care Home fees, can I retain the family bungalow

Options

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    Options
    They would if the car was half owned by the person needing care. The other half of the house was put into trust simply as a means to protect that asset from being used for care costs, if the the other owner wants to keep the house (or car) then they have to find the funds to do so.

How do you know that? We have the same provision as that in our wills. Whoever dies first, our son will inherit their half in a trust. But we didn't do it to avoid care home fees, just thought that due to our particular family circumstances it would be better if he inherited sooner rather than later.

The solicitor suggested the trust, it wasn't our idea.

We are happy to pay for any care and could fund it for a few years without touching the property, so have no need to do it for that reason.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    How do you know that? We have the same provision as that in our wills. Whoever dies first, our son will inherit their half in a trust. But we didn't do it to avoid care home fees, just thought that due to our particular family circumstances it would be better if he inherited sooner rather than later.

The solicitor suggested the trust, it wasn't our idea.

We are happy to pay for any care and could fund it for a few years without touching the property, so have no need to do it for that reason.

Yes that was a bit of an assumption on my behalf, but as the question was about avoiding care costs I think a reasonable one.
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 March 2018 at 11:17AM
    Options
    I am not being harsh.

My MiL's house (OH's childhood home) is just about to be marketed to fund her residential care. My parents are both elderly homeowners and my mother has been severely disabled for a couple of decades (I share her care with my very nearly 81-year-old father but do not live with them).

Despite requiring 24/7 care my mother will not qualify for NHS funding and both parents are highly likely to be self-funders should either require residential care. Because my mother acquired a disabling condition in her early 50s the odds have always been higher for our family that she will require residential care and for longer than average.

All of the above people fall into the 'worked hard and sacrificed to buy their home' category.

Our entire welfare system struggles to differentiate between the reckless and the unlucky, and luck plays a big part in whether or not any of us will require residential care. It's up to us as individuals to insure ourselves against bad luck.

The bottom line is that my parents' hard work has also enabled their independence throughout my mum's many years of disability, and will provide the best available residential care should either need it. Parents place a high value on the self-respect that their independence gives. Despite knowing for many years that my mum was at high risk of requiring residential care they chose not to take any steps to protect the house from the means-test as any such steps would have compromised their control of their asset.

My dad had a recent spell of ill-health that required several long hospitals stays (and long post-op recoveries). I moved into my parents' home for several weeks on each occasion. This situation catalysed a discussion of their future care needs as I am not able to care for mum 24/7 on a live-in, long-term basis. When my dad can no longer share her care a residential home is the only viable alternative. If that happens their home will be excluded from the means test during my dad's lifetime but at the expense of the choice/quality of residential home as she would have to be LA-funded in order that dad can be housed. If dad predeceases her then she will immediately qualify as a self-funder and their home would need to be sold.

My dad has the same chance as everyone else of requiring residential care and it's possible that both parents will be concurrent self-funders.

I have never expected support from my parents. I don't expect support from them after they die. They have passed-on their attitude of self-sufficiency and independence. Reliance on the state = a loss of choice and control. I don't want that for myself so why should I expect my parents to surrender their hard-won independence in order to provide me with a financial benefit?

Our elderly parents' home is usually their biggest asset and giver of financial security. Many will need it to provide independence and choice in old age. Why should they compromise their final years in order to fulfil our expectations of 'property-as-inheritance'? Why should the taxpayer (mostly younger, working people) pick-up the tab to do likewise?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Regarding the often mentioned situation, where people resent having to use all their assets to pay for the same care as others get free and the 'taxpayer' saying that they should not be expected to fund those who have assets :

I think neither would mind supporting non-contributors who have genuinely been unable to contribute ,because illness prevented work or because of the circumstances of a bygone age (woman was badly paid or had to be the 'housewife' leaving work for the men), but the problem is those who shirked work for years, got away with feigned illness (back in the days when self certification got benefits) or lived the Life of Riley in the full knowledge that someone else would fund them later.

These are the ones who cause the resentment and if these could be sorted out (only very basic care) the 'taxpayer' and self funding people would have to pay less. Alas, it probably can't be done.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Currently have one relative in a care home, their house was sold and paying fees of £1,300 per week for excellent care in a beautiful home. Her LA warned us they won't pick up the fees if the money runs out, the home they are willing to pay for is £600 a week and she would hate it. So my "inheritance" is disappearing at a very rapid rate but it is her money and should be spent for her comfort.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Regarding the often mentioned situation, where people resent having to use all their assets to pay for the same care as others get free and the 'taxpayer' saying that they should not be expected to fund those who have assets :

I think neither would mind supporting non-contributors who have genuinely been unable to contribute ,because illness prevented work or because of the circumstances of a bygone age (woman was badly paid or had to be the 'housewife' leaving work for the men), but the problem is those who shirked work for years, got away with feigned illness (back in the days when self certification got benefits) or lived the Life of Riley in the full knowledge that someone else would fund them later.

These are the ones who cause the resentment and if these could be sorted out (only very basic care) the 'taxpayer' and self funding people would have to pay less. Alas, it probably can't be done.

I think what really causes the resentment is loss of inheritance. believe me as the years go on getting funded care is going to get more difficult, and the actual quality of that care will decline.

My mother should have been in care a year before she was, but her condition was not bad enough to get her past the funding panel. When she did get the funding after a hospitalisation we had the choice of one home. A rather old fashioned place with tiny bedrooms, and although the staff were great and she received good care, it would not the sort of place I would want to spend my final days in.

Anyone who deliberately does away with their option of self funding really should think again. We certainly are not going to do that, we want quality care in a nice environment, and I can’t see anyone else but us paying for that in 10-25 years time.
  • Larac
    Larac Posts: 945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 March 2018 at 6:16PM
    Options
    Currently have one relative in a care home, their house was sold and paying fees of £1,300 per week for excellent care in a beautiful home. Her LA warned us they won't pick up the fees if the money runs out, the home they are willing to pay for is £600 a week and she would hate it. So my "inheritance" is disappearing at a very rapid rate but it is her money and should be spent for her comfort.

Large sum of money to find the when the money runs out? My Mum was self funding and the contract I signed it was clear that the family would have to pay any form of top up. Best will in the world, we would not have been able to afford that sort of sum of money each week.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Larac wrote: »
    Large sum of money to find the when the money runs out? My Mum was self funding and the contract I signed it was clear that the family would have to pay any form of top up. Best will in the world, we would not have been able to afford that sort of sum of money each week.

She has a good pension that would pay half of it so if the council will pay £600 and she can pay £650 it doesn't leave much. I couldn't leave her in a dump, the place the council favoured was a dump, and if it comes to it will pay the £50. She has money from her house we have invested so she will need to live well past 100 before it is an issue.

Thinking about it I might be in a home by the time her money runs out:eek:
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 3 April 2018 at 4:36PM
    Options
    She has a good pension that would pay half of it so if the council will pay £600 and she can pay £650 it doesn't leave much. I couldn't leave her in a dump, the place the council favoured was a dump, and if it comes to it will pay the £50. She has money from her house we have invested so she will need to live well past 100 before it is an issue.

Thinking about it I might be in a home by the time her money runs out:eek:

I think you may find that the LA take any pension income (state and private) as an offset against their funding element so this unfortunately doesn't necessarily help with the shortfall.

When we were looking at potential homes for the MiL we had assumed that if she ran out of money (i.e. got down to £23,250 of savings) and qualified for LA funding that a) she could use the £23,250 towards the shortfall and b) she could also use her pension to top up as well.

However, we were told that you are not allowed to use any of the £23,250 (no idea why?) towards the shortfall and that the LA will take all of any pensions/income (up to the amount they fund) and the resident just gets given around £25 a week spending money. Hence, depending on pension income, it could still fall on the family to fund the top up difference or else the person would have to move to a care home that only charges at the LA funding level.

I accept the need for houses to be sold for care and that seems reasonable, but this other element of taking 'all' pension income to fund the LA contribution just doesn't seem quite fair to me (just taking state pension element seems fairer as that would apply to all or most).
  • humptydumptybits
    humptydumptybits Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    edited 3 April 2018 at 7:24PM
    Options
    Shedman wrote: »
    I think you may find that the LA take any pension income (state and private) as an offset against their funding element so this unfortunately doesn't necessarily help with the shortfall.

When we were looking at potential homes for the MiL we had assumed that if she ran out of money (i.e. got down to £23,250 of savings) and qualified for LA funding that a) she could use the £23,250 towards the shortfall and b) she could also use her pension to top up as well.

However, we were told that you are not allowed to use any of the £23,250 (no idea why?) towards the shortfall and that the LA will take all of any pensions/income (up to the amount they fund) and the resident just gets given around £25 a week spending money. Hence, depending on pension income, it could still fall on the family to fund the top up difference or else the person would have to move to a care home that only charges at the LA funding level.

I accept the need for houses to be sold for care and that seems reasonable, but this other element of taking 'all' pension income to fund the LA contribution just doesn't seem quite fair to me (just taking state pension element seems fairer as that would apply to all or most).

Oh well we will just have to hope her pension and income from her £600k investments lasts long enough, obviously the £600k is reducing but the interest means we aren't using much of the capital. We were told that they would take the state pension but not the private one, don't know if councils have different policies? As it is she would be well over 100 by the time that is an issue so who knows where we all be by then?

As I said she is in a beautiful home with lovely grounds and very good staff so it is worth it. Even if her husband had sorted it so I inherited half the house the money would still have been spent on her, I think very little of someone who thinks their inheritance is more important than the well being of the elderly person who might leave them the inheritance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure