Wedding Loan

Hi everyone

Me and partner are thinking of buying a house together, the house will be available on the market beginning of 2018 and available in September 2018. Now we are want to get married in October 2018, the problem is that I need 20k for the wedding and not sure how to get this as I'm a contractor (self employed) and waiting to apply for a mortgage. Should I apply for a loan after sorting out the mortgage ? or can I get a loan with the mortgage ?. I really need some advice on this.

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It still amazes me that people are willing to get into such a large debt for one day...
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Buy the house, save up to pay for all the things the house will need, then save up again and get married.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,415
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Ambassador
    My advice would be sort the house out then the wedding. Taking out a new mortgage and a loan at the same time for a wedding especially as high as £20k is a recipe for disaster when you don't have a regular income. I sincerely doubt you will get a lender to agree to it anyway at a favourable rate.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Link to soa: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

#1 1p savings challenge 2024 £110.26/£671.61
    #1 Save £12k in 2024 £3850/ £12000
  • You need 20k for a wedding and not sure how to get it? My suggestion would be to live within your means and lower expectations! Wedding is one day.
  • I paid £39 for my wedding.

The divorce cost significantly more.
  • 166million
    166million Posts: 1,233
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Wow, yes I echo what the other said.
    Have a think about what your priorities are and why
    What will happen if you don't get married, or do it on the cheap?
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 :staradmin No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,857
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    £20,000 for a wedding? That's 3-4 times as much as we're spending on our wedding and we can actually afford one. As in, we have the money to spend on it.

You'll find it difficult enough getting a mortgage as a self-employed contractor without throwing a £20,000 unsecured debt into the mix.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    £2k for our wedding however much of the stuff we got relatives to pay for as a wedding present. I think apart from my suit hire, the wife's dress, rings and the £160 I paid for a car everything else was covered by the gifts.
  • Lars_Olsen wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Me and partner are thinking of buying a house together, the house will be available on the market beginning of 2018 and available in September 2018. Now we are want to get married in October 2018, the problem is that I need 20k for the wedding and not sure how to get this as I'm a contractor (self employed) and waiting to apply for a mortgage. Should I apply for a loan after sorting out the mortgage ? or can I get a loan with the mortgage ?. I really need some advice on this.

No you don't, you need about £100 to get married, the other £19,900 is a want.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,500
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Going through process of a new house and getting married are two of the most stressful things you can do. To have them within a month of each other is bonkers.

You don’t need 20k you want to spend that. You can do weddings on the cheap and still get what to want. Save for the wedding if you really want to get married that day.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts