NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour!

Comments

• maitlah
    maitlah Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 9 May 2018 at 8:31AM
    Morning all :)

Puddleglum - Whole Earth do a naturally decaf coffee-alternative. It's basically a bunch of different herbs and spices and extracts put together so they taste like coffee. Not quite a perfect dupe but it really helped me when i was cutting down on caffiene - now down to my one black coffee in the morning where i used to chug 4 or 5 a day! I'm not sure how it would affect your other detox ingredients though.

Yesterday was a pretty chilled out one for me. I did spend the afternoon upending the office so we're ready for the new GDPR laws coming into place so that was fun... not so much. But it's done now.

Money: Spent nothing and made a sale on social media :T Not much but every penny counts
    Me time: Watched an anime I've been wanting to start for a couple of months now but it's not something the tall one likes. Decided screw it and started yesterday while he was doing some laundry. We both enjoyed it in the end :D
    Move: Not so much yesterday other than the usual walking around at work :(
    Arm yourself: Plenty of food in the house so no need to shop.
    You. I am grateful for the sunny weather continuing, for a busy but relatively quiet day yesterday, for sticking to my new diet plan even if i haven't started seeing the results just yet, for music, for feeling productive, for getting organised.

NSDs 4/19
    Check ins: 6/31
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    NSD 5/19 for me.

For those looking to cut out caffeine, unless you're doing it as part of a wider programme where you have to go cold turkey, and you're happy to have decaf rather than cut out all coffee; I recommend going 'half caff' first, and swapping out half caff for decaf gradually. That way you can lessen the headaches (I've tried cold turkey a few times but couldn't work with the headaches so would end up giving in!). Sainsbury's make a half-caff ground coffee for caffetieres and coffee makers - or you could make your own by mixing two together of course.

Thanks. I will have a look for the half-caff coffee in Sainsburys and give it a go.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 May 2018 at 3:06PM
    Hallo,

been absent for a while again (usual weekend absence and a bit of overwhelmed-ness). Just can't do it all, work, house, kids, craft, garden, finance, checking in on here etc etc. while still having huge to do lists that don't shrink or get transferred day after day. Someone called it a amorphous mess of undoablility. Well, yesterday me and my colleague went to this course (organised from work) to help with project management/time management/procrastination etc . Was meant for work but helped me refocus in my personal life. Simple things: I've been writing my to do lists wrong. Rather than just achievable simple tasks I had whole projects on there like clean and tidy conservatory. No wonder it never got started and got pushed along as it is a big multi-task project. Anyway, rambling over but hopefully this course helps me manage better, be more organised, realistic and relaxed about my to do list and will enable me to stay on here. Not sure what my numbers are (haven't had time yet) but will look into it.

EDIT: numbers done and don't look to bad yet. On track with spending and SFDs.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Hallo,

been absent for a while again (usual weekend absence and a bit of overwhelmed-ness). Just can't do it all, work, house, kids, craft, garden, finance, checking in on here etc etc. while still having huge to do lists that don't shrink or get transferred day after day. Someone called it a amorphous mess of undoablility. Well, yesterday me and my colleague went to this course (organised from work) to help with project management/time management/procrastination etc . Was meant for work but helped me refocus in my personal life. Simple things: I've been writing my to do lists wrong. Rather than just achievable simple tasks I had whole projects on there like clean and tidy conservatory. No wonder it never got started and got pushed along as it is a big multi-task project. Anyway, rambling over but hopefully this course helps me manage better, be more organised, realistic and relaxed about my to do list and will enable me to stay on here. Not sure what my numbers are (haven't had time yet) but will look into it.

EDIT: numbers done and don't look to bad yet. On track with spending and SFDs.

Yes, don't mix your elephants in with your frogs. Elephants need to be broken down into bite size pieces and then schedule a piece in whenever you have time.

I wrote down an organising idea into my new notebook. It's basically
    1 Write a master to do list (think this is the same as the 'brain dump' I did a fw weeks ago - write everything down then you don't have random to dos floating or buzzing round your head).

2 Prioritise the list
    One woman advocated putting them all on post its and deviding them in four by how annoying they were and by length/ ease of doing. So then you tackle anything that's easy but saves lots of hassle, first. Anything time consuming that you can live with (little niggles) goes at the bottom. The others go in between.

The second advocate advised prioritising by one of several categories - easy to do, quick, most difficult first, one that's costing money or will make money, one that you have the time or energy to do - like this because you could use a different priority according to how you feel on a particular day. On a really bad day, when you're feeling worn out, tackling a couple of easy wins would make you feel you had done something with your day.

3 Pick a task. Put the list away until that task is done.

Can you tell I've been reading a lot of these things rcently. If I'm going to be under par most of the time, I need as many tools as possible to cut tasks down to size (or cut them out altogether) and get them done as effortlessly as possible.

Today I went to buy mum's jigsaws. Some had gone but found four that were suitable. Took me an hour and twenty minutes to visit 3 shops and had to sit down in between (did someone say the heat doesn't suit them?). Bought wash tablets for me and some dinosaur bits to cheer someone up - knew it was a spendy day and could not find the wash tablets in the shops I tried on Monday.

Had a taxi to crafts, only took 2 bags, all my suggestions were well recieved and will do a swap round in the next few weeks so that everyone gets a chance to do the things they have missed. Made a button picture with our blind member. Used a textured background and bright pink flowery paper for the butterfly, so she could feel the edges because of the contrast.

I have a box or two for others to do similar - one will be an owl one - but thought the blind girl would not have need of a box to put things in. She agreed but then I suggested that we could make her a savings box (at a later date) to save for the things her guide dog will need (collar, basket, toys etc) when s/he arrives (postponed until she has had all the operations she needs). She loved that idea.

We have also been asked to make some hug boxes. These are little decorated boxes with wording that says to hold them when you feel lonely (in need of a hug) and know that someone is thinking of you. I said we had some small box type things in our basket (think they were envelopes for cards with raised embellishments). Needed about 12, we had 13 (sticky strips are no longer sticky but I have double sided tape). Have left word that we only need the wording to go on the boxes, we have paper, ribbons and can make anything else we may need.

I have returned four library books and brought more back. All the videos I was interested in have gone so saved myself some money by waiting. Need to do homework for tomorrow's therapy appointment and find things to send to someone who is ill, to cheer her up.

Today I am grateful for finding good books easily, for enjoying crafts, for finding the things we need to complete mum's garden (think I will have them delivered), for lovely weather, for not feeling as dizzy as this morning, for the bin men coming.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Motivation: have short/ medium/ long term goals
    Money: All DDs except gas/ elec have gone out now (just changed suppliers) so all money left is ours...
    Move: 10k steps achieved yesterday. Walk planned for later tonight

Activation: What spurs you on? - more investment planning/ research done
    Arm yourself :spent yesterday (inc bday items and some garden fripperies to pretty it up for joyful time out there) Could have not bought the garden stuff - but want a pretty garden!
    You. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful.
    * my family's health. All of my children are safe & well
    * a good morning at work
    * line dried washing
    * catch up tv to iron to
    * eating YS food!

Foodbank/ charity donation of £5. - monthly DD to WWT. 2 bags of items donated to shoebox appeal - new bag started today HAve also added 4 unsold items from flebay listings to CS bag - will take it there later this month

Pay to your debt/savings FIRST and live off the rest. - done

Plan the month: every single day: what you are doing, what you are eating, - sort of - have written in work days, day when collecting DD from uni, DS3's, my mum's, my sister's, my aunt's and bestie's husband's bdays... Am not going to plan food, though).

Check in every day.here -:)

NSDs - 4/19 - another one today (OH wanted to go out for lunch but we ate previously purchased YS items at home instead :T)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Puddleglum
    Puddleglum Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Sorry puddleglum, I can't quote on my phone but I buy the water-decaffeinated teas and coffees as a general rule. With your chemistry hat on; are they better than the others? I don't know what they do to normal decaf but if a product can't say it's "gently decaffeinated using only water" I'm guessing it uses something else?!

Planning to spend £1 on hospital parking from personal budget today. Umming and ahhing about getting a small basket of shopping whilst out so I don't have to go at the weekend (and would give me another nsd to bank!)

I was a bit sceptical as I remember using a fairly harsh solvent to get the caffeine out of tea as it was easier to extract from that than coffee. This is something from the Internet which suggests that, yes they do use water to get the caffeine out into solution but then go on to dissolve it in chloroform in order to separate it from the tea.

http://www.upb.pitt.edu/uploadedfiles/about/sponsored_programs/science_in_motion/chemistry_labs/chem023_caffeine%20extraction%20from%20tea(1).doc

It may be perfectly safe, I'm not saying that it isn't, but just prefer to drink things that don't have caffeine in them to start with. Or better still a nice cup of strong black coffee!
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

I still am Puddleglum - phew!
  • bizzie
    bizzie Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    F0xh0les - Mr Tickle was my favourite of the Mr Men. I may even have my original book somewhere amongst the many books that live in my home.
    No spending today - plenty of looking at things I would like rather than need but haven't caved - yet!
    Dinner will either be leftovers or from stores depending on person - a mix and match menu.
    Grateful for lovable and daft cats, beautiful weather and budgets balancing.
    Groceries: Personal Spend: 0 NST NSD Goals for 2024:Self: Health: Wealth :
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    NSD: 7/19 NSD achieved today.
    Motivation: To be more mindful regarding spending. This is going to be ongoing. So far doing ok with not doing emotional spending and not spending without thinking.
    Money: The budget for each category is done.
    Me time: Just read 2 of my books, wordsearch and mindfulness colouring.
    Move: Walked from bus stop to and from work today.
    Activation: To get my spending down to a reasonable amount.
    Arm yourself: Will have to stand strong in my quest against consumerism and acquiring more. Still doing this. Not being tempted by emails regarding discounts.
    Donation to charity: Done for the month. Bag of items put aside for charity shop.
    You.
    Grateful for:
    Very good night's sleep.
    Windows opened this evening.
    Lavender oil in burner this evening.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Today I am grateful for my cheerful dd, for getting things done at work, for nice pupils, for lovely colleagues, for the sunshine still being with us, for a good journey home, for 85% chocolate.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
    • 12 NSDs - 6/12
    • Budgets - £250 food and £100 social - £89.74 food and £7.60 social
    • Continue batch cooking for the little one (remembering to include a larger variety of meals) - 3 portions of veggie omelettes and 3 portions of veggie lasagna made. Rooted around the freezer and we're running low on soup and risotto so I'll make some more of that next weekend
    • Make an extra £93 through surveys - £48.69 made to date
    • Continue building the full and final fund - £47.93 added to date
    • I'm making up Christmas gift boxes for local disadvantaged children. So far I've done two teenage boys and started on a boy 9-12 months but still more to get for him so I'll continue with that
    • Plans - safari park and dinner/new avengers movie. Will also allow for a visit to soft play and I need to take the little one swimming as we're holidaying in June and he's never been in a pool - safari park cancelled, soft play on the 12th with friend and her daughter, lunch with work colleagues on 23rd (just remembered!)
    • Read as much as possible - 1 book in progress, 2 books finished
    • Finish my final OU essay for this module
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure