Refused train ticket.

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Whether I had to call a friend to drive me to town, or whether I walked, or whether I jumped on the train and paid on route is irrelevant to what happen in that ticket office. He left me with no alternative but to leave the station without a ticket; and so I did.
    Please forgive me for saying this, but that response is rather selfish.

If you were to publish how you overcame this problem, that information may help others.

People with a similar issue will probably search the internet to find answers to their problem, just as you did.

One of the reasons that this, and other forums, exist is to help people find answers.
  • consumer987
    consumer987 Posts: 19 Forumite
    It is irrelevant.

Me telling you what happened after I left the station isn't going to help anyone.

The ticket officer worker left me with no alternative but to leave the station without a ticket; and so I had too. That is the result that needs to be understood.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    It is irrelevant.

Me telling you what happened after I left the station isn't going to help anyone.

The ticket officer worker left me with no alternative but to leave the station without a ticket; and so I had too. That is the result that needs to be understood.
    And the other questions...
    wealdroam wrote: »
    When did all this drama happen?

What did the station management say in answer to your complaint?
    ???
  • discat11
    discat11 Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 July 2017 at 10:23PM
    I'm beginning to think the whole issue is made up frankly.

If I had a genuine complaint I'd have stated the company by now if not the station.

I also agree that if there'd been a station ticket barrier there'd be another conversation noted here, although ironically neither they or the clerk can permit travel without fare in any case.

Rosemary -in the case that cash can't be accepted or has to be exact (which is quite rare actually) the guard (not anyone else) can allow someone to purchase on train by discretion.
    This doesn't mean they HAVE to accept the payment however.

I think if this story is genuine then it clearly points to the issue being the clerk had no change, I am afraid, whilst not good customer care, the clerk is perfectly within his rights to refuse to accept cash if he cannot give change.
    That isn't 'refusal' it's 'not being able'.
    e.g.
    I worked in an electrical shop many decades back and ran out of change on a Saturday on my own. I wasn't able to get more change and a chap popped into get a lightbulb (lamp) he left empty handed.
    I wasn't able to accept a £5 for a 39p lamp and he didn't want to spend the whole £5 or come back on Monday to collect his change.
    I was an employee and couldn't give away the company's lamp.
    The chap was unhappy. I wasn't happy either.

Let's suppose, for one moment, the clerk had written his account here:

xxxxxxxx

A customer came to my booth with a £10 note for a £2.50 fare, unfortunately I couldn't change the note offered and suggested he get change at a shop nearby -he refused and suggested I do likewise despite it being obvious I couldn't leave the station.

I could see he had other means to pay having seen his debit card in his wallet and asked him to pay via that means -he refused.

He said he'd buy it on the train so I warned him to do so was an offence but he kept arguing.

He demanded I contact my superior which was impossible.

He demanded I write him a note to give to the 'driver' of the train (I think he meant guard but he was clearly confused by bus terminology) which I couldn't do as I can't issue authorities to travel.

There.

A quite different light on it isn't it?

Although I've said it at least twice already I'll say it once more (& no, I haven't worked for the railway for a few years now & and have no reason to take their side either):

The clerk could not simply allow you to travel.
    The clerk could not switch on the PTT machine
    The clerk could not ask anyone else to permit you to travel either
    The clerk had no authority to write a note or ask anyone else to allow travel

But, if you think they were refusing you 'simply for the hell of it' you're entitled to that opinion, wrong though it is.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm trying to put myself in your position, If I'd had a £10 I'd have said it, not a banknote. A £10 is nothing, its not like you had a Scottish £100 note for heavens sake. You said it was an important interview you'd lost sleep over - 6 minutes isn't much margin of error for such an important interview, maybe a bit of a queue or whatever and you could have missed the train. I wonder what really went on with regard to tone and language while you were under pressure.

I remember the absolute load of times I went to lock a store at closing time and a customer dashed up to try and buy something just as we locked up. In 28 years I only ever declined to admit 1 guy.

I was in the wrong as it was 1 min before closing time and I reflected afterwards that I should have just let him in. However unlike every other customer I ever came across in that desperate rush to shop at closing time this guy was rude and ignorant as soon as he spoke so I just dug my heels in and declined entry.

That guy went away and complained and told a different version of the conversation to the area manager. I'm sure in his account I was most unreasonable. Amusingly he said he heard the pips for 8pm on his car radio as he got back into his car so it was at least 30 seconds before 8 when I locked the doors.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It is irrelevant.

I would have just purchased the ticket on the train and alerted the guard when you boarded the train stating you needed to purchase one.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    For your benefit I will tell you what happens at Emsworth, which is often unmanned, or with a malfunctioning ticket machine, or else impossible to use due to the inadequate display. If I can't get a ticket I jump on the train and just signal to the guard I need a ticket. I've observed others do the same, or buy tickets on arrival at (say) Chichester or Havant.

Quite simple. Your account makes you out to be more like a doddery old pensioner than a "middle aged man", but such is the inconsistency and overt dramatics of your account you could be neither and this is just something for your creative writing or social media course.
  • consumer987
    edited 7 July 2017 at 1:54AM
    discat11
    "
    I think if this story is genuine then it clearly points to the issue being the clerk had no change,

No change in the till, correct.

"
    I am afraid, whilst not good customer care, the clerk is perfectly within his rights to refuse to accept cash if he cannot give change.

Of course, its impossible. he had no change. i had no issue with that other than i think it a bit daft they do not have a bag of £1 coins on stand by. but i was willing to pay on route.

"
    That isn't 'refusal' it's 'not being able'."

He is not able to facilitate a transaction, and did/could not issue a permit. His system was not fully functional for people who wished to use cash. Yet, the website states all cash is acceptable. no signs anywhere for "exact change".

So the ticket office should suggest I pay on route. just say something like:

" no worries. just wave or call out to the conductor on the platform he will help you, if they call through to my office here I shall support you. Have a nice day"

He didn’t, he threaten me with fines if i dare jump on the train and kept telling me to go to the shops to get him change when he knew my train was just a few minutes away, and said he would not support me if I get on the train without a ticket or permit.

He would not support me? well what would he say when they call? Would he lie and say he had change but I refused to pay? it seemed that way to me he was not a happy camper, so i did not risk jumping on without a ticket or permit. as you said the conductor/or guard also does not have to accept my payment either.

There should be a policy that says the same thing to staff at the ticket office, such as : If you run out of change in your till, simply tell the customer to flag the conductor/inspector as they board and they can purchase on route. Make a note in your diary when you run out of change to aid any potential investigation.

sensible, kind, respectful and caring.

No one gets stranded or misses their appointments. and payment is received.
  • consumer987
    edited 7 July 2017 at 5:14AM
    silverwhistle

"!If I can't get a ticket I jump on the train and just signal to the guard I need a ticket!"

if only it was that simple. he threatened me with fines. this guy was hell bent on getting me to go shopping with just 6 mins to go.

i felt that if i jumped on without a ticket or permit he would call transport police or the train driver or the destination station. I was genuinely worried. ive heard of huge fines and I've see the posters too.

he was not at all friendly to me. and some people on here seem to think he would be in the right to do this, for me to be fined at the individual staff members discretion, after all I had not gained a permit or ticket.

Apparently I was not legally allowed to get on without a ticket or permit, according to some chaps on here.

I did not want be fined. so i did not jump on.

oh by the way, I have in the past signalled the conductor to pay on route, but i always have a permit from the "permit to travel" machine. I would just put a 50p in it and pay full fare on route.

The ticket office can turn that machine on outside so people can still use cash when ever the cashier wants the toilet for example. But 'not' when they run out of change, apparently!
  • consumer987
    edited 7 July 2017 at 5:16AM
    Railfuture is the UK's leading independent organisation campaigning for better rail services for passengers and freight

"If the station is unmanned and the ticket machine is not working (or will not accept cash), you should be able to board the train and purchase the ticket from the conductor or guard. Since you are technically breaking the railway byelaws, you should make every effort to contact the conductor or guard as quickly as possible."

so you can board without a ticket with good reason.

still searching for 'if the station is manned.' perhaps they assume the ticket office would be perfectly capable and this rule above therefore does not apply? I do not know yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure