PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    It says:

"The Tenant agrees not to keep or permit to be kept on the Property any pets or animals of any description without the previous consent in writing of the Landlord"

Missing some key words - which shall not be unreasonably witheld.

Meaning the term may well be unenforceable
  • Guest101
    The agent registered me on the tax scheme where they automatically skim off taxes before it reaches my account so I don't have to do any administration at all.

Ye that's not how it works, thankfully the majority of tax owed isn't due to be declared until October :)
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The agent registered me on the tax scheme where they automatically skim off taxes before it reaches my account so I don't have to do any administration at all.

:rotfl:

Are they really taking 25% from you, not 20%?

Is the extra 5% some kind of "admin fee" for doing this? On top of the 15% fee for just collecting the rent? :eek:

Or did they tell you the tax rate is 25%?

Either way you are being thoroughly shafted.

Are they also the ones that told you you don't have to do a tax return? Maybe in the hope you don't find out that the "skimming" that's happening is an extra unwarranted 5% into their pockets.

You are really not cut out for being a landlord.
  • Guest101 wrote: »
    Ye that's not how it works, thankfully the majority of tax owed isn't due to be declared until October :)

It is how it works, the agent has paid up all my taxes for the previous 12 month let and the short term lets, if there is any declaring to be done then they have done it!
  • Guest101
    It is how it works, the agent has paid up all my taxes for the previous 12 month let and the short term lets, if there is any declaring to be done then they have done it!

So why not just check with HMRC?

Because quite frankly your agents don't have the authority to tell you this.
  • :rotfl:

Are they really taking 25% from you, not 20%?

Is the extra 5% some kind of "admin fee" for doing this? On top of the 15% fee for just collecting the rent? :eek:

Or did they tell you the tax rate is 25%?

Either way you are being thoroughly shafted.

Are they also the ones that told you you don't have to do a tax return? Maybe in the hope you don't find out that the "skimming" that's happening is an extra unwarranted 5% into their pockets.

You are really not cut out for being a landlord.

It is about %25, if it is normally 2%0 then I am not sure why. But they pay it direct to HMRC and do all the paperwork.
  • Anyone getting the impression that the OP should be thanking a) the tenant for breaking this no pet clause & b) the nosey neighbour as otherwise they wouldn't have posted here & then they wouldn't have realised they were being played by their agent
  • Guest101 wrote: »
    So why not just check with HMRC?

Because quite frankly your agents don't have the authority to tell you this.

Maybe I will try them tomorrow, but it is difficult without being able to get in touch with the agent at all because I don't have any of whatever details or numbers you need for them to identify the tax account, will they give me details if all I have is my name and address? I don't have any tax paperwork at all
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    mollycat wrote: »
    Beginning to wonder if you're taking the mickey?
    The rest of us have been wondering that since the wolf hybrid made its appearance. You need to catch up!
    So in the space of a few hours the tenants gone from having one dog who might shed a bit of hair and necessitate a carpet clean, to having a wolf-hybrid who is eyeing up the neighbours for dinner and destroying the building from the inside out. (according to the totally reliable and not at all gossipy next door neighbour.)
    And OP can never ever evict them because contracts are lies and words no longer have any meaning.

I needed cheering up today. Thank you. ;D
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Guest101
    You just need your NI number - here's a hint, if you didn't give it to your agent then tax hadn't been paid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure