The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,428 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Totally agreed - it's brightened up here (didn't think it would this am), so we popped out earlier rather than later to avoid the heat.

I am now a woman in possession of a notebook AND a Weekly planner! Whoot!

And yes, I know you can draw lines in a notebook etc, but as it happens, the planner was 69p and I couldn't (today) find any cheaper (suitable) notebooks in HB. My other notebook is mahoosive - so I'd better get filling it with plans, aspirations, tasks, chores and dreams......... :D

I snagged a couple of avocados in M&$ - not yet ripe, but at 90p for two organic avocados, I couldn't resist. They were actually cheaper than the grocers non-organic offering (although to be fair, they were bigger). I did buy some nectarines from the grocer, 5 for a pand - here's hoping they ripen to edibility.........

I also have my oven chips, so Sunday's tea is sorted - we can go hither and yon, or stay put with impunity, and still eat :D Her0n had the big 0nken yoghurt b10pots (1kg?) for 89p BB 30/5, so I got one of those too.

Right, best go and so summat constructive (BG is napping)

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    edited 26 May 2017 at 11:27AM
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Phew! Warm enough for ya? Too warm for me - shrinking violet that I am.

I've had a bitsy afternoon. Not achieved overmuch and then achieved quite a bit, so not so bad.

Tea this evening morphed into a mezze plate as opposed to a buddha bowl. I can truthfully [STRIKE]brag[/STRIKE] say that I bought nothing specifically for it, and that it was the product of what was in the fridge, freezer and store cupboard, so I'm feeling a little bit MSE! :D Clockwise from noon we have Gigantes Plaki (served at room temp,), HM Hummus, African Black-eyed bean salad, Caper and Olive Tapenao, a sliced avocado, HM flatbread and Pugilese Beetroot Salad. Picture here;

009_zps1u8hrjvq.jpg

The tapeo was a recipe from Elizabeth Luard's 'Welsh Farmhouse Year cookbook'. I can't find a link, I'm afraid. It was good though, I would make it again. I used mrL olives and HB capers. Worked well. The flatbread was my 'goto' recipe, but I followed EL's lead from the same cookbook, and although I didn't make her flatbread recipe, I did roll them out into 'slipper' (ciabatta) shapes for a change. Think mine are possibly more 'pitta' shape, but the intention was there........ :rotfl: The avocado was the second one - we were supposed to have one, rather than half each, but the first one I cut into was black as yer hat, so it got composted. 25p wasted :( I think I was most pleased with the black-eye bean salad, as it was made from a 1/4rd of a tub of left over beans from the freezer, used up the last cherry tommies constructively, utilised a tiny piece of cucumber that was virtually good for nowt, and was actually far more colourful than the picture suggests.

We were engaged in making tea/feeding BG/preparing them for bed and generally trying to live our lives of an evening, only to be interrupted by a couple of canvassers for a political party - it matters not which one. What on earth do these people think that 'hard-working families' do at 6.30pm of an evening! :mad:

Today i am grateful for these 3 things;

Reflection

Reinvention - ...... of leftovers :D

Rejuvenation - I've a plan and a note book! :rotfl:

Ta for popping in, reading and supporting. Appreciated. Greatly.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Hope you managed some sleep if it is sweltering where you are. We were up with the larks, and a particularly operatic Blackbird (perils of needing the window open.....).

Today will mostly be about keeping out of the scorchio sunbeams and tidying up. At least it's free! :D

We will pop out early on to get a breath of air, but shouldn't need to get anything from the high street. Maybe we'll walk the other way instead.

Tea this evening will be pizza and wedges. Mushroom pizza and wedges made with YS'd 'Chopin' potatoes. I've no idea what they'll be like, but they are british produce according to m&$ labelling. I must admit, I'm not really in the mood for pizza, but we'll see. Perhaps I'll feel differently by this afternoon.

I've made up a batch of 'Easy' slow rise bread from a recipe I've not tried before. The dough is very, very wet........ I don't usually have luck transformer wet dough into anything other than wet not-cooked through dough :( We'll see.

Right, best vamoose and get a head start on the day, it's going to be a hot one!

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lovely food perfect for summer weather, (I agree about pizza though).
    Great to have a plan and a timescale but also easy to get overwhelmed. Good luck with ticking off the bits as you go.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    It's always helpful if you call recipes/foodstuffs by their correct names. I realised that I called the olive/caper spread the wrong name in yesterday's post and have been able to find a'sort of' link for it - it's not got quantities, and clearly I didn't bother with the tuna, anchovies nor pastis, but you do need black pepper and also I put in some lemon juice, which prinked it up no end - I would do that again in future. So, Caper and Olive Tapenao by Elizabeth Luard, is yours for the making!

Well, we went out for a quick walk - quite far, but I walked very quickly!! And we went to a store on the edge of Greying Town, which has something that we're thinking of buying to allow progress. They had them in stock, and they are the best price, so I can legitimately say that my 'research' trip this morning will help us to move forward!

It was more than hot enough, we were back in the house before 11am and drunk plenty of water out and about and on our return.

I'm going to bake my bread just now as it'll make the kitchen far too hot this afternoon with the oven on and the sun moved around. BG is currently full of beans and showing no sign of needing a nap - ho hum.

I really don't think we'll have pizza for tea - well, not freshly made anyway, might dig some out of the freezer instead. Undecided.

Right, best get on with chores, no use waiting for BG to fall asleep, they might miss summat ;):rotfl:

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Verbatim
    Options
    How very intriguing GP! Is it storage, or a caravan perhaps? Or decorating equipment or door handles to replace old ones (that's what we need)!
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow it's a hot one today!

(Don't tell anyone across the pond I said that they will think I'm a wimp - :rotfl:)

What a beautiful MSE plate you made GP - I envy your creativity!

Another long weekend means that for us we will be tackling the recurrent theme of storecupboard and freezer challenge. I forsee something with rice, something with pasta, something with eggs and something with cheese... not all at the same time of course!

Look forward to hearing of your 13 week challenge and cheering you on as you go!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options

Oh I'm afraid it was just a 'tool' I was looking at, nothing half as romantic as a caravan, I'm afraid :( It costs less than a 'score', but by doing my research, we will save a 'Lady Godiva' compared to the same thing sold in other shops :j

Gonna be another hot one here today.

Tea last night ended up being garlic mushroom pasta with Woodland Asparagus pesto - a recipe recommended to us by Fortune, 2? years ago, as a way of utilising the 'woody' ends of asparagus. Tickles me everytime that I make it, that something that is routinely thrown away, can actually make a useful foodstuff :D Anyway, it was just right for the weather, made use of some of the mushrooms (rest will go in a curry tonight) and also made use of 'leftovers' :j Picture here;

001_zpsyaxcwahh.jpg

We've got to go about hither and yon, doing chores. Which is going to be made more difficult by road closures and extra traffic generated by events. Ah well, can't be helped I guess.

I have already spent money this morning. We took advantage of the XXL event at mrL and bought some of their baby wipes, and we needed more bread spread so DH picked up a tub from mrT whilst out and about.

I'm getting a bit behind with updating my spending diary, but have all the receipts to hand, so just need to do it!

I had avocado toast for breakfast using the HM bread and an organic YS'd avocado. The toast wasn't great - I really don't think that the recipe is a keeper, the bread was not better than Dan Lepard's milk bread recipe (which makes super toast), DH didn't like the toast and as a dough, it's too sticky to work with. My YS'd avocado for 45p also ended up costing nearly £1 as I tried to use one of the market avocaodos first - black as your hat inside :( Cut the next one, which seemed ripe, but actually wasn't - so had to ditch it :( Think I may pass on buying avocados from the market'all for a while - no need for me to venture in there at this rate! Has anyone any experience of mrL avocados - are they about 95p each? Any good?

Right, best go and do some constructive things :D

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Verbatim
    Options
    Well of course I knew that whatever you'd bought, whether caravan, cupboard or calliper would be well researched and barginaceous!
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options

We've been up for yonks................................

Can't believe it is still morning.

Anyhoo, have busied ourselves doing this that and t'other. Tidying and sorting and maintenance, so we've not been idle :D

I had the second YS'd organic avocado for my breakfast this morning. Lovely. I have to say that that is 5/5 avocados (YS'd) bought and eaten from m&$ now. It does make me wonder about the 'failure' rate of the '4 for a pand' avocados...... Ah well, we've all had produce that has disappointed, and I'm sure the produce in the 'posh' stores are not immune........ Actually, in fact I know they are not, because there was some YS'd cherries that were mouldy as anything in a certain shop with a food'all the other week........

Tea last night was a curry plate. I have to say that it was the most unattractive plate of food I have ever seen :( The aduki bean curry looked like the cat had eaten too much kibble....... However, it tasted OK. Aduki bean with ginger and garlic and Mushroom Curry were served with basmati rice. Picture here;

001_zpsfckkh2gp.jpg

Hope we can get out and about this afternoon. Tea will be fish, chips and mushy peas.

As yet we've spent no money, but we'll probably go and invest in that tool, so that will involve expenditure.

Right, I can squeeze in some more tidying before making lunch.

Ta for popping in and reading. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure