PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Checking in with a nsd. I'm going to keep a tally of these this month. I'm trying to aim for no more than 3 spend days a week.

Using up what we have in combined with 'use the recipe books you have got and don't buy more' resulted in a beautiful side dish of swede, onion and sage (utilising my new herb bed) from the River Cottage Veg Everyday book. I subbed the butter for olive oil and it was the sweetest side ever. I will be cooking that again. Trying to use cheaper Veg.

Also trialled making fudge as teacher gifts with 2 of my children. Ds2 is a fudge fiend! I am happy to report all 3 children voted it a success. So we will start production in a week or so. Xx
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Can I be put down for £155 for July please? Thank you!
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • FoxFace
    FoxFace Posts: 362
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Morning everyone, checking in late with yesterday's spends :)

Total of £39.86p for the week for the main shop. Will likely be a NSD today as I definitely don't need anything! £20.14p of this week's budget left.

Have a great day everyone!
    Fox
    x
    Debt Free Journey started 21.05.2017
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Chloris wrote: »

Using up what we have in combined with 'use the recipe books you have got and don't buy more' resulted in a beautiful side dish of swede, onion and sage (utilising my new herb bed) from the River Cottage Veg Everyday book. I subbed the butter for olive oil and it was the sweetest side ever. I will be cooking that again.
    I love proper sage and onion stuffing, make it in huge batches and freeze in portions, my D.I.L. can`t get enough, my daughter just looks sideways at her, she`s eaten it all her life. I would love the recipe for the addition of swede please, another well used by me veg.
    I have shelves of unused cookbooks, and gardening, it`s quicker now to "google" it
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811
    Forumite
    Maybe separate out the store-cupboard things that are not this week's spend? I have a 13th month in my spreadsheet called stores and it goes up or down depending on the spend on consumables, month by month.

I’ve tried a similar thing before but find it difficult to track what I’ve actually spent each month as I don’t have a surplus to put aside for a stores fund.

Good luck to your DH and hope he doesn't have to be without work for long. :( I read it on your board a few weeks ago and was really concerned.

Thank you. He has a couple of irons in the fire and is keeping busy doing some work on our house which we would have previously paid someone else to do.

We spent another £12 yesterday on beer, snacks and some pack lunch items for DS for later in the week. I have told DH we just can’t afford to keep spending on beer and the extras we always buy when we nip in to the shop for a beer. DH has agreed to cut down and I will buy the agreed amount with the weekly shop which will avoid the expensive top ups on unhealthy snacks.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Chloris
    Forumite
    pamsdish wrote: »
    I love proper sage and onion stuffing, make it in huge batches and freeze in portions, my D.I.L. can`t get enough, my daughter just looks sideways at her, she`s eaten it all her life. I would love the recipe for the addition of swede please, another well used by me veg.
    I have shelves of unused cookbooks, and gardening, it`s quicker now to "google" it

Hi. It's a very easy recipe.
    A splash of olive oil
    1 swede chopped into 1cm cubes
    1 large onion sliced
    About 12 sage leaves shredded
    Sea salt and black pepper

Heat oil in pan. Add swede, onion, half the sage, salt and pepper. Stir well and when the vegetables start sweating, cover the pan and reduce heat a little. Cook stirring occasionally and if swede starts sticking, just add a splash of water to loosen. When swede is tender and onion caramelized, approximately 40 minutes, stir through remaining sage and check seasoning. Serve!
    The original recipe called for 50 grams of butter instead of the oil but I am dairy free hence the tweek. I'm looking forward to yesterday's leftovers tonight. Xx
  • Chloris
    Forumite
    Spend day. Milkman, lunch money and eggs. Hoping for a nsd run until weekly shop on Thursday.

Dinner tonight will be largely leftovers. Curry for me, veggie sausages, vegetables and rice for the others. I'll need to make some packed lunch items too; cous cous, vegan lemon drizzle cake and maybe vegan Welsh cakes. X
  • stoopy
    stoopy Posts: 55
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just done my shop from today till Thursday inclusive. Did not make a list for lunch or breakfasts and know I!!!8217;ve forgotten a few items, and didn!!!8217;t remember fruit. Not sure if I!!!8217;ve got enough to last until Friday!! Annoyed about that but will try to be disciplined when I go back. (Or go to a market). Already have chicken for two meals in the freezer, and soup from freezer one of the meals. Got some reduced mince too. Needed laundry gel, a box of cereal and cheese to stock up.

All came to £23.75.
    Grocery Challenge Jul £380.75 Aug £637 Sep £539.82 Oct £53.43 / £475
    EF 3-6 challenge #104 £739.25/£10000
    MFW2018 #183 0/£2000
  • Spent £1.50 on emergency ice lollies for DS today, so have £113.50 left in this month's budget.
  • Hi all,

New month, new grocery challenge! I'd like to join the July challenge with a goal of £110 again, please.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport