tip from a gas engineer on frozen condensate pipes

Comments

• Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I knew an electrician once who had an equipotential bonding rod stuck up his ar... Some would have said earth rod, not him. When he got to hospital and the houseman offered to remove it he demanded at least a consultant. Some people are obsessed by titles.

Once in my career I went from a job title that sounded quite grand to a lesser title in a more demanding role for more money. Some preferred to stay where they were because of the title. Some had envy towards those with the grander title. I cried all the way to the bank.

An earth electrode (e.g. rod) has nothing to do with protective equipotential bonding. That's why it's not carried a bonding rod. Earthing and bonding are completely different concepts.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    For goodness sake! This is like kids in a playground.
    Can we please get back to the topic in the original question and not this " mine is bigger than yours" argument.
  • It!!!8217;s much more pleasant if you just put Risteard on mute. If you look through his posting history you!!!8217;ll see he!!!8217;s nothing more than a sad troll who spends most of his time being pedantic and nitpicking other people!!!8217;s posts. He rarely offers any useful or constructive advice to anyone and it makes you wonder why he bothers posting on here at all.
  • lg13mza
    lg13mza Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 March 2018 at 5:56PM
    EachPenny wrote: »
    No, the specific title in the UK which is protected is "Chartered Engineer". A degree is not necessary (although is the easiest entry route) but corporate membership of a chartered professional body plus registration with the Engineering Council is required.

The 'abuse' (if any) is actually by Chartered Engineers not calling themselves that and insisting others respect the title. But that might have something to do with the typical character traits associated with Chartered Engineers. Chartered Surveyors and Chartered Accountants for example have far fewer qualms about using their correct titles.

The broad equivalent in Germany and various other countries is likewise legally protected. However, in the US an 'engineer' can also be someone who drives railway trains.

I don't have an issue with people who fix gas appliances or washing machines calling themselves engineers. However, as a society I think we would be better off if there was a more specific title available and widely understood.

Part of the problem with people being ripped off by cowboys is that they phone for an 'engineer' and associate the word with someone who knows what they are doing and can be trusted. Therefore when the cowboy arrives the customer is less inclined to question the spiel they are given, because they somehow imagine the 'engineer' is qualified and professional (rather than a bloke with a box of tools and a phone).

The Government could improve things by restricting tradespeople from using the word 'engineer' unless they have a recognised qualification/training/apprenticeship, but frankly it would be a waste of time because the public will still use and understand the word 'engineer' in the way that they want to.

Semantics really. A UK passport application asks for: be a professional person (including those who are retired) for example bank or building society officials, police officers, civil servants, ministers of religion and people with professional qualifications like teachers, accountants, engineers, and solicitors. Note the lack of the word 'chartered'.

Other than that I'm not really sure what your point was.

I bet you are a dream to sit next to at parties.:beer:
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    lg13mza wrote: »
    Semantics really. A UK passport application asks for: be a professional person (including those who are retired) for example bank or building society officials, police officers, civil servants, ministers of religion and people with professional qualifications like teachers, accountants, engineers, and solicitors.

Note the lack of the word 'chartered'.

...but the inclusion of the words "professional qualifications", not just someone who calls themselves an 'engineer'.

I'm the life and soul at parties. I go round checking the equipotential bonding and make sure the CO alarms are all working :beer:
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    moonpenny wrote: »
    Can we please get back to the topic in the original question and not this " mine is bigger than yours" argument.
    Yours is definitely smaller than mine...
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I think this thread has now run its course.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    It!!!8217;s much more pleasant if you just put Risteard on mute..

I've had a quick look but to save me and others the bother how does one do that? Ta.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've had a quick look but to save me and others the bother how does one do that? Ta.

Just ask him how a broom works :rotfl:
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • I've had a quick look but to save me and others the bother how does one do that? Ta.

You can click on anyone’s username to view their profile, then where it says “xxx posts” click the number and it will show them all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure