Taking annual leave on-site, on-call, and general boundary issues with employer

Comments

• SillyOne
    SillyOne Posts: 96 Forumite
    duchy wrote: »
    How much you value yourself has a direct correlation to how much someone else values you , whether it's a boss or a lover.

You're right, my self esteem is rock bottom and rationally I recognise that which is even more frustrating!! I could easily do better with conditions and salary, but stay out of some sense of loyalty to the others (who would be lost without me picking up stuff all the time) and.. dare I say it... stubbornness and determination!
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,256
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    SillyOne wrote: »
    True, and the business isn't "life or death" (e.g. medics) by any means, but the fact is that immediate (monthly) deadlines wouldn't be met and the company would have a massive loss of revenue as a result, if I were hit by the proverbial bus!

I think you should arrange to take holiday and let them either arrange deadlines around it or miss them to rub their situation in and see what they then do!
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • What would happen if something happened to you (car accident for example) and you were in hospital? The company would continue to operate without you during your absence, and wouldn't be able to call on your expertise.

It's the same when you're on leave - you are not available. You need to be clear on this matter and then communicate to your employer without words if necessary - your being 'incommunicado' during periods of leave will ensure that they soon get the point!
  • SillyOne
    SillyOne Posts: 96 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2016 at 8:07PM
    Sleazy wrote: »
    What would happen if something happened to you (car accident for example) and you were in hospital? The company would continue to operate without you during your absence, and wouldn't be able to call on your expertise.

As a massive generalisation... we produce a monthly/quarterly (or as agreed with the customer) "Widget* Report" relating to the performance of that customer's Widgets in their particular market and results of our testing of Their Widget vs Comparable Other Widgets, etc etc and write all of this up into a 'Death by Powerpoint' deliverable. The analysis has "routine" elements (run step A, B and C for Their Widget/Other Widget and write down the resulting X, Y and Z readings from the test equipment) but also interpretation and research etc.

If something were to happen to me the impact would be that we don't have people internally to step up and complete the needed interpretation and research etc for the "Widget Report" in the needed timescales, and financial penalties from clients accordingly. Maybe one missed PowerPoint could be glossed over, but it would be a downward slide from there.

* Widget is a specific tech product, but I don't want to give the detail of specifically what it is, on here.

Edited to add: yeah, a Widget Report isn't going to change the world. But it changes the world for this company, whose entire revenue comes from selling Widget Reports.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    I'd go and work for a better company. You KNOW you can do far better.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Apologies for the bold, but...

OP, you list a large number of factors causing this situation, and every single one of them is your employer's problem. Them being unable to manage without you is their problem. You're unavailable. They need to fix their own problems. If they're incapable of doing that, it's time to find another job.
  • tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    PS: I just finished a group CBT class on low self-esteem that was available through my local mental health service. Fascinating stuff and we talked a lot about communication styles, including passive and assertive communication. I'd thoroughly recommend a similar course.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    As a massive generalisation... we produce a monthly/quarterly (or as agreed with the customer) "Widget* Report" relating to the performance of that customer's Widgets in their particular market and results of our testing of Their Widget vs Comparable Other Widgets, etc etc and write all of this up into a 'Death by Powerpoint' deliverable. The analysis has "routine" elements (run step A, B and C for Their Widget/Other Widget and write down the resulting X, Y and Z readings from the test equipment) but also interpretation and research etc.

If something were to happen to me the impact would be that we don't have people internally to step up and complete the needed interpretation and research etc for the "Widget Report" in the needed timescales, and financial penalties from clients accordingly. Maybe one missed PowerPoint could be glossed over, but it would be a downward slide from there.

* Widget is a specific tech product, but I don't want to give the detail of specifically what it is, on here.

Edited to add: yeah, a Widget Report isn't going to change the world. But it changes the world for this company, whose entire revenue comes from selling Widget Reports.

No disrespect to you personally but if there's no one else on the team who can help with the Widget Reports... whose fault is that? The company... or yours?

The company, of course.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You're right, my self esteem is rock bottom and rationally I recognise that which is even more frustrating!! I could easily do better with conditions and salary, but stay out of some sense of loyalty to the others (who would be lost without me picking up stuff all the time) and.. dare I say it... stubbornness and determination!

I dont know why your so loyal to the company and the other people when they don't appreciate it and treat you so badly!.

At my workplace I often work on until late or have to go on an overnight trip with no notice due to business needs. I'm happy to do this but it works both ways because if I really need tommorow off as holiday they will let me no matter how much they need me and they won't even ask me through reason if I don't want to tell them!. I have also never had holiday cancelled and never had any holiday request declined in the entire time I have worked here.
    If they were messing me about with holidays like they do with you I definetly wouldn't be doing them any favours at the last minute.
  • SillyOne wrote: »

Why aren't others able to step in, one might ask... a combination of not paying enough to get the right people in the first place, and lack of opportunity to train people due to always being in "crisis" mode.

No, it's because they've never had to, because you do it all the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure