We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Options

Comments

• Better_Days
    Better_Days Posts: 2,742 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've found the best thing to get the hens running around is to throw down some chopped grapes although I've never tried it with a broody hen. Touch wood, so far no broodiness with the ex batts.
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I've found the best thing to get the hens running around is to throw down some chopped grapes although I've never tried it with a broody hen. Touch wood, so far no broodiness with the ex batts.

Wow!! Lucky you Better Days. We are now on to our second broody hen ever. Sadly we lost our first ever broody hen last year. She was broody every single year of her life, bless her. I used to pick her up and she would literately scream and spit at me and throw a wobbly. The broody we have now is as cool as a cucumber I just lift her out and she does not seem bothered until I lock her out of the nesting box that is, then I get a few squawks out of her and then she starts eating.

I do love your user name by the way.

Hope everyone is ok and not getting toooooo fed up with this blooming awful weather.

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • oldandhappy
    oldandhappy Posts: 966 Forumite
    Options
    Our last two ducks born at our last Uk home.. Bob and Sue named by our Grand Daughter Lilly who lived just across the road from us at the time.....devoted they where as they where together from the start almost as born within a day of each other after one of our hens sat the three weeks looking after them..they had 100% different parents so we where happy and they where a happy pair.We had a little pen/cage indoors...ok on the table actually in the middle so never interfered with our meals...the first few days we fed them via a paint brush but they soon helped themselves to the menu. In no time at all it seemed they where placed outside in there little cage in front of the main pen with the 6 other ducks....taken in at night for a few weeks more.....you know when they need to go in a bigger pen..so no more splashing about in a cat litter tray in the shower now...soon into the big world of the pond..............
  • oldandhappy
    edited 30 June 2016 at 5:13PM
    Options
    ducklings_zpspnunnaru.jpg

bob is left sue is right side...bigger beak=boy + the beak turns green and the girl has a brown beak normally then a little later the boys end of tails curl in Call Ducks as this is the only type I have ever had...they do quack a lot but only the girls can be heard which is strange to me!
  • Better_Days
    Better_Days Posts: 2,742 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Soooo cute oldandhappy. Thanks for posting, cheered my day :D:D:D
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    bob is left sue is right side...bigger beak=boy + the beak turns green and the girl has a brown beak normally then a little later the boys end of tails curl in Call Ducks as this is the only type I have ever had...they do quack a lot but only the girls can be heard which is strange to me!

Aww such lovely ickle ducks. Wow love them!!

Yes you are right the female ducks have a much louder quack than the males. For the males it is known as half a quack :rotfl: Yes seriously it really is.

Funny that the males have a curl in the end of their tail feathers. I have often wondered why they do but not actually looked in to why. For others that do not have ducks on our lovely thread the male tail feathers curl upwards. I'll try and get a photo of my male Aylesbury duck or my male Cayuga duck to post on here. That's if they stand still long enough for me to take one of them :D

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many thanks for this oldandhappy, nothing is cuter than ducklings! I only ever found out what genders we had when they definitely quacked or croaked, lol
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Need some advice please

By broody has been sitting four days now and she's not pooped

I've managed to get her off the nest a couple of times to take some food and water. She does that and straight back. Today I got her off her nest and she wouldn't take either food or water, just went straight back to the nest

I'm being very gentle with her as I'm scared I'll put her off and she will abandon the eggs. She's laying on ten

She's on her own. Has food and water right out side the nest box

Should I be worried yet? Should I be a bit more insistent with her eating and drinking?

Any advice would be appriciated
  • oldandhappy
    Options
    Hope she has been by now....try putting the food a little further from her with the nest box open so she can see it......my little hens loved worms ......ducks really die for worms and I use to spend a lot of time in the field adjoining digging them up!
    may be worth a try with your Hen.....Water they must have....I remember dripping some water on there 'beak' with a plastic syringe it did work...
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    suki, I would probably not worry. Their digestion slows right down and every few days they do one enormous poop!

I just had to steal eggs from a broody duck to break the broodiness, I do feel so guilty. I just can't have any more ducklings, the houses are full :( The elderly is still living in the maternity ward/hospital/prison so could not keep them safe even if I wanted any...still sad having to be so mean as she managed to keep the eggs safe from the crows....
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback