PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I found a fab cd radio player for £4 which was great as my other one had recently broken, n also a quirky little purse for £3 :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    sweetpea26 wrote: »
    Good morning

I had the day to myself yesterday due to husband and big 'kids' away for the day. I was very fortunate to find some great items in my local town.

An ALEXON camel coat ! £5 like new and gorgeous
    Pair of Marks Spencer Black Jeans new with tags £3.50
    6 Christmas placemats perfect condition £2 (Deers)
    11 items Kids coats tops (GAP NEXT ETC) 50P Each
    1 good read 50p

2 soft stuffed Santa and Snowman for my friend 50p each
    1 pair of brand new loose top socks with tags ideal for an elderly relative who find socks too tight 50p (had a £4 label.)

total of £18

I had allowed myself a budget of £20 which is so much more than I normally do. I try not spend more than £5 on a hunt :)

I had a further £2 left so called at a local independent little charity shop where I found 2 Lindy Bowman Traditional Christmas Gift boxes £1...checked these out they can be quite expensive. Will keep these as decorations for my dining room.
    A bottle of Paris Perfume !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! £1

I dont buy perfume just body spray but am delighted to have found this ... the last few weeks I have left about 6 bags of donations to this little shop and I could spot some of my items on the shelves :)

I am really pleased with myself and have donated a hard earned £20 to these small independent little shops that help so many local people. I was delighted to find the 6 placemats as my Christmas ones are starting to look shabby.

An Alexon coat is a very good find, my Mum and sister used to always be talking about that brand when I was a child and my sister worked for Windsmoor and Planet.
    Exactly Miro

I prefer to go to the small local run shops the first one that I purchased great clothing, feeds and clothes many people on a weekly basis. Its church linked with an excellent ethos. Many well off people clear their wardrobes out so the rest of us can benefit from items they do not want. I donate anything we dont need or use to the two little shops as I believe they do good work for needy people. There is so much waste in our society and people buying stuff they never even take the labels off !! This time of the year tough on those with very little. So much more push to buy buy buy stuff !!!!!!! sickening really.

Here Here.
    Wonderful !!!! what a superb gift that has created many memories

I actually know of people who throw perfectly good clean expensive clothes in the black bin !!!!!!!!!! I could not believe it when she said she done such a thing. That is more than wasteful, its sinful!

I know what you mean, I have a friend who told me that when her children get a mark on their school uniform she throws it in the bin and buys new, they were in primary school at the time and I told her that was the exact purpose of the uniform, to save spoiling other clothes. Same friend also told me that she had her thermostat set at 19 degrees at night and I said I don't know how you sleep to which she replied oh we have the windows open:mad:.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    silvasava - that outfit sounds very sophisticated.

Miro - you sound very snug.

I am wearing a pair of Next tall skinny jeans £3.99 ish and a conflower blue cable knit pringle jumper which I got as part of a 3 for £1 deal at a carboot.

I haven't bought anything for a while now, I did look this weekend and saw in the BHF a Hudson & Rose (never come across this brand before) cable knit jumper dress, I had a quick look and it wasn't in amazing condition or anything and it was £7.99 - needless to say I didn't buy it.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • On the subject of Star Buys, my bloke has a battered leather jacket bought for £10 approx 20 years ago that he's worn every winter since (his wardrobe policy is winter: 1 coat required, summer: no coat required, therefore total number of coats owned = 1). It gets complimentary comments for its 70s cop vibe; basically he looks like he can roll over a car bonnet shouting "you're nicked, son" at any moment. A young lad working in a cafe once admired it and we told him he should be searching chazzers for similar bargains, so hopefully we created a convert there.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • I'm off to the charity shop tomorrow as I didn't get up early enough today to fit it in before my appointment!:p

I have been through my wardrobe again and found a few more things to donate as well.
    It gets complimentary comments for its 70s cop vibe; basically he looks like he can roll over a car bonnet shouting "you're nicked, son" at any moment.

:rotfl::T
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :T I love this ethos. I figure that the raw materials and energy which are already embodied in existing clothes ought to be used before new clothes are created, and am doing my share of re-purposing.
    This is the exact argument I responded to my dad with: so much perfectly good stuff goes to waste because of consumerism. His view was again about over-consumption, ie that I don’t need the stuff I buy at all - and if I do (eg furniture for my new home) it should be brand new. This is where we fundamentally disagree - Gumtree has been my friend in such situations.

Whilst dropping off a load of stuff to the local CRUK yesterday, I noticed 2 Bayliss & Harding sets ;)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,241 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    ...Whilst dropping off a load of stuff to the local CRUK yesterday, I noticed 2 Bayliss & Harding sets ;)

I hope you didn't buy anything...!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 December 2017 at 2:35PM
    Re Bayliss n Harding sets , my DD has once again bought my Mum one ,despite my warnings of where it will end up:rotfl:
    FLOSS , I love the chazzers up your way , especially the Lytham ones ��
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 December 2017 at 4:23PM
    dolly84 wrote: »
    silvasava - that outfit sounds very sophisticated.

Miro - you sound very snug.

I am wearing a pair of Next tall skinny jeans £3.99 ish and a conflower blue cable knit pringle jumper which I got as part of a 3 for £1 deal at a carboot.

I haven't bought anything for a while now, I did look this weekend and saw in the BHF a Hudson & Rose (never come across this brand before) cable knit jumper dress, I had a quick look and it wasn't in amazing condition or anything and it was £7.99 - needless to say I didn't buy it.

:o I read that as 'you sound very smug' and felt very deflated * :o

Wasn't meant to be chazza shop hunting today but as I passed the community shop couldn't resist calling in. Came out with a heavy long scarf/shawl type of thing in autumnal shades of orange, brown, black, wine & yellow with teeny tiny diamond stones scattered all over it, (sparkly but not too blingy!) and thick black fringing at both ends. £1.

I actually witnessed someone buying a B & H gifty set today too :eek: I felt like saying in my best 'Linda'** voice, "are you really sure about that?"

* Note to self, book an eye test in the New Year!
    ** 'The Archers' reference!
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Moved to a lovely town a few months ago and picking up lots of bargains at the charity shops
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure