Barclayloan PPI

Hi all,

Been begging my father to apply for PPI for the last few years and we're only now starting to look into it putting in a claim.

My father took out a personal loan with Barclays in June 2003 with 84 repayment stallments, got the original agreement letter and the loan is broken down into cash loan and premium loan and the way I understand it is that the premium loan is the PPI because it says it is "the single premium payment to puchase Barclayloan Protection", and its around £100 added to each month's installment as per the paperwork.

My father didn't know the protection was optional, it was sold to him along with the loan, he didn't even realise the protection was there until around 9 months later in March 2004 when he got laid off from work and asked the bank if there was any insurance. He then made a claim which was rejected because they said "You have not been in sufficient full time employment for the qualifying period of 12 months". He then proceeded to pay the monthly installments until the end of the loan.

So now I want to make this PPI claim for him, and had questions about the resolver form:
  1. Should I bother mentioning a claim was made even though it was rejected?
  2. I don't really understand the questions under "Section 5: Personal circumstances", specifically "any other way to make repayments?"
  3. Which details are important to highlight for a successful claim?
  4. What are my father's chances of success?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You could apply directly to Barclays by using their own ppi questionnaire on the website. It does ask if you made a claim on the policy and if it was rejected, however, I don't think this will affect the outcome of your father's complaint, because it sounds like he has very good grounds for mis-selling due to the loan being set up with a single upfront premium which the Regulator and FOS have said was unfair.
  • Ultima
    Ultima Posts: 25 Forumite
    Ok thanks for the advice, was going to use the resolver since that's what the MSE article on PPI says but you're right that Barclays has their own form so I'll fill it out there instead.
    Still unsure if mentioning the claim would complicate the PPI claim unnecessarily though.
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Don't worry too much, I think they will check to ensure he didn't receive any policy benefits because these would be recovered from his PPI redress, if the complaint succeeds.

It's just a simple matter of confirming what he says on the questionnaire with their insurance department, which I believe was Barclays Insurance Ireland at the time. Who knows, a declined claim might even be mentioned on their systems. Just concentrate on the single ppi premium aspect and send a photocopy of the agreement with your questionnaire.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ultima wrote: »
    Ok thanks for the advice, was going to use the resolver since that's what the MSE article on PPI says
    It would do since MSE part-own Resolver. However, it's your own choice which communication avenue to use.

You also don't need to mention any abortive "claim" on the insurance. All you need to do is argue that the PPI was mis-sold to him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure