PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord taking the .....?!

Comments

• joAnn
    joAnn Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    G_M wrote: »
    Some friendly advice.

If you don't appeciate the tone or content of some responses, ignore them. Don't encourage farther debate on those points by responding, especially rsponding with a question!

Thank you, I just don't understand why some people get so nasty!
  • joAnn wrote: »
    Can you explain how this comment is relevant? Until you know my circumstances, or what our arrangements are, please refrain from making speculative judgments.

If you don't like the fact that people are commenting on the fact that you have an au pair, then you shouldn't have mentioned it in your OP as it was completely irrelevant anyway - another lesson learned eh?
  • How much are you paying your au pair? NI and tax sorted? Got the right insurance cover as an employer?

(I ask, having been an employer of an au pair in a previous existence)
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    joAnn wrote: »
    We asked our landlord for 2 additional keys - daughter mislaid one - ok, an accident but you're responsible for the cost of replacing the lock & same number of keys as before and new au pair needed one- sure, all yours as long as you pay for the key.
    . Happy to pay the money banham charged for new keys plus cover cost of secure postage- what about the other costs? . Landlord sent me receipts for keys and postage amounting to £42.65 but then asked me to round up to £45 to cover cost of time and transportation to nearest banham Office- that's generous, the petrol alone would likely use most of the £2.35, before you even get started on time.
    . I'm a bit shocked! I don't mind the £2odd but I do feel slightly as if we are being squeezed for every penny - if you're not willing to cover the LL's costs for your mistakes/requests, sounds like you're squeezing for every penny. and not sure how to respond?!
    Any suggestions?

The lost key is an accident but you are responsible for any resulting costs to replace the lock and keys. The point of a Banham lock is to ensure all keys are accounted for.. else when there are new tenants, you could find the misplaced key and let yourself back in! The additional key is a request beyond the initial agreement to rent, so the LL can fairly charge for the cost (or whatever you negotiate).

Costs include
    - cost of new lock
    - cost of additional keys to replace each existing key
    - cost of additional key for au pair
    - cost of fitting lock & removing old one
    - postage / transport costs
    - LL's time to get quotes, get keys cut
  • joAnn
    How much are you paying your au pair? NI and tax sorted? Got the right insurance cover as an employer?

(I ask, having been an employer of an au pair in a previous existence)

Unbelievable that some people need to go off on this sort of tangent!
    MYOB!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You appear to be begrudging a business £2.35 to cover the expenses they incur through your household's untidiness and an increase in your household employees.

There's two ways to look at that "tangent".
    The first is that it's a genuine attempt to help you understand legal requirements you may not fully appreciate.
    The other is less charitable - but, in the circumstances, I don't think idly wondering if your stinginess extends to breaking employment law is entirely unreasonable, do you?

Your defensiveness suggests the latter may not be inappropriate.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Your Daughter should pay something as they lost it.

I do feel slightly as if we are being squeezed for every penny.
    Any suggestions?
    We also overpaid them once £2.50 and they asked for my bank details to repay it but I let it go!

Failing to see it myself.
  • joAnn
    Yes I am stingy!
    The au pair, who obviously doesn't keep my house clean enough (how dare she) and incapable of finding a tiny missing key gets a very generous £1.50 a month! She sleeps on a sack in the shed (windows broken - oops!). We feed her food left over from the kids plates, if she's lucky that day. What else? No freedom, blankets, cultural. No way!! I'm too tight for that! What's the point of insurance? NI & Tax???? Excuse me?
    Phew. Now you all know my extremely generous package, and have had your two bits worth, I shall withdraw from this thread and count all my pennies in case I dropped one!
    Good day!
  • joAnn
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Your Daughter should pay something as they lost it.

Failing to see it myself.

I guess the money they want to round up is more or less covered by the couple of quid we have on 'credit!'
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    edited 6 December 2017 at 5:14PM
    Thank you, I just don't understand why some people get so nasty!

I suspect it may stem from the title of your thread....clearly when you set it you felt you were being taken for a ride ....or that the LL was extorting money unreasonably.

Perhaps if you want level advice then be a little more considerate about how you phrase things....it's not always easy to judge the tone of the written word .

I'm suddenly reminded of the poster yesterday,her query was daughter related too!!! who when they didn't like the general responses took offence at quite respected posters comments

by post 30 it's clearly toys out of the pram
    I guess you can't please all of the people all of the time.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport