IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

G24 and Debt Recovery plus fines

Hi guys I'm new and in need of help!

Parked in a shopping plaza in Coventry called central six. has one of those parking eyes that clock your time in and out.
It's a 180 min parking limit and I was 20 mins over due to my daughter having an accident and got caught by those parking eyes leaving.

I ignored the letters first of all as it's what iv always done but when I got the second and final warning I wrote a letter explaining that I was over my time due to my daughter accident and having to get new clothes.

I received no reply until back in August where I get a letter from debt recovery plus saying I need to pay them £130 or they'll pursue it further, then another letter a week later threatening court action!

Iv read on here that have no power and to ignore them etc but just concerned.
I called up g24 and asked about my appeal but they never received it and after I said can I appeal again and she said its up to DRP now.
Anyone had dealings like this before?

Thank you much love.

Comments

• The advice isn't - and since 2012 *HASN'T BEEN* - to ignore these letters. The first notice you receive needs to be appealed.

Do you have proof of postage of your first letter? Or a screenshot of an electronic appeal?

I recall reading somewhere on here that one of the more-knowledgeable members pointed out an EU-law/regulation requiring ADR to be available for at least a year. Plus, if you've evidence of postage then G24 look very bad if they claim they didn't receive it.

Secondly, I'm willing to bet G24 clocked you when you *FIRST ENTERED* the car park on ANPR, not when you actually pulled into a space. They are generally required (by the CoP I think) to allow a 'grace period' before and after parking to allow you time o find a space / decide if you want to be bound by their cockamaney T&Cs etc., and also when you leave the car park. The recommended time is at least 10 mins, so 2 x 10 mins. = 20 mins = no breach of terms.

Thirdly, they are required to make "reasonable adjustments" to the period to allow for things like having a child that needs feeding (for babies up to about 6 months or so I think), and for disabled people. While your daughter having an "accident" requiring new clothes isn't strictly covered, I'm willing to be the retail park owners won't be happy if you expose the fact that you're being extorted in the circumstances.

Find the address of the landowners and get them complained to.

Someone else I'm sure will be able to give you advice on if / how to get G24 to reconsider allowing an appeal.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hi guys I'm new and in need of help!

Parked in a shopping plaza in Coventry called central six. has one of those parking eyes that clock your time in and out.
    It's a 180 min parking limit and I was 20 mins over due to my daughter having an accident and got caught by those parking eyes leaving.

I ignored the letters first of all as it's what iv always done but when I got the second and final warning I wrote a letter explaining that I was over my time due to my daughter accident and having to get new clothes.

I received no reply until back in August where I get a letter from debt recovery plus saying I need to pay them £130 or they'll pursue it further, then another letter a week later threatening court action!

Iv read on here that have no power and to ignore them etc but just concerned.
    I called up g24 and asked about my appeal but they never received it and after I said can I appeal again and she said its up to DRP now.
    Anyone had dealings like this before?

Thank you much love.

Well, the one thing is for certain that you don't want the crazzies at DRP disturbing your life. ..... SIMPLY IGNORE DRP. If they want to waste their time, which they do every day, that is their problem.

So, it's now up to DRP they say.
    It certainly is as all DRP can do is revert back to G24 SAYING "SORRY G24 PEOPLE WE FAILED AGAIN"

Onto more serious stuff, assume you were shopping within those 2 hrs so you need to bitterly complain to the retailer stating what happened *receipts if you have them*
    Tell them you are now being harassed by a debt collector and do they want their customers harassed. Demand they cancel the ticket

You could also tell your local newspaper, they enjoy stories about companies trying to extort money.

Don't bother contacting G24 again, if they send court papers then come back here. A really great story to tell a judge
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,586 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Here's where it was covered the other day:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5526098

HTH
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • I contacted g24 and they were useless, said I should contact DRP which of course I won't.

Managed to get hold of the site manager at the shopping center and the lovely chap just said send him the appeal and he'll discuss it and review it in full
  • beamerguy
    I contacted g24 and they were useless, said I should contact DRP which of course I won't.

Managed to get hold of the site manager at the shopping center and the lovely chap just said send him the appeal and he'll discuss it and review it in full

G24 are useless JUST MONEY GRABBERS
    DRP are even more USELESS >>>> Never to contact

The site manager is only nice if he gets it cancelled
  • There has been numerous issues with the parking camera in the shopping centre as it clocks you a good 10-15 meters before the car park spaces, many people who get stuck in the queue to leave have been charged aswell even though they were out of the space a long time prior

Just a nightmare as my partner is scared of debt collectors and bailiffs and gets all panicky when a letter from DRP arrives
  • Coupon-mad
    But DRP letters are not bailiffs knocking on the door. Ever. No-one sends the boys round.
  • So best plan of action is ignore DRP and anything they send?

And try to appeal to the land owner in the mean time.
    What happens if it all goes wrong and he says the fine stands? Pay then or wait till g24 contact me
  • beamerguy
    There has been numerous issues with the parking camera in the shopping centre as it clocks you a good 10-15 meters before the car park spaces, many people who get stuck in the queue to leave have been charged aswell even though they were out of the space a long time prior

Just a nightmare as my partner is scared of debt collectors and bailiffs and gets all panicky when a letter from DRP arrives

Then you need to be talking to your local newspaper about this, you will be doing a great favour to everyone who goes in that car park.

Your partner, whatever he is worried about, it's not to be DRP.

DRP are timewasting junkies to be treated as such
  • Coupon-mad
    So best plan of action is ignore DRP and anything they send?

And try to appeal to the land owner in the mean time.
    What happens if it all goes wrong and he says the fine stands? Pay then or wait till g24 contact me
    It is not a 'fine' and no-one here EVER pays G24!

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure