Everything & Anything New York City

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AG47 wrote: »
    One other thing, to hire a car in ny is a uk driving licence enough? Or do you need an international one?
    A few years ago a UK one was fine, and they didn't even ask to look at DH's even though we had him as a named drive.
    Trying to decide if driving round NY city is best considering parking charges and all, or just get train from hotel?
    Do NOT drive around NY city. Never mind the parking charges, just finding a space would be a challenge, and the actual driving - nooooooo!
    I agree with richardw, get the train

IMO you'd have to be certifiably insane to hire a car to drive around NYC :eek:

(Cue several people saying they did and it was fine, but I've driven thousands of miles in nearly two dozen different states and wouldn't in a million years even consider driving in Manhattan)
    We drove back to the airport after we'd hired a car from OUTSIDE NYC and that was bad enough. No way would I have wanted to drive in the time we were actually staying in NY.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • AG47
    AG47 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    A few years ago a UK one was fine, and they didn't even ask to look at DH's even though we had him as a named drive.

Do NOT drive around NY city. Never mind the parking charges, just finding a space would be a challenge, and the actual driving - nooooooo!

We drove back to the airport after we'd hired a car from OUTSIDE NYC and that was bad enough. No way would I have wanted to drive in the time we were actually staying in NY.

Thanks, o what the deal with hiring a car, what licence do you need?
    Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Thanks, o what the deal with hiring a car, what licence do you need?
    A UK licence is all you need. It's very unlikely that you'll be asked for anything beyond the normal photo bit, but it might be a good idea to take all the bits and do the DVLC code thing as well.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • AG47
    John259 wrote: »
    A UK licence is all you need. It's very unlikely that you'll be asked for anything beyond the normal photo bit, but it might be a good idea to take all the bits and do the DVLC code thing as well.

Thanks John, I only have a photo add, so this is all I cn bring.

I was reading Martin Lewis page about being careful with extra insurance, he said also make sure the credit card is in the drivers name.

I have another concern, my parents are paying for our hotel with their credit card, will this matter? Will the hotel insist that the card be of the name of the people staying there?
  • AG47
    What's it like hiring a car and driving round USA?

Not in the city, but just outside NY city, in Connecticut
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Easy, big wide roads, car with auto transmission.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • AG47
    Is it ok to use parents credit card at hotel? If it's different name
  • AG47
    The hotel says you can use another persons credit card but they want a photocopy of the front and back.

This is ok isn't it?

It's just that my in laws have a better credit card for pounds to dollars, I get hit by all kinds of charges on my card.

So we want to put the flights and hotel on my in laws credit card and give them the pounds sterling later.

We will pay for most other things in usd that we are exchanging
  • bobbyhibs
    bobbyhibs Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    hi

Having recently booked up for new york in may 2018-ye i know its ages away. i have started planning our trip and looking for some advice on any hidden gems- places of intrest if you will, weather it would be a fav bar or place to eat, a place you go every time you go to new york!

also- any tips on great places to take photos? i guess places with views looking down on the city, but other ideas are welcomed of course!!
    we are planning to do top of the rock again, we did this on our last trip and were amazed!

any advice welcomed, we are going for 6 days- staying at the sheraton times sqaure and are counting down the days!!
    any tips -advice most welcomed
    kind regards
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    bobbyhibs wrote: »
    weather it would be a fav bar or place to eat, a place you go every time you go to new york!

My favourite place to eat is the spotted pig in the west village i think its now michelin starred, i could be wrong though, the food is great and a good atmosphere in the bar.

My go to, and it never feels like ive arrived in new york unless i go here, is virgils, which just off times square.

For a liquid evening i highly recommend the trailer park lounge its trashy americana but the drinks are good, the wait staff are awesome, and i love their bar food.

Things to do, have you walked the highline? You can get some decent pics from there as its a dis used subway track which is above street level.

You mention youve been up totr however have you done it at sun down. If not get up there an hour before sunset and watch the sunset and manhattan light up, this is the one thing i always do when i take people to new york.

Also i highly recommend pre organising a big apple greeter, they are totally free and they arent even allowed to take tips, my last one wouldnt even allow me to buy him a coffee. When you request one you can mention you wish to see some unusual places to take photos and they will hook you up.

If you let us know a tad more about you then someone may be able to suggest some different things to do
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport