IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Forgot to inform dvla

Comments

• Wiljuk
    Wiljuk Posts: 57 Forumite
    ok all here is my draft statement is it sufficient:

This my supporting Statement in support of my application dated xxxxxx18 to:

Set aside the Default Judgement dated xxxxx 2018 as it was not properly served at my current address;
    · Order for the Claimant to pay the Defendant £255 as reimbursement for the set aside fee;
    · Order for the original claim to be dismissed.

1. Default Judgement
    1.1. I understand that the Claimant obtained a Default Judgement against me as the Defendant in xxxxxx 2018. However, this claim form has not been served at my current address and I thus was not aware of the Default Judgement until xxxxx 2018 when I was doing a routine check on my credit file. I understand that this Claim was served at previous address (xxxxx). However, I moved to a new address in December 2016. In support of this I can provide confirmation from xxxxx County Council showing my updated details for the purposes of paying Council tax. The Claimant did not show reasonable diligence in finding a current address when applying to the courts and thus I did not receive any correspondence regarding this matter. The constant failure by companies to use correct and current addresses results is an unnecessary anxiety and grievance for many people in the U.K. Justice Minister Sir Oliver Heald pointed this out in December 2016 when stated:

"It cannot be right that people who are unaware of debts can see their lives and finances ruined by county court judgments. In the digital age, we must ensure companies pursuing unpaid debts make every reasonable effort to contact individuals, rather than simply relying on a letter to an old address."
    1.2. I have also never received any previous documentation from the Claimant in this matter and I thus was never able to challenge the Claimant!!!8217;s claim. The reason the PCN was issued was for an overstay on the car park of some 12 minutes. Had I have received the original Notice To Keeper I would have appealed at that time.
    1.3. On the xxxxxxx/2018 I contacted Northampton County Court to request information regarding the Default Judgement. I immediately, also on xxxx/2018 contacted Civil Enforcement LTD for further information. As the registered keeper of the vehicle i have taken steps to resolve this matter as soon as I became aware.

1.4. Considering the above I was unable to defend this claim. I thus believe that the Default Judgement against me was issued incorrectly and thus should be set aside.

2. Order dismissing the Claim

2.1. I further believe that the original Claim by the Claimant has no merit and should thus be dismissed. I understand that the Claimant is a Parking Company which seeks to claim for !!!8220;Parking Charge Notices!!!8221; which the Claimant believes are due because of an alleged breach of contract for parking by a motorist.

2.2. If the Claimant has obtained details of the vehicle for which the Defendant is the Registered Keeper and used those details to make a claim for a !!!8220;Parking Charge Notice!!!8217;!!!8217;, I thus dispute the claim in its entirety as I do not know the wording of the contract nor do I know the means by which the contract was alleged to come into force.

2.3. If the Claimant can evidence that the alleged incident relates to a vehicle for which the Defendant is the Registered Keeper, any Notice to Keeper served by the Claimant must comply with Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. Otherwise, the Claimant is required to prove the driver of the vehicle they claim was involved in the alleged incident. I submit that the Claimant cannot provide such evidence and further submit that the Claimant does not include !!!8216;Protection of Freedoms Act 2012!!!8217; wording on the Parking Charge Notices they issue and therefore cannot hold the Defendant automatically liable for the alleged incident merely for being the Registered Keeper of a vehicle.

2.4. A requirement of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 is that this any Notice to Keeper served by the Claimant must be served within 14 days of the date of the alleged incident. Since I have not received any documentation from the Claimant prior to finding out about the Default Judgement, I submit the Claimant will not have complied with the requirements of t2.5. I further submit that the Claimant!!!8217;s claim is without merit due to substantial issues in law. This is for the following main reasons:
    2.5.1. Lack of Standing by Claimant: The Claimant is unlikely to be the landowner of the car park in question and will have no proprietary interest in it. This means that the Claimant, as a matter of law, will have no locus standi to litigate in their own name. Any consideration will have been provided by the landholder, and only they would have been able sue for any damages or trespass.
    2.5.2. No Loss Suffered by Claimant: Their claim is presumably based on damages for alleged breach of contract. It is a fundamental principle of English Law that a party who suffers damages through breach of contract can only seek through court action to be put back in the same position as they would have been if the breach had not occurred. In order to do so, they must demonstrate their actual, or genuine, pre-estimate of loss. I submit that no loss has been suffered by the Claimant as a result of any alleged breaches of contract on the part of any motorist of the vehicle of which I am the Registered Keeper. I further submit that any loss to the landholder (which would be the only party able to claim such losses) would be at most a few pounds.
    2.5.3. Claimed charge is an Unenforceable Penalty: I further submit that the Parking Charge that the Claimant claimed, given it is not based on any loss suffered due to the alleged breach, is nothing but an unenforceable penalty.
    2.5.4. No contract with the claimant: Any contract must have offer, acceptance and consideration both ways. There would not have been consideration from the Claimant to the motorist; the fee for parking benefits the landowners, not the Claimant. Therefore, there is no consideration from the motorist to Civil Enforcement Ltd.
    2.6. On this basis I believe that the Claimant has not provided any reasonable cause of action and thus the claim should be dismissed in its entirety.
    2.7. In order to make informed decisions and statements in my defence as keeper of the vehicle, I will require copies of all paperwork and pictures of all signs from the Claimant.

Statement of Truth:
    I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true. he Act and thus cannot claim this charge against me as the Registered Keeper in any case.
  • Newbie here and not posted before. And maybe this is wrong place and cannot figure out how to start new thread. My point concerns CCJs GENERALLY and lack of ACTUAL NOTICE. Seems almost 1M people get CCJs with NO ACTUAL NOTICE as post sent to old address. Surely this should be CHANGED and maybe a campaign needed? Surely there shoudl be PERSONAL SERVICE of any Claim Form, or, at the very least, Registered POST and SIGNED FOR. So people KNOW about a claim and can have time to defend. Whole system just seems like a giant fraud
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 May 2018 at 5:22PM
    Your points are certainly worthy of discussion, but not on this thread. ;)

To start your own thread click on this blue button:

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Newbie here and not posted before. And maybe this is wrong place and cannot figure out how to start new thread. My point concerns CCJs GENERALLY and lack of ACTUAL NOTICE. Seems almost 1M people get CCJs with NO ACTUAL NOTICE as post sent to old address.

Surely this should be CHANGED and maybe a campaign needed?

Surely there shoudl be PERSONAL SERVICE of any Claim Form, or, at the very least, Registered POST and SIGNED FOR. So people KNOW about a claim and can have time to defend. Whole system just seems like a giant fraud

Already done:

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2016-11-16/debates/130AE067-BB52-4487-A412-AA8109F1CB3A/CountyCourtJudgments

https://www.warnergoodman.co.uk/news/government-reform---county-court-judgements

https://cpa.co.uk/ccjs-get-reform/

HTH
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Wiljuk
    Worth fighting this though indeed!
    Is my statement of use?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Remove this bit, GPEOL (genuine pre-estimate of loss) has no legs at all:
    2.5.2. No Loss Suffered by Claimant: Their claim is presumably based on damages for alleged breach of contract. It is a fundamental principle of English Law that a party who suffers damages through breach of contract can only seek through court action to be put back in the same position as they would have been if the breach had not occurred. In order to do so, they must demonstrate their actual, or genuine, pre-estimate of loss. I submit that no loss has been suffered by the Claimant as a result of any alleged breaches of contract on the part of any motorist of the vehicle of which I am the Registered Keeper. I further submit that any loss to the landholder (which would be the only party able to claim such losses) would be at most a few pounds.

And you need a draft order, as I said, protecting your costs:
    Search the forum for draft order N244 set aside costs reserved because you want your £255 ''protected'' by order of the Judge (not forgotten/ignored) so you can claim it back.
    You need to put the bold words into 'search this forum' and change the default search to SHOW POSTS (never threads).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Wiljuk
    Ok, now another panic. I've only updated my driving licence and not my V5. Going to frantically sort that out now. Can I still proceed?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 22 May 2018 at 11:59AM
    Of course you proceed - your OP AND thread title says you knew that was why the correspondence went to the wrong address!!
  • Wiljuk
    Thanks Quentin. Can't believe how stupid I have been.
  • Wiljuk
    can i use saggis draft version?

2) Draft order text is here: -
    IN THE XXXXXXXXXX COUNTY COURT

Claim No. XXXXXXXXXX

BETWEEN:

XXXXXXXXX Claimant

-- and --

XXXXXXXXXXX Defendant

DRAFT ORDER

IT IS ORDERED THAT:

Upon reading the Defendant's application dated XXXXXXXXXX.

It is ordered that:

1. The judgment dated XXXXXXXX be set aside.

2. The Defendant shall file and serve its Defence by 4pm following 14 days after the date on which the judgement is set aside.

3. The Claimant do pay the Defendant's costs of this application to the sum of £255.

4. The Claimant has permission to file and serve a reply if so required.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure