We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Comments

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    7 eggs from 11 hens today. Things are picking up here with the slightly warmer weather.

Thank you all for the kind words with our recent loss. It always saddens me with everyone we loose because I love them all.

Should be getting another 8 rescues next week:eek: hee hee hee. A friend of ours is having to move in with his mother and has asked if we would take his rescue girls so we jumped at the chance. It is a shame that they are having to be rehomed again but we will make them comfy and welcome. The more the merrier me thinks. Will try and get some photos to upload on here if they stay still enough for the camera.

How are everyone and their hens and ducks getting on. Anyone else had a rise in eggs now the weather has warmed up a bit?

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We had 2 eggs today rather than 1 every 2 days :) One is still not fully shelled (not shiny and a bit thinner) but she didn't peck at it , yippieh!

I put my name down with the hen rescue folks for 3 new ladies in spring, I'm really excited!
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • edwink
    Collecting 8 ex batts tomorrow morning. Their current owner is moving house and can not take them so the little hens will have had 2 house moves. At least this time they won't get moved again. Can't wait but not looking forward to the pecking they will do but they soon get over that and get on with each other.

How is the egg laying going with everyone?

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    All going well here - one day we had 10/10 which was a surprise. There has been a few sunny days but mainly rain so they seem pretty fed up with it all. Bring on the sunshine!
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • skipton
    skipton Posts: 676 Forumite
    5 eggs from 8 hens (2 of which are oldies so only lay now and again mainly softies too).

Sorry about your little hen Edwink. Good news about your new girls.
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    posting at this time of the night due to the bad storm keeping me awake....fingers crossed the greenhouse, etc. will be still standing after tomorrow!
    I'm getting 2 out of 3 but due to the ladies' age not every day. That's fine, once the ducks have started eggs will come out of my ears, lol. There were no more "eating accidents", since I put 2 wooden eggs in the nesting boxes ;)
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • edwink
    Collected our rescue hens today. Were meant to be coming home with eight. But, came home with 15 instead :eek:. The guy that was moving and could not keep them said there was 8 to collect and when my hubbie got there the guy said he did not realise there were so many. Now we have 26 in total. :eek:

We really did not mind at all. Just a shame these rescue hens have had 2 moves in there lives. They have had a few fights today but the Cockerel was a good boy and sorted them out. Hubbie has installed another roosting bar in their hotel today so they have enough room to sleep. We had enough space for over 20 hens already but added another bar as we didn't want to squash them in obviously.

They are all safely tucked up in bed now. Bless them.

Edwink x
  • skipton
    How can you mistake 15 for 8? LOL

On a sad note my little Cara died this afternoon. I sat with her in my arms in the little bit of sunshine we had. The wind had dropped so we were quite sheltered up in the wood. I do hate losing them...... for little things they have such huge characters.
  • edwink
    Hi Skipton

So sorry you lost little cara yesterday afternoon. Horrible when that happens. Nice that you sat in the little sunshine you had with her. Such a difficult time losing them. ((((HUGS))))

P.S. It wasn't us that made the mistake it was the guy we collected them from. He said he had 8 for rehoming and when my hubbie got there the number had gone up to 15 :eek:. We didn't mind though but it was a bit of a shock. My hubbie would not have left the other 7 behind, bless him.

Edwink x
  • skipton
    Hi Edwink

I'm sorry if you thought I meant your OH mistook 15 for 8??? I was thinking of the guy you got them from. How did he miss count? Did he possibly think you wouldn't want all 15 so said 8 with his fingers crossed? He was lucky he got someone with a big heart and big garden lol.
    I couldn't have left them either. Just think of all the eggs you will hopefully get now. Are they fully feathered or in need of woolly sweaters?

My 8 were all for coming out this afternoon until we were hit by a white out and I was the one out in it, while they stood and watched from inside the covered pens!!! more sense than we humans.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback