New driver questions on clutch help please don't want to burn it out..

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    kmb500 wrote: »
    Oh sorry, I hadn't noticed all those road signs that tell me what gear I should be in!

What on earth are you on about?

If you had read the highway code you would know the answer to all of the questions you have asked.
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Seriously though what road signs are you referring to that I "don't know what they mean"?
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    dukes-pass-trossachs-scotland-uk-10-gradient-road-sign-low-gear-now-F6AKKJ.jpg
    Never seen one of these signs before. But yes, I go in a lower gear up a hill... obviously.
  • GwylimT
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Seriously though what road signs are you referring to that I "don't know what they mean"?

You've just confirmed that you don't know what the sign above means by saying you go up hill in a low gear! Which again confirms you don't know you're highway code.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Never seen one of these signs before. But yes, I go in a lower gear up a hill... obviously.
    Sorry, but you now have to be trolling.
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    What's engine braking?

I went out with both my mum and dad a good 50+ hours while learning.

So they are bad drivers as well if they did not pick up on your appalling driving style!

You have been taught how to pass the driving test by a bad driving instructor but you have never learned how to drive correctly and still have so much to learn in order to be a safe driver and treat the vehicle with the respect that it deserves.

You should now do an advanced driving course.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,617 Forumite
    What up hill is that sign referring to? That sign does not mean up hill.
  • My clutch control is as it should be, and I use engine braking where appropriate, however my instructor informed me (3 years ago) that it's no longer taught to move down the gears when you're expecting to come to a dead stop. The reason provided was you'll wear the gearbox out with the increased number/frequency of gear changes, and modern braking system's performance more than compensates for the loss of engine braking compared to older vehicles.

If slowing and not expecting to come to a dead stop, it was suggested to slow to the speed of the gear you expect to pull off in using the brakes. and jump from say 4th to 1st or 4th to 2nd etc.

I don't recall climbing down the gears being a requirement in the driving theory (I could easily be proved wrong), which makes it a suggestion rather than a rule right? To be clear, I'm not suggesting you coast or ride the clutch by saying this, just slow using the brakes until the clutch needs to go down.

Not an expert, and I'm very open to being given evidence of being wrong.
    Started 07/15. Car finance £6951 , Mortgage: 261k - Savings: £0! Home improvements are expensive
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    phoenix_w wrote: »
    It may have been that your invigilator didn't notice you excessively coasting. There really isn't an excuse - it's dangerous for yourself and other road users.

Really, though, don't do it. Think about it logically - if you're coasting and something hits you from behind at high speed you'll bear the brunt of their kinetic energy and become a high speed projectile for someone else. If gears are engaged and someone hits you, the braking provided by the engine will slow you down more quickly than brakes alone and possibly save someone else's life.

You should only be depressing the clutch when changing gear or when slowing to a speed lower than being in first gear with your foot off the accelerator, and even then only for a fraction of a second when deploying your handbrake.
    If somebody hits you at the force you suggest what do you think is gonna happen to your foot on the clutch... here's a hint... it's not gonna stay there
  • GwylimT
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My clutch control is as it should be, and I use engine braking where appropriate, however my instructor informed me (3 years ago) that it's no longer taught to move down the gears when you're expecting to come to a dead stop. The reason provided was you'll wear the gearbox out with the increased number/frequency of gear changes, and modern braking system's performance more than compensates for the loss of engine braking compared to older vehicles.

If slowing and not expecting to come to a dead stop, it was suggested to slow to the speed of the gear you expect to pull off in using the brakes. and jump from say 4th to 1st or 4th to 2nd etc.

I don't recall climbing down the gears being a requirement in the driving theory (I could easily be proved wrong), which makes it a suggestion rather than a rule right? To be clear, I'm not suggesting you coast or ride the clutch by saying this, just slow using the brakes until the clutch needs to go down.

Not an expert, and I'm very open to being given evidence of being wrong.

Drivers are still taught to slow down using gears, but are now taught its okay to skip gears as you go down. When you slow down using the brake you brake until the clutch needs to to down then change gear, otherwise you are coasting which definitely shouldn't be taught by instructors. Coasting should lead to minors on the practical test.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure