PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tips to save money to pay debt off quicker

Comments

• B17c
    B17c Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Afternoon all! Thanks for the responses guys! :beer:

Ahh that's lovely of you tiredwithtwins! But I'm in south west London :o that's a great idea though... I was thinking of getting a Costco card but unless you have a business I think you have to pay a membership fee... I'd need to look into it as I'm sure I would be saving the amount of the fee but i want to do the maths (not my strong point)!

Thanks mayflower10cat! :) I have been trying to not spend ANY money on anything other than bills and groceries, this has been working so far, I've spent nothing in 7 days! :money: I'm eating my way through my fridge and cupboards, then my freezer and cupboards and not buying any extras, I'm batch cooking and meal prepping my meals for work, if I forget to take it I'll have to go hungry! I went through my statement online the other week... £270 on cr*p!! :eek:

Thanks Juliettet! Fabric softener is MY thing! I'm obsessed with nice smells! Though I suppose if I had a really nice smelling washing liquid/powder then I wouldn't mind... ;)

NelliePie! I've heard of these I think..?! Do you just stick it in the drum with your clothes and you don't need anything else?? I might invest in one of those in the future, sounds like a great money saver! I've got to work my way thru my collection of liquids/powders first though... :rotfl:

Day off today, I'm shattered. I should be sleeping really as I worked last night but I have noisy flatmates and they've repeatedly woken me up today... I'd like to live on my own but the rent in London even for a studio flat is astronomical and for a shi*tty shoebox :mad:
    I actually live in the area that's supposed to have the cheapest council tax in the whole of London!

Someone is hopefully coming tomorrow night to pick up a couple of fragrances I listed on marketplace, that should be £80!
    I haven't managed to speak to my friend who I want to do a carboot with, she's been off work sick, though I spoke to my other friend who is trying to get me babysitting work... she also might be able to get me bodyguard/chaperone work in August which would be excellent as it's well paid, it would just interfere with my main role I think... it's for 4/6 weeks.

I'm off to hang my washing out but I'll be having a browse thru the other forums so say hello!!! :T xx
    Credit Card Debt:[STRIKE]£12991[/STRIKE] £12526
    14/12/18 27/12/18
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019
    #126 £1900/£12526
  • B17c
    I just made £100 on Facebook marketplace! :beer:
    14/12/18 27/12/18
    #126 £1900/£12526
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 20 June 2018 at 7:01PM
    Give up the fabric softener its a by product of the petrol chemical industry and puts a layer of plastic on your clothes. Use less washing powder than
    it says on the box. I use almat from Aldi and a bottle lasts me ages. White vinegar will kill any soap left in clothes, it does not smell.

You can also use lower temperatures to wash which will save money on your electric bill.

At one point we were in debt to the tune of £20,000. I decided it had to go, and go it did, it took me 4 years. I still use a credit card, but pay it off each month regardless. If you can get a 0% deal, transfer your highest interest card and try and pay a bit extra than the minimum payment each month, you will be surprised how quickly it goes down, make sure you pay it off before the 0% period runs out though.Make the minimum payments on the rest of your debts and then transfer the next card and use the money you were paying on your first debt to your second debt and so on. If you sell stuff pay the money off your debt. You will find a lot of advice on the old style board as well as recipes for frugal food. Good luck on your journey.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi
    Ifyou are giving up the cigs then have a chat with your local pharmacist.
    When I (finally) packed up I got 8 weeks of nicotine replacement for 1 prescription.
    Then as I didnt use them all I passed them to a friend who also wanted to quit.
    HTH
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Oh, well done B17c. If you go on at this rate you'll have paid off the Aqua card by the end of the year.

To add to what csarina says, I always use about half the amount of detergent they advise and use white vinegar instead of fabric conditioner. Not only does it remove every last trace of soap it is good for the machine as well. If I have anything particularly dirty to wash I chuck a handful of soda in the drum with the clothes.

You've made a brilliant start. Now try to get some rest. Getting over tired is A Bad Thing.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • B17c
    Thanks Deleted_User, I'm not sure my credit rating is good enough to open another line of credit but it's a good idea... I'm the only one in the house that washes most things on 20°, my flatmates wash their towels on 90° :eek: the highest I'll go is 60... my stuff doesn't seem to get that dirty!

Thanks Tealady, that's good info! Though I'll probably just go cold turkey! :eek:

GrannyMonna! I know, I was well pleased! I managed a few hours sleep but I'm not back at work until Saturday night so as long as I catch up before then I'll be ok :)

A day of listing on marketplace and eBay I think, started boxing up stuff last night for a carboot, I have less than I thought! I need more stuff to sell! :T

I have to go out today and buy toilet roll since no one else will... I don't really want to because I've been doing so well with the NSD's, don't want to lose my win streak! I'm fairly sure it's payday on Tuesday wish I could drag it out til then but we're nearly out and there's 3 of us... I might start keeping it in my room and they can buy it for a change! :mad:
    14/12/18 27/12/18
    #126 £1900/£12526
  • monnagran
    Good idea to buy your own loo paper. You just have to remember to take it with you when you go in there.
    Tip: if you can find anywhere that sells Nicky it is the best of the cheap toilet paper. They come in pretty big packs, I think the last one I bought was 24 rolls in a pack, so if you keep them in your room you'd better make a feature of it.
    Knit or crochet a handy cover and make out it's a footstool or coffee table for instance. The very latest in interior design!

If you only have to buy loo rolls between now and payday you can give yourself a pat on the back. The more 'no spend' days you can achieve the better. The trouble with going into shops is seeing things that you think you may as well get while you're there. Or "Oooh, that's a bargain too good to miss." Or " I'm going to need one of those so if I buy 3 for the price of 2 I'll get one free."
    The only answer, as you've found already, is to stay out of shops. When you DO have go in for the weeks food or urgent medication or something entirely necessary, make a list, stick to it, put on your blinkers and don't even look at anything else. It soon becomes second nature.

You can be so proud of yourself. You have come a long, long way in the few days of this campaign. Sleep well.
  • To the posters who mentioned using vinegar instead of fabric softener, can I ask how much you typically have to use in a wash?
  • monnagran
    About the same or slightly less than your conditioner.
  • B17c
    GrannyMonna, that's exactly it, I 'need' some foodie bits too but if I don't go out I can't buy them! I can wait til payday. I also do my grocery shop online so I'm not tempted by goodies and treats.

I know one of my housemates is doing the same thing re keeping toilet roll in his room because I saw him do it yesterday :rotfl: he's the concencious one, the other one is a pain in the bum!

We're also going to speak to the other housemate about looking into switching our utilities around for better deals, we rent, but seeing as it's us that pay the bills every month it shouldn't be a problem should it?
    14/12/18 27/12/18
    #126 £1900/£12526
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business