Council Tax Review

Options
Hi All,
I live down a road where most of the houses are different. There are a few other houses that are the same as mine. I have been told by one of the owners that they along with 2 other owners, have recently challenged their council tax band and have been successful and had their council tax band lowered from F to E. On the back of this I have asked the VOA to review my band, comparing my propertyto the other 3. They have written to me today stating that the properties quoted are of smaller size, have less accommodation than mine, and are of poorer quality. and have therefore kept my band the same. But it is supposed to be based on house prices in April 1991. At that point all of our properties were indentical. None of them had been extended or modernised. Also 2 of those properties are now bigger than mine.
I would like to challenge the VOA decision. Does anyone have any advice??

Many Thanks

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If a dwelling is extended prior to 1 April 1993 or prior to its last sale (whichever is the later date) then those extensions can be taken into account. Values are of those prevailing as at 1 April 1991.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Jenks2301
    Options
    Hi there.
    None of the properties were extended prior to 1993. We’ve all lived in the properties since the mid to late 90’s. In 1993 they were all identical 3 bed semis.
    Does this make a difference??
    Thanks
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If your home was extended prior to you buying it then this would possibly explain the VO's attitude. It doesn't matter what the houses were like in 1993 if they have been extended and subsequently sold. For example if a house was extended in 1994 and sold in 1998, then it is its size in 1998 which is relevant.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure