Anglian Water

Options
Does anyone know what to do in this situation? Please Help
Anglian Water ruined my credit history!

Anglian Water issued a default on my file in March this year when I already moved out of the property.
I found out that I got an account with Anglian Water when I did my Experian credit check.
I was shocked to see that there was such a massive problem and a default. I contacted Anglian Water they said that it was my responsibility to inform them that I moved house and they did everything correct all the procedures and sent letters to my old address. Now I got a default on my file ... can anything be done to remove it?

Thank you

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

What do you mean by 'I found out that I got an account with Anglian Water'?

Are you saying that you didn't notify Anglian when you moved in and have not been paying any water bills?

Or

That you were paying water bills, but didn't notify them you were leaving the property and thus didn't pay a closing account bill?

Unless I have misunderstood the situation, it seems Anglian have acted correctly and without sounding harsh, you have ruined your own credit record.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does anyone know what to do in this situation? Please Help
    Anglian Water ruined my credit history!

Anglian Water issued a default on my file in March this year when I already moved out of the property.
    I found out that I got an account with Anglian Water when I did my Experian credit check.
    I was shocked to see that there was such a massive problem and a default. I contacted Anglian Water they said that it was my responsibility to inform them that I moved house and they did everything correct all the procedures and sent letters to my old address. Now I got a default on my file ... can anything be done to remove it?

Thank you

Surely you would have known you had an account when they billed you throughout your tenancy/home ownership (you don't specify which)

From the information you have given in your post it does sound like Anglian have acted appropriately.

I guess the only way you wouldn't be responsible and could dispute the cost of the bill would be if your tenancy agreement (if you rented) stated that your bills were either included in your rent (and therefore paid for by the LL) or not your responsibility and were that of the LL. Both would be unusual and both are on the assumption you rented not owed.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Agatatrolleydolly - welcome to the forum.

We sometimes move threads so they get a better response. I have moved your thread to the Water bills sub-board for this reason.

If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family