Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    That’s good that you’ve got him for the foreseeable future. Are you planning anything family wise for his birthday?
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • In previous years he's never wanted to do anything with us, but I think we should suggest something as this year things could be different. I'm glad you said that :).

We can't afford a meal out, but we could suggest a takeaway and watching a film together at home.

I'm going to get him a birthday cake tomorrow :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hairy I am exhausted reading what you have done today. I would definitely be in bed early.
  • I wish I was in bed now, so I think I'll be going soon :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Happy Wednesday everyone :).

Today is Mr T day and I really need to stick to my budget this week. Last week we seemed to lose the plot completely and despite spending £87 in Mr T :eek:, I then spent another £9 on Saturday, then £9 yesterday in Mr M and £6 the day before :eek:.

This is unsustainable and can't carry on. I need to do a meal plan before I go and stick to my list. Although I need to get a birthday cake for DS2 and some birthday treats :).

I was really tired after my walk yesterday and woke up in the night with sore stiff back muscles and achy stiff legs. Ibuprofen helped me go back to sleep and it just goes to show that I need more exercise!

Have a great day everyone :).
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Such a productive day for you yesterday HHOD, well done you.

Hope you managed to stick to the budget in Mr T's. It really is lethal going in different shops for bits isn't it!!! xx
    Mummytogirls x

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Would you be better doing a online order than going in store ? My legs are also aching HH, it takes a while to get back into the exercising.
  • Seasidegal58
    In previous years he's never wanted to do anything with us, but I think we should suggest something as this year things could be different. I'm glad you said that :).

We can't afford a meal out, but we could suggest a takeaway and watching a film together at home.

I'm going to get him a birthday cake tomorrow :).

That would be lovely to have a family evening - and get him to pick the takeaway and film.
    Happy Wednesday everyone :).

Today is Mr T day and I really need to stick to my budget this week. Last week we seemed to lose the plot completely and despite spending £87 in Mr T :eek:, I then spent another £9 on Saturday, then £9 yesterday in Mr M and £6 the day before :eek:.

This is unsustainable and can't carry on. I need to do a meal plan before I go and stick to my list. Although I need to get a birthday cake for DS2 and some birthday treats :).

I was really tired after my walk yesterday and woke up in the night with sore stiff back muscles and achy stiff legs. Ibuprofen helped me go back to sleep and it just goes to show that I need more exercise!

Have a great day everyone :).

Re the birthday cake and treats, would it help setting a regular budget for family birthdays? That’s what I do - if certainly helps.
    🌟
  • I've asked DS2 if he'd like a takeaway and to watch a film together on Friday and he said "I don't know, maybe." So we'll wait and see. I hope he does want to.

I set a budget of £50-£60 for presents usually and then buy a birthday cake for about £6. Then if we get a takeaway it will be about £5 each, so another £25. I don't think I can get it any lower than that without him having a bad birthday.

It's not the best time of year for a birthday, but he always says he likes having his birthday close to Christmas :).

We could do with a separate birthdays pot SSG. We need so many savings pots we'll be like a virtual kitchenware shop soon :rotfl:.

I overspent a bit in Mr T but not as badly as last week. I did buy a reduced price vacuum cup for drinking hot drinks from home when out and about, but that will be a one off. I do need to think more about my meal plans though and make them have cheaper ingredients. Although I was doing ok before Christmas :mad:.

I've said to DH no top up shops though apart from milk, bread, fruit or toilet roll. If we run out of anything else then it's tough. I think it's the top up shops that have been our undoing. I also blame Christmas because it's really hard to get out of the 'spend' mindset once you're in it :mad:.
  • Seasidegal58
    You’re right about the top ups and Christmas. That’s why I like getting my groceries monthly on line and just top up on perishables like milk if needed. As I don’t drive it also saves my time at weekends when I could be grocery shopping and getting taxis. I’d much rather spend my precious weekends doing something I actually want to do!:)
    🌟
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business