having never moved to take advantage of an interest free credit card balance transfer before - and having all but arranged a low interest loan to pay off about £10K on my current credit card (in 4 years and with a monthly payment similar to what I already pay on my card) I thought I'd try MSE's advice. A Virgin Credit card was recommended with a high likelihood of being accepted and, subsequently, I applied for this. 3 weeks later I received my first communication - approved! But for £500 credit only. That's less than my husband, who only recently completed a degree and remains unemployed, was recently offered for his first card! Plus the mere process of making this application appears to have dropped my credit score (with Experian) by 50 points. I earn over £50K pa, have only one other loan (which will have its final £180 paid off in 2 months), have never defaulted on a payment and have a good excess of income over expenditure each month. Virgin have said that I can 'appeal' their credit limit but I've just told them to cancel this - it's been a complete waste of my time. Moral of the story - don't believe everything you read on MSE. I used their advice cautiously and with open and honest intent but, ultimately, it proved poor advice. Would obviously appreciate any help as to where I may have gone wrong!
    It really would have been better to have started a new thread instead of deleting the post from the new thread that you created and adding it on page 246 of an existing thread.
    As to the question of where have you gone wrong ...
    It is my understanding that you currently have an income in excess of £50Kpa. You currently possess only one credit card with an interest beating balance of 10K which you have been repaying now for 4 years, making a monthly (minimum?) payment of about the same as the repayments would be on a 10K loan.
    Although not stated, I assume that this credit card is being used more or less at it's limit. What is the credit limit on this card?
    You say that you have a good excess of income over expenditure every month.
    So why have you never repaid more to this card? What is happening to this 'good excess' each month?
    Using a credit card up to it's limit shows financial stress. Having an interest bearing balance on a credit card and making minimum or near to minimum payments each month shows that you can't afford to pay any more. (It would be assumed that as the interest rate on the card would be far far higher than you could be earning in interest on the money, you would repay more to the card if you could to reduce interest).
    Under these circumstances, Virgin would assume that you can't afford to pay any more than you are already paying and, if the balance on the card has been increasing in recent months, that even that is unaffordable.
    Did you actually use the eligibility checker on the Virgin Money site or rely on a third party eligibility checker? Either way, the eligibility checker was correct. Virgin took a chance on you and you got the card. Nothing to complain about there. You got the card. The MSN eligibility checker has not let you down.
    Did you honestly imagine that you would be given a card with a credit limit in excess of 10K to balance transfer all of this debt? If you did you are living in cloud cuckoo land. I admit that £500 is a bit low but in all likelihood Virgin would have increased the limit if you had demonstrated good account management on their card over the next several months. Instead you declined the card. So now you are back to square one but with a hard search on your credit files.
    MSN have not given you any bad advice. They have given you good advice.
    Why did you pay interest on this balance for 4 years before deciding to get a 0% card? Was there something on your credit files preventing this?
    A final piece of good advice. Don't make any further applications until your other loan is fully repaid and showing as settled on your credit files.
  • an also best idea to the online transaction that is the online transaction process which customer is done by debit card and credit card. Echeck for Tech support
  • Ki101416
    Ki101416 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hi, I'm new here. I have been looking into balance transfer but I'm a little confused. I have store credit with 2 stores that I have accounts with online (I physically have a store credit card). I thought I could get a balance transfer card to pay off both but now I'm not sure if it works like that?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Ki101416
    Ki101416 Posts: 2 Newbie
    That should say I DONT physically have a card
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You generally can't BT store cards.

You may need a money transfer option.
  • tyler_brunt
    tyler_brunt Posts: 12 Forumite
    Hello, i was wondering if anyone could help me with my current situation, I have an outstanding balance of just under £1000 on a Barclays credit card, I don't seem to be getting very far with my repayments so I read about a balance transfer process to potentially an interest-free credit card, I am currently a full-time university student with a part-time, where is best place to start looking? any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback