Rubbish Kia Warranty - pay to check symptom.

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Not even that. Serviced to manufacturer spec, using manufacturer-quality parts.

Yes, you're right - though i wasnt sure about the likes of KIA.

On a car under manufacturers warranty i'm inclined to take it to the main dealer anyway if they're not looking a stupid amount for it.

The only one we didnt do recently was my FILs Nissan Note. The main dealer closest to us was looking a frankly ridiculous £200 for a standard service. We bought the full service kit off a main dealer on ebay for a fraction of that and had a local mechanic fit it. Save £100 ish from memory, which is a lot to my FIL.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    Yes, you're right - though i wasnt sure about the likes of KIA.
    Legal requirement for them to honour the warranty, so long as you can demonstrate that. EU block exemption rules, dating back a decade and a half or so.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Forumite
    Legal requirement for them to honour the warranty, so long as you can demonstrate that. EU block exemption rules, dating back a decade and a half or so.

Sounds about right.

As i said, my general view is under manufacturers warranty, get it serviced by the franchised dealer. Thats just personal preference, not a necessity.
  • AdrianC
    Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    Sounds about right.

As i said, my general view is under manufacturers warranty, get it serviced by the franchised dealer. Thats just personal preference, not a necessity.
    It'll certainly help when it comes to any borderline warranty calls, and it's essential if you want any out-of-warranty goodwill.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    ...then pay the indy garage for the work they've done. Meanwhile, Kia will take a look and say "Hold on, this has been taken apart recently outside the dealer chain. Warranty claim refused."
    Absolutely not. Read my post again as in a small claim, an examination by an independent garage would be held as a third-party opinion.

A dealership is therefore not in a position to criticise a garage just because that garage doesn't have the manufacturer's sign above the door. There are competent and experienced mechanics outside the dealership network and gaining an independent party's opinion would be useful in supporting a potential claim against a dealership. Hopefully things won't progress to that stage in this case.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,925
    Forumite
    My route to work includes some traffic lights on a hill.

Pretty much every day, I can see an idiot or two who holds the car steady using the clutch. I presume they think they're being clever.

Perhaps one of them was the previous owner of your car?
  • rob7475
    rob7475 Posts: 845
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think Hyundai / Kia are getting notorious for weak clutches.

My Hyundai IX35 was struggling to engage a couple of gears last year. It was 2.5 year old with just over 50,000 miles. The dealer tried the same with me, we'll charge you for diagnostics and if it's wear and tear I'll have to pay for a new clutch. They called me a few hours later to tell me the clutch was worn out.

I've owned the car since almost new and I've never worn a clutch out in 20 years of driving. So, I escalated to Hyundai UK who made the dealer strip the gearbox and send them photo's of the clutch and gearbox. Hyundai found that the clutch was fine and synchro rings had failed in the gearbox. They repaired this under warranty and offered me my 60k service for free as a goodwill gesture for the dealer trying to rip me off.

It may be worth getting a second opinion from KIA UK.
  • Our Picanto is 2.5 years old and done 8600 miles. Just had to pay £514 for a new clutch because they said it was worn and due to bad driving. I have been driving for 50 years and never bought a clutch. Our last car, a Nissan Micra was 12 years old from new and done 60,000 miles without a new clutch. Kia are rubbish and this Full 7 year warranty is a confidence trick. Customer service is non existant. I plan to take this further using the press to warn others. The question is When is a full 7 year warranty not a 7 year warranty? Answer - if its a KIA/. Obviously I do not expect new tyres or wipers etc but ..... come on a clutch after 8600 miles. Someone is having a laugh and it is not this pensioner.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235
    Forumite
    marlot wrote: »
    My route to work includes some traffic lights on a hill.

Pretty much every day, I can see an idiot or two who holds the car steady using the clutch. I presume they think they're being clever.

Perhaps one of them was the previous owner of your car?
    Weirdly, my wifes driving instructor used to suggest riding the clutch to keep the car still when waiting on a slope.
  • AdrianC
    Forumite
    buglawton wrote: »
    Weirdly, my wifes driving instructor used to suggest riding the clutch to keep the car still when waiting on a slope.
    Did you hear that straight from their lips, or might there be an element of Chinese Whispers involved?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback