PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm having a nice easy not much CFO day today.
    I opened a youghurt and ate a banana with it for breakfast.
    For lunch I have just had a salad sandwich.
    Dinner will be lasagne that I found in the freezer with some salad. I think that is at least a year old from when I made it for my niece, but it has defrosted now and looks and smells ok so I shall eat it.

Tomorrow I intend to make 'try something new day', so will see what I can find.

I'm hungry again now, but don't want to eat the lasagne yet because it will be too much. I may need to go and get a crumpet out of the freezer :)
  • Hollyharvey

Then I found their 4-packs of beans were at £1 (reduced sugar/salt) and I like those, so got two 4-packs...but as I hadn't intended shopping my arms were full so I paid and left.

Now scoffing a choc ice :)
    I like those beans as well. I will pop in there tomorrow and get some.

A choc ice, now that I do fancy, cancel the crumpet idea off to get a choc ice out of the freezer :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

Tomorrow I intend to make 'try something new day', so will see what I can find.

Don't force it - just be aware and look.... you don't HAVE to buy something ... just embrace the freedom of perusing and choosing something new if it's what you fancy.

:)

If I go out looking for anything, even "something nice for tea" I never find it .... if I go out and just browse I randomly spot stuff sometimes. You never know when you'll be lucky.
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Oh no, I hope that you start to feel better soon and that it improves quickly. You have my sympathy, there is nothing worse than the pain of a tooth abscess.
    Anne_Marie wrote: »

SunnyGirl - oh dear, very nasty. Hope that you feel better asap.
    caronc wrote: »
    Oh how horrible - hope you feel better soon x

Hellooooo!

Thank you for all your good wishes and I can report that I'm finally on the mend but it culminated in a hospital stay and some looking after of me by my Mum. I ended up with an infection all through my jaw which was working dangerously close to my brain and something called dry socket where the tooth was taken out. All excruciatingly painful (and I've given birth 3 times!) Definitely on the mend now.

You have all been springing to mind over the last 10 days or so as I have been recuperating and shopping and cooking for one.

PN Having read your bits on Angel Delight I saw a tub of it in Home Bargains which can be added to milk to make anything from one or more servings at a time. That fell into my basket... I also bought a quiche in Aldi last week and had that for two nights tea. The other two portions are cling filmed and in the freezer for another hot day ;-)

Caronc I have been drinking fruit juice with breakfast which put me in mind of you with your tomato juice. I bought some cartons of orange and some of apple and am alternating them for variety.

HH Choc ices have been purchased.....

Faraway Cherries have been purchased.....

You are all such an influence haha.

I've had the idea of writing the use by date on my cartons of fresh juice in the fridge which makes me drink them as I can be a bu$$er for opening them then forgetting so they end up being thrown away.

I've had a couple of 'cooking days' and put 16 meals in the freezer - lasagnes, spag bols, chillis, keemas and curries - so half my month is sorted. Have also made a months worth of sandwiches for work either ham, cheese and onion chutney or tuna & sweetcorn mayo which I add sliced tomatoes or cucumber to if I fancy it.

Apart from that I haven't really been up to much. Oh I cheated with the garden and invested in two big bottles of spray on weedkiller which has cured the weeds.

Lunch today was a ham, cheese and onion chutney sandwich, crisps, a yoghurt and some cherries. Tea is my favourite quickie meal - boiled pasta mixed with butter, a good squirt of tomato puree, garlic, pepper and olives. I may or may not put some cheese on the top of it all depending how I'm feeling when dishing it up. The 'recipe' such as it is, is from a student cookbook that I bought my middle one when he went off to uni.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 July 2017 at 5:52PM
    Envy again. Cropped trousers are "my style" - and I haven't got a single pair and never have had. Reason being I've not got nicely-coloured skin to be on show in between the footwear and the bottom of the trousers. I'm pretty pale-skinned - not "pale and pasty" as I was whilst being fed the food I had whilst growing up. Once I started feeding myself the "pale and pasty" went thankfully and I was able to discover what colour my skin is actually supposed to be. The answer was, unfortunately = "still pretty pale". There is only about 1 shade of pale that is paler than mine and I just have to count my blessings I've not got that colouring. But - I'm only the next shade up and that means = no bare legs on show:(. Hmmm...wonder if I could wear tights underneath them - to hide that paleness.....(popsocks don't do it for me).
    Believe me I'm a red headed Scot so do pale...... Tbh for the small gap between the bottom of the cropped leg and my feet I don't care if my legs are white. When I was at work during the summer I used to use the Dove gradual self tan stuff. You use it like body lotion and over a few days it takes the edge of the paleness without looking false or streaky;)
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    Hellooooo!

Thank you for all your good wishes and I can report that I'm finally on the mend but it culminated in a hospital stay and some looking after of me by my Mum. I ended up with an infection all through my jaw which was working dangerously close to my brain and something called dry socket where the tooth was taken out. All excruciatingly painful (and I've given birth 3 times!) Definitely on the mend now.

You have all been springing to mind over the last 10 days or so as I have been recuperating and shopping and cooking for one.

PN Having read your bits on Angel Delight I saw a tub of it in Home Bargains which can be added to milk to make anything from one or more servings at a time. That fell into my basket... I also bought a quiche in Aldi last week and had that for two nights tea. The other two portions are cling filmed and in the freezer for another hot day ;-)

Caronc I have been drinking fruit juice with breakfast which put me in mind of you with your tomato juice. I bought some cartons of orange and some of apple and am alternating them for variety.

HH Choc ices have been purchased.....

Faraway Cherries have been purchased.....

You are all such an influence haha.

I've had the idea of writing the use by date on my cartons of fresh juice in the fridge which makes me drink them as I can be a bu$$er for opening them then forgetting so they end up being thrown away.

I've had a couple of 'cooking days' and put 16 meals in the freezer - lasagnes, spag bols, chillis, keemas and curries - so half my month is sorted. Have also made a months worth of sandwiches for work either ham, cheese and onion chutney or tuna & sweetcorn mayo which I add sliced tomatoes or cucumber to if I fancy it.

Apart from that I haven't really been up to much. Oh I cheated with the garden and invested in two big bottles of spray on weedkiller which has cured the weeds.

Lunch today was a ham, cheese and onion chutney sandwich, crisps, a yoghurt and some cherries. Tea is my favourite quickie meal - boiled pasta mixed with butter, a good squirt of tomato puree, garlic, pepper and olives. I may or may not put some cheese on the top of it all depending how I'm feeling when dishing it up. The 'recipe' such as it is, is from a student cookbook that I bought my middle one when he went off to uni.

Gee whizz you have been through the mill SG:eek:, glad you are back on your feet just don't over do it.:)

lessonslearned - sounds as though you are finding what CFO way works for you, glad you are enjoying the freedom of not filling "hollow legs":)

It's wet, grey and none too warm here today and I've done very little. Brunch was bacon, egg and IKEA rostis (I had 2 left in a pack lurking in the freezer). The rostis were ok but more like potato pancakes but tasty enough, I wouldn't rush to buy them again.

Tonight I'm having steak dinner and a couple of glasses of wine! I finished my antibiotic yesterday and start my new meds tomorrow which I can't drink with until they have bedded in so I may as well enjoy a glass.......;)

ETA- I had one of my freebie rhubarb & custard ice cream cones. They were ok but a bit on the sweet side for my taste!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    ...hospital stay and some looking after of me by my Mum. I ended up with an infection all through my jaw which was working dangerously close to my brain and something called dry socket where the tooth was taken out. All excruciatingly painful (and I've given birth 3 times!) Definitely on the mend now.

Blimey - that sounds scarey!

I've never been in Hospital, wasn't even born in one!

Glad you're back... you've missed...not a lot really :)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    OMG SG , I can vouch for how painful dry socket it, as I had it years ago :( Take it easy hun xxx
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Hollyharvey
    Hellooooo!

Gosh, you have been through the mill. It sounds like it has been a really scary time for you, I'm glad to hear you're on the mend now.
  • SunnyGirl
    edited 9 July 2017 at 7:25PM
    Thank you for all your good wishes I'm very touched :o I seem to have missed loads PN although no discussions of the pampas grass variety I note :rotfl: I am much better now and the hospital stay was mostly to get antibiotics into me quickly as the infection spread alarmingly over a day. It was scary and I couldn't have managed without my lovely Mum who is a real trooper despite being 77.

My pasta meal has been consumed with indecent haste as I was starving once I got home from work and I'm contemplating some ice cream now too....

ETA - I must be better as my appetite is back with a vengeance!!
  • SunnyGirl
    Blimey - that sounds scarey!

I've never been in Hospital, wasn't even born in one!

Glad you're back... you've missed...not a lot really :)
    I think you'd like the food in hospital as it's nothing too modern (with your 70's tastebuds) and it's presented to you 3 times a day so no decisions to make. And of you don't like what's on offer a sandwich is usually sourced for you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure