And now the fuse is lit...

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,162 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    ZTD wrote: »
    Well I went back tonight, and the heating has failed...

Just as well you have moved out then:eek:
    When is your lease up then?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    beanielou wrote: »
    Just as well you have moved out then:eek:
    When is your lease up then?

New Year's day...

Needless to say, I'll be doing everything before then.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    So...things I have learned tonight...
    1. One bookcase = about 8 boxes of books
    2. Somehow you can mislay volumes 7-12 of an Enyclopedia Britannica - despite it weighing about the same as a chubby child
    3. Boxes vs books = a win for books and plastic shrapnel
    4. I have a very wide taste in reading material, but most of it is non-fiction
    5. I have a lot of old books which are way out of this time. Logarithmic tables to 4 decimal places anyone?

So, what now?

I was reminded of a bit of dialogue in the Matrix which might have been said if it had been a completely different kind of film.
    • Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
    • Neo: Bookcases. Lots of bookcases.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You sound like you need a clear out but logarithmic tables ......may be handy for insomnia?
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • ZTD
    Butti wrote: »
    You sound like you need a clear out but logarithmic tables ......may be handy for insomnia?

I like the old books. It shows how things were different:

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there"
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Books! I can't tell you the number of times I've decluttered books (starting in my 20s when I moved in with my boyfriend and decluttered the books in my flat before I rented it out). The thing with books, is that old books smell. They all get dusty, old or new. And dust collects *around* them. They take up the space you've bought. And mine eventually became "unseen", just pieces of furniture that didn't contribute anything to my life ... but they can only go when *you* want them to go. And it sounds like you want them to stay :)

Good luck with sorting it all out.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ZTD
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Books! I can't tell you the number of times I've decluttered books (starting in my 20s when I moved in with my boyfriend and decluttered the books in my flat before I rented it out). The thing with books, is that old books smell. They all get dusty, old or new. And dust collects *around* them.

Mr Vacuum-Cleaner will sort that out. I will ensure good access as I always do. Though with IKEA not making those shelves any more, it may be that I should get glass fronted ones.
    They take up the space you've bought.

They do, but ultimately what would I use that space for instead? I'm not an aesthetist for whom empty space is a pleasure to behold.
    And mine eventually became "unseen", just pieces of furniture that didn't contribute anything to my life ...

That's the difference though, these books are mostly non-fiction and so retain their use. I've already pulled out some of my University text books. The amount of times I've said "I know where that is, that's in book X. And I have no idea which box book X is..." is unreal.
    but they can only go when *you* want them to go. And it sounds like you want them to stay :)

Good luck with sorting it all out.

It should be easy enough - they're being sorted by depth, so J K Rowling is next to Nassim Nicholas Taleb is next to Ken Stroud. I might make a few shuffles as I get more out, but ultimately I will rely on my brain to index them.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Then that's lovely! Your house, and your books, are going to be exactly the way you want them. I *do* recommend glass frontedness, but thats it :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ZTD
    Then that's lovely! Your house, and your books, are going to be exactly the way you want them. I *do* recommend glass frontedness, but thats it :)

Well I've looked at the IKEA glass fronted ones. They sell either a narrowish unit, or a wider unit that's 2 1/2 times the width at over 3 times the price...

Obviously that's more for the mathematically-challenged audience than I am.

In brighter news, I found the missing encyclopaedia volumes.

In less bright news, I have to go shopping... :eek:
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,162 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    **Passes shopping list **
    Thanks Z:p
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure