Options
2»

Comments

• CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello there!
    I don't think there is anything wrong with what GB are doing, I suspect that installing a smart meter (SMETS1) is more of a customer service initiative than anyway to do something 'dodgy'. I'm actually quite surprised they've started installing SMETS1 smart meters, but perhaps they've got a good deal from an installer, on this basis. I think it's slightly disingenuous to apply that they are doing anything 'dodgy'.

Dodgy or not, I do not see the point is installing a product that clearly has limited functionality in the immediate future. It is already out of date.

My point is, someone has manufactured these products. There was a cost involved. Someone down the line paid for these and would prefer them not to be disposed of. They therefore prefer to pass them on to customers who are largely unaware of their possible limited functionality. They do not make it clear to the customer at point of swapping meter or offering the meter, of it's limited functionality. If anything is disingenuous....that is!! So that is my point. Nothing more. In fact, for "dodgy"..now read disingenuous!

I do not think it is correct that companies, while knowing that version 2 is coming out next year are still offering these when they are not fit for purpose. Yes they may work as smart meters for some companies and that is great, but when a customer gets a great deal with a company who does not support it, the customer is going to be miffed.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 October 2016 at 8:30AM
    Options
    Dodgy or not, I do not see the point is installing a product that clearly has limited functionality in the immediate future. It is already out of date.

My point is, someone has manufactured these products. There was a cost involved. Someone down the line paid for these and would prefer them not to be disposed of. They therefore prefer to pass them on to customers who are largely unaware of their possible limited functionality. They do not make it clear to the customer at point of swapping meter or offering the meter, of it's limited functionality. If anything is disingenuous....that is!! So that is my point. Nothing more. In fact, for "dodgy"..now read disingenuous!

I do not think it is correct that companies, while knowing that version 2 is coming out next year are still offering these when they are not fit for purpose. Yes they may work as smart meters for some companies and that is great, but when a customer gets a great deal with a company who does not support it, the customer is going to be miffed.

So far we are not aware that the meters will need upgrading. They are very advanced. It could well just be the software in the "hub " which sits alongside the smart meter can be upgraded cheaply.The earlier versions with sim cards may not be suitable.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was offered a smart meter last month, so I rang and asked. I was told that if I changed suppliers it would become a "dumb" meter again. What is the point of that. Sounds to me like just another tick box exercise. When I can have a truly smart smart meter then I may have one. But it won't change my fuel usage & I will still read it every month as I don't trust them & their application of the technology.

I am on the opposite side to Sacsquacco who seems to think we all steal power, I think they will steal our money if we stop paying full attention to what they are up to.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    I was offered a smart meter last month, so I rang and asked. I was told that if I changed suppliers it would become a "dumb" meter again. What is the point of that. Sounds to me like just another tick box exercise. When I can have a truly smart smart meter then I may have one. But it won't change my fuel usage & I will still read it every month as I don't trust them & their application of the technology.

I am on the opposite side to Sacsquacco who seems to think we all steal power, I think they will steal our money if we stop paying full attention to what they are up to.

I take exception at that remark that I think "we all steal power ". Energy theft in my experience is mostly amongst the people who can least afford it and are mostly on prepayment meters. I work in towns such as Howden and Epworth where I have never found a fiddled meter in the 15 years I ve been working there but the central terraces of Doncaster are awash with fiddlers. Some streets in Hexthorpe (close to the town centre ) it is rare to be admitted to examine the meters nowadays.
  • azzadle
    azzadle Posts: 55 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    Personally the only suppliers I would not use for smart meters is Ovo and Utilita. These two suppliers will virtually entrap you to stay with them without a battle to leave them with possible extra costs if you leave within the first year of the contract. They will go out of their way to fob you off and delay doing what they have to do. They use meters made by Secure ( the Liberty model ) which nearly all the others cannot support so it would require a meter exchange just to switch supplier.
    I ve had smart meters for a good few years now and been around the block switching around with EDF/EON/Sainsburys. I m now back with good old BG ( and cheapest electric tariff in the UK ) where the meter is back working smart ( as it was with Sainsburys ). I m now moving house so I m back to a pair of credit meters . It wont matter one jot whether I get SMETS1 or SMETS2 or SMETS72 , I will accept whatever smart meter they fancy fitting.Its only a half our job per meter to update and that will be done on a Saturday so I don t lose any work time or holidays.

Utilita do not charge exit fees, not sure where you got that from? What 'extra charges' are you referring to?

Quite a few suppliers now support S1 meters too - Utilita, OVO, Utility Warehouse, E and Economy Energy are the ones that spring to mind. Even if a customer did change to a non-supported S1 supplier the new supplier can't forcibly remove the meters, what's the point in sticking an old meter in when they can still provide readings, albeit not remotely which is what you'd have to do with an old meter anyway...
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    Options

I totally agree and customers currently being fitted the SMETS1 meters will be at the back of the queue when the later SMETS2 meters start to get installed when they finally get their act together and stop this silly meeting their allotted quota farce!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    azzadle wrote: »
    Utilita do not charge exit fees, not sure where you got that from? What 'extra charges' are you referring to?

Quite a few suppliers now support S1 meters too - Utilita, OVO, Utility Warehouse, E and Economy Energy are the ones that spring to mind. Even if a customer did change to a non-supported S1 supplier the new supplier can't forcibly remove the meters, what's the point in sticking an old meter in when they can still provide readings, albeit not remotely which is what you'd have to do with an old meter anyway...

A few micro suppliers may support the Liberty meters, but none of the big six do.The extra charges are what Ovo try to get out of the customer when they switch supplier as costs towards the meter removal. They use this as a bargaining chip to keep the customer from switching amongst other delay tactics. The customers I have personally met on my rounds who have had this problem are on prepayment meters. One customer was so sick of them she wanted to go back to BG and not be bothered with a stupid meter which could nt automatically add credit.She had to do it manually by imputing a 40 digit code at the correct speed, not slow or fast.Ridiculous..Try that if your eyesight is poor and you re 85 !
  • azzadle
    azzadle Posts: 55 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Didn't know OVO charged anything for leaving unless the customer's in a fixed term deal. I know simpler energy / payg energy and any smart tariffs have no exit fees but standing charge is abominable.

Yeah, they're not flawless by any means. Parts of the country will never have a hope in hell of getting one fitted due to communications - get someone in a tower block whose meter is on the bottom floor and they're 20 flights of stairs away and they've got no chance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure