Financial hardship online resources

13»

Comments

• I have tried to claim back bank charges of over £5000 santander says i am out of time does anybody suggest anything ?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have tried to claim back bank charges of over £5000 santander says i am out of time does anybody suggest anything ?

If you are timebarred, then its too late. Game over.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Hi,
    i have been reading lots of information and other peoples experiences regarding claiming back bank charges.
    i ahve used one of the MSE templates and sent this off to the halifax, phone call one day later saying that they are not interested in my claim at all.
    i have gone through my account history and found a monthly charge of £10.00- account charge then overdraft fees also when i asked about the account fee they say its a charge of an overdraft but yet you have overdraft charges also. i am very confussed in this matter and really am considering to take this to the ombudsman.
    any opinions on whether its worth going to the ombudsman?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,784 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    liamVW wrote: »
    Hi,
    i have been reading lots of information and other peoples experiences regarding claiming back bank charges.
    i ahve used one of the MSE templates and sent this off to the halifax, phone call one day later saying that they are not interested in my claim at all.
    i have gone through my account history and found a monthly charge of £10.00- account charge then overdraft fees also when i asked about the account fee they say its a charge of an overdraft but yet you have overdraft charges also. i am very confussed in this matter and really am considering to take this to the ombudsman.

They won't be "interested" because the banks won the court case in 2009 which put an end to complaints about bank charges.

It's perfectly possible to have overdraft charges on top of an account with a free overdraft if you go over the limit your are given.

You can complain about the account charges - follow the MSE guide
    You cannot complain about the historic overdraft charges
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

And where those experiences recent or historic?

The MSE template is awful and dates from back in the day when reclaiming bank charges was easy. That changed when the banks won the court case in 2009. MSE gave up on bank charges after that. Info is largely there for historic reasons.
    i am very confussed in this matter and really am considering to take this to the ombudsman.

The ombudsman state on their website that they will not take on complaints about unfair bank charges (following the 2009 court case).

Not if you are trying to reclaim so called unfair bank charges.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    This thread dates from 2010. It was last "bumped" in 2014 and then again today.

Since most of the information contained in it is out-of-date, I suggest it is ignored in future...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure