New Grad DFW

Options

Comments

• ab_saver
    ab_saver Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I've been doing a bit more thinking about my grocery budget.

Looking at the calendar there aren't actually that many days to cater for as I'm dining out tomorrow, I'm going away to OH's Saturday-Tuesday (must book trains tomorrow now new railcard has arrived), and then my dad is visiting next Friday-Sunday, and we're off to OH's parents' house from 19th-23rd and I get paid again on the 22nd.

I thus think that my grocery budget shouldn't need too much going on food that isn't to be kept back for Christmas.

I have a total of 8 days where I need to feed us both and 8 where I just have to feed myself (this includes working 3 nights).

I'm not going to set a rigid meal plan but more a list of go to options where I know I will have everything in.

2/12 L- leftover pasta D- out
    3/12 L toastie and fruit D - at OH's
    6/12 L - at OH's D- veg pasta bake
    7/12 L - pasta bake D- ravioli
    8/12 L- pasta bake D - batch make mince - half as chilli
    9/12 L- chilli D - with dad
    12/12 L- chilli D - cod and roast potatoes and veg
    13/12 L - chilli D - chicken curry
    14/12 L - curry D - cottage pie
    15/12 L cottage pie D - another curry (have ingredients for Thai green and for butter chicken)
    16/12 L - pre nights sleep D - burger? Midnight feast- sandwich/bread and dip
    17/12 D - ravioli Midnight feast - sandwich/ savoury
    18/12 D - cottage pie Midnight feast - misc savoury
    19/12 Brunch - Toastie D - OH's family

That seems reasonable and like it's not going to empty my freezer out too much. I'm a bit cautious as I'm moving to a new department on Wednesday and whilst I presume there will be a microwave I wouldn't count on having a chance to use it before being called away.

My other conundrum is how to keep myself fed on my nights. I'll have access to a break room with a fridge and microwave but when I've done nights before I've never fancied anything hot (except toast) and I wouldn't want to wake napping colleagues. Hence thinking a sandwich or some pitta and hummus.

Are there any night workers with any suggestions? They'd be very gratefully received :)
    House fund: ~£5000 / £10,000 :D_£1000 emergency fund #208 - £151.74/ 1000 _
  • moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    :beer: Congrats on the overdraft :T

Do I also spy £300 in a house pot :D

Love your meal planning - you are so organised!! :)

Just wanted to stay well done so pleased your determination and focus has really paid off.

I must stop slacking and join the GC - so thanks for the inspiration. I know going on these drinks "jollys" are expensive but a girl needs a G & T every now and then :rotfl:so don't be too hard on yourself.

:)_party__party_:kisses::laugh: - Congrats on beating the OD :T:T

Sam
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • ab_saver
    Options
    Thanks - love all the smileys :)

I have to confess the £300ish are in savings certificates I've had for ages (bought by parents in fact) rather than having come out of my income. I won't know the exact value until they mature in early 2018. I am setting up a HTB ISA in branch to put some of my own money in though :)

I'm only organised as it all falls apart without it and my job involves long and erratic hours. I'm unfortunately selectively organised and keeping myself fed is always done before keeping the place habitable... :o

The GC is great (and though I haven't tried any yet there are loads of recipes to help you use up what you have rather than buying more). I find it really helpful recording and justifying what I've spent on what. I've found a budget I'm happy with that only includes things bought at the supermarket. Some people budget their eating out and coffees in as well, but I budget food outside the home separately so I know I can have a little fun (and a few G&Ts!) without then feeling like I have to live on baked beans.

It being the 1st of the month, it's the perfect time to join.... :)
  • ab_saver
    Options
    Speaking of savings certificates, I rang NS&I and they claim to have not received my forms (I have proof of postage) and I'll have to do them again (they involve getting my signature witnessed so a bit of a faff). I'll have to ask someone at work next week.

Appointments tomorrow all confirmed and paperwork prepared.

Re: groceries

I've decided to split my budget in two: Christmas, and non-Christmas

All I'll need on the non-Christmas front is:
    -milk
    -pitta
    -hummus
    -cereal bars/work snacks
    -fruit
    -fusilli

This shouldn't come to more than £15 at the very most. I have already spent £1.98 on non-Christmas food - leaving me with £13.02 - I do like a challenge :rotfl:

The remaining £60 are for food and drink (cough cough) for the Christmas period. Even to me, this seems ample. I've been planning to spend £20 on wine (n@ked wines 6 bottles delivered offer :D ) and to pick up the remaining things we require (bird, ham, mulling spices etc) as and when I see a good deal. Our joint for the day itself is in the freezer and we will do a big traditional meal on Boxing Day.

Written down this all sounds remarkably achievable :rotfl:

It's *almost* enough to justify the purchase of a fair isle jumper to wear on Christmas Day at work!
  • ab_saver
    Options
    So now I feel like a proper grownup...

- I have a HTB ISA :j
    - I have a Club account :j (I also asked to reduce my OD limit to £1000 instead of £2000 since I never plan to use it again)
    - I have a Christmas tree and wreath
    :xmastree:

I have to confess that the tree and wreath were slightly impulsive - but they were half price in wilk0 and sold out online. I did plan to buy one at some point this winter so I'm happy enough.

Now to speed tidy the flat, then get on the train to meet the OH :j

... and STOP SPENDING MONEY
  • moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    Speed tidy ...I love that :)

Wow! Look at you, again great progress - love the idea about splitting food into xmas or non- xmas - seem's a good way to budget the spending.

Tree sounds a bargain and let you off as "its the most wonderful time of the year" :)

That's how I started reduced my overdraft so I couldn't use it again if I wanted to .

Do keep it up - your steaming ahead .

Hope you have a lovely time with OH.
    Sam xx
    🌟
  • moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    p.s I do love a fairisle jumper too!! ....be good now ... ;-) and resist it.

Sam x
    🌟
  • ab_saver
    Options
    p.s I do love a fairisle jumper too!! ....be good now ... ;-) and resist it.

Sam x

:rotfl:

Already purchased between bank appointments :o

I just phoned FD to arrange the switch of my now defunct second current account to them. I *really* hope it doesn't mess up my club one, which I would like to keep as is.

I've been enjoying a lazy weekend mostly- and using up my last dregs of annual leave today and tomorrow as I can't carry it over to my new department (start there on Wednesday). I have been in residence on my OH's sofa all day - bliss. It hasn't stopped me spending money though :o . I ordered my grandparents' gifts and when I looked before they had free delivery but not today - so I got walloped with nearly £6 delivery PER GIFT :mad::eek::mad::eek: . Anyway it needed doing so I dealt with it. I did get a tidy £3.16 cash back tracked which I suppose is something.

I have overspent a bit unfortunately- nearly £70 in one morning for jumper, tree, wreath, and wreath hanger :eek: is the source. I didn't expect to be buying a tree this early (I.e. Before my pre-Christmas payday) but it was a bargain and OH and I did both want one before Christmas rather than in January. In this instance heart ruled over head :o . OH bought some decorations and a tree topper (the JL Scandi snowflake Pom Pom one :D ) yesterday so all we need are some lights (somehow I'm getting these... because there isn't a wilk0 where he lives and theirs are currently half price) and we will put our tree up on Thursday :D .

Thankfully there isn't much to spend money on in the 17 days to payday. There is one more gift to buy (OH sister #1), one to post, trains to OH parents to book (£50 with railcard :eek: ) and keeping fed and watered.
  • moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    Your staying motivated that's the main thing! - Look at the tree as an investment - you won't have the same expense next year :)

The jumper well I guess that will help to keep the heating cost at a fiver :-)

Enjoy your leave and don't be too hard on yourself about the spending - happens to the best of us at times and still got to be debt free at the end of the day.

Sam x
    🌟
  • ab_saver
    edited 6 December 2016 at 9:09PM
    Options
    I agree about Christmas things being an investment - my Christmas next year should be far less expensive. I did buy some lights for the tree (and the wreath) today - and my cereal bars and some YSd organic milk. My only indulgence has been a £1 pack of hot chocolate. I'm hoping it'll help me get to sleep as I'll need early nights to cope with the 5.45am get ups. :eek:

:xmastree:

I have a mini (live) tree, a wreath, and a snowflake in the window so I'm feeling very festive. I was supposed to be decorating the big tree with OH on Thursday but his boss is taking him for lunch on Friday. I've gone off piste with the meal plan already (didn't fancy pasta as had pasta for lunch) but I haven't deviated from my list of allowed non-Christmas purchases and dinner has come out of the freezer so that's ok.

Off to get the OH's study prepared for my dad to stay this weekend, get my bag and lunch prepped for tomorrow, and have some dinner. And then to bed...

ETA: OH has been offered extra hours at work next term :) If only I could gently persuade him to put some of the extra money in an HTB ISA. I won't nag as his inheritance will be the bulk of our deposit, and he is pretty MSE really.... he just doesn't like budgeting, meal planning, or going to sort out his bank accounts

I've also repatriated a large quantity of conditioner (3 bottles!) and some bubble bath from OH's. All his/ours, but he rarely uses them and I'm rarely off work long enough to get to his. I did offer him a bottle of shower gel from the under sink stash in exchange though...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport