PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Comments

• Guest101 wrote: »
    Missing some key words - which shall not be unreasonably witheld.

Meaning the term may well be unenforceable

Seems like good news to me, if I haven't promised not to unreasonably withhold consent then why can't I go damn well ahead and be unreasonable!!
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Seems like good news to me, if I haven't promised not to unreasonably withhold consent then why can't I go damn well ahead and be unreasonable!!

Because the clause is invalid without that KEY phrase. It's bad news. Stop trying to act up.
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,596
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Please tell me this is a windup. Because if not I can see more tears on the horizon
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,838
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I don't think I would be able to threaten them to report the dog, I can't prove that it's not legal just because it looks strange, I would have to find a way to test its DNA....

I believe some councils collect dog poo and test its DNA to find dog owners that are not picking up after their dog. So it could be easy ;)
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I believe some councils collect dog poo and test its DNA to find dog owners that are not picking up after their dog. So it could be easy ;)

Maybe the neighbour would be so kind? :rotfl:
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    I'm just waiting for "accidental landlord" and "following a relationship breakdown" and my bingo card will be complete.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    GrumpyDil wrote: »
    Please tell me this is a windup. Because if not I can see more tears on the horizon
    No tears. Just a clockwork toy.
  • Guest101 wrote: »
    You just need your NI number - here's a hint, if you didn't give it to your agent then tax hadn't been paid.

I have no idea what that is so I certainly have not given it to anyone.
  • LuckyG wrote: »
    No one is saying that it's right that tenants can do things that you're not happy about or do things that the contract states they shouldn't, but nothing can physically be enforced unless you go to court. This is a lengthy and expensive process, it's one of the things that comes hand in hand with being a landlord.

Backing down, walking away! This is not Britain any more.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yes all taxes are deducted before the money even gets into my account, it's about %25, and I have never heard anything from the tax man. Fine by me
    OK I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that what you write is actually happening

in that case PLEASE understand what you have said above is dangerous nonsense

you are no longer living in the UK. You intend to return to the UK in the future.

your agent is following the law by deducting basic rate tax from the rent they collect. Granted of course you know nothing about tenancy law so I'll say it again - that is the law.

the law says you MUST submit a tax return. The money deducted by the agent is not the end of the matter, in fact it is the worst outcome for you because HMRC now know you are letting a property, receiving rent, but have not submitted a tax return. You can therefore expect to be fined for non submission when they chase you for it.

your agents is not an accountant and knows nothing about your tax position. Your agent cannot possibly submit an accurate profit calculation - all they can do (and probably are) is meet the legal requirement imposed on them as your agent, deduct and pay over 20% tax. End of their responsibility, what comes next will be your fault and your problem.

go and read the non resident landlord scheme rules NOW before it is too late for you to get out of the hole you have dug through letting a property without any idea at all, or willingness to educate yourself first, of what that entails

https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad/rent
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport