Travelling On

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Morning! More sunshine here! :j
    For the first time in my whole (long:eek:)life I'm having nights of very disturbed sleep. Not just occasionally but almost every night:(. It doesn't matter too much as I haven't any important appointment ...
    Ouch, it *does* matter, CBC - not getting enough sleep long term is really serious, it actually affects our lifespan, I'm sorry to say, thats why I take the OTC - even with that, I'm only managing to be in bed for about 6.5 hours, but at least I'm asleep for nearly all of that.
    I fear it has become a game now:

"DD steal Daddy bed? DD sleep in her own bed!"

"NO! MY SLEEP IN DADDY BED :D"
    Uh oh! :rotfl: you've got problems there, my friend. But it also sounds absolutely, cutely, charming
    :happylove hearts for little DD :happylove

Okay, here's the essentials on the to-do list:
    - pay French accountant.
    - email French accountant to ask about selling apartment and not being charged the VAT.
    - phone bruvver.
    - finally tackle the porch, which is getting overwhelmed again.
    - text my boardgames buddies, as we're scheduled for tomorrow.

More would be great, but thats whats needed.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,822
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Whats needed is enough.
    I have written 3 birthday cards so far.
    Do need to post though.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Forumite
    Right, done the two French items, the accounts are **really** expensive for what they are. Hopefully they'll reply to the email in a few days.

On to the porch.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 22 March 2018 at 3:58PM
    gallygirl wrote: »
    The house martins have started returning here :T and I think I saw some swallows as well :T.

How are you with ospreys - am guessing they're a bit too big :eek:. The webcam at Rutland Water is up and running though I don't think any have left Africa yet.

I'm not sure where you live,gg, but it must be a long way south of us. I've just checked my 2017 diary and read that our house martins arrived in large numbers and had started nest-building by 12th May. I told you I was obsessed by them:o, I even write about them in my diary:rotfl:. That's my pen and paper diary not one on MSE by the way.

As for Ospreys, they're certainly too big:eek:. I like the martins because they're so small and keep well out of the way:j. Either they're on the wing or in their nests just under the roof overhang. I've been known to walk a very long way round a big group of pigeons on the ground. Is there a term for a group of pigeons I wonder? I remember having to cross Trafalgar Square with my parents when I was a young child and being absolutely petrified:o:eek:
  • Karmacat
    Forumite
    CBC, you're right, she lives south of all of us -if you check out Gally's diary, also on the mfw board, you'll see she lives in Spain :) I'm not betraying a confidence there :)

I saw a heron a couple of days ago, in a stream that runs through my village. No ospreys :)

Ahem. One of the things that was blocking up the porch was a kilo of bananas, bought impulsively for an experiment with a piece of kit I bought ages ago, a little dehydrator. I've seen people raving about banana chips recently, and I thought I'd give it a go. I must have been mad :o Anyway, its humming away to itself. I used a fourth tray to snip down one of the pots of chives - everything was about to flower, which is no good for a pot thats going to be planted out in a month or so, so it all went into the dehydrator. Weird mix of smells :rotfl: bananas and chives.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I'm not sure where you live,gg, but it must be a long way south of us. I've just checked my 2017 diary and read that our house martins arrived in large numbers and had started nest-building by 12th May. I told you I was obsessed by them:o, I even write about them in my diary:rotfl:

As for Ospreys, they're certainly too big:eek:. I like the martins because they're so small and keep well out of the way:j. Either they're on the wing or in their nests just under the roof overhang. I've been known to walk a very long way round a big group of pigeons on the ground. Is there a term for a group of pigeons I wonder? I remember having to cross Trafalgar Square with my parents when I was a young child and being absolutely petrified:o:eek:
    According to Mr Google the collective noun for pigeons is a kit. Though I think it should be a plague :rotfl:.

Yes, as KC says, I am in Spain, roughly where North Kent or Southern Essex would be in the UK :rotfl:. If you don't like ospreys how about these little fellas - seen a fair few the last couple of days :smileyhea. Oh, and these :) . We also get flamingos passing through - I expect that'd have you fainting :rotfl: . Love seeing different birds to the UK (well, many can be found there if you have the time, which I never had!).
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Karmacat
    Forumite
    They're lovely! Thanks for that, Gally :)

When I went to Florida to watch a shuttle launch, I remember being fascinated by all the pelicans :) the alligators by the entrance to NASA were also quite interesting :rotfl:

Half an hour weeding cut short - felt like somebody stabbed me :eek: I need to do some strengthening exercises for my back, nothing cardio, just strength - apparently that also helps posture and stomach :D

To-do list update: phoned bruvver, each updated the other :)
  • gallygirl wrote: »
    According to Mr Google the collective noun for pigeons is a kit. Though I think it should be a plague :rotfl:.

Yes, as KC says, I am in Spain, roughly where North Kent or Southern Essex would be in the UK :rotfl:. If you don't like ospreys how about these little fellas - seen a fair few the last couple of days :smileyhea. Oh, and these :) . We also get flamingos passing through - I expect that'd have you fainting :rotfl: . Love seeing different birds to the UK (well, many can be found there if you have the time, which I never had!).

Lucky you living in Spain:j:beer:. I wasn't aware of that fact until KC mentioned it.

Yes, I agree about the 'plague' of pigeons:rotfl:

The pictures are lovely but seeing anything with such sharp beaks at close quarters would finish me off:o. Strangely, we have a huge variety of birds visiting our garden and OH puts out all sorts of feeders and spends a fortune on wild bird food. I'm happy viewing the birds through the window from the safety of the house but come out in a cold sweat if I'm in the garden and any come too close.

Years ago I was sunbathing on the grass in our garden when a pack of guinea fowl escaped from the land next door. I didn't see or hear them approach but looked up suddenly to find myself almost surrounded. We were eyeball to eyeball:eek:. I know they're only small but I'm ashamed to say I jumped up and ran into the house screaming:o
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,826
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I do love a hoopoe - and they remind me of childhood holidays where the kids' club was the Hoopi (the Hoopoe) club :) Do you get bee eaters as well Gally? (I think that's what the other one in that picture is?)

CBC - you have my sympathy. As someone who had an insane fear of all forms of fungus until a couple of years ago, I know what it's like to be terrified in the garden... (the tiniest toadstool would have me running and screaming.) Have you considered hypnotherapy? It worked wonders for me and now I smile when I think about how terrified I used to be of even having mushrooms in the fridge. It was a weird process (the therapy), but absolutely amazing in what it achieved and my life is much better for it :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Forumite
    I have great sympathy for anything anyone does that looks like an overreaction to something ... I have several triggers to a startle response myself, it's horrible.

I've been burrowing my way out to my front door :D and I got there :j so at least its clear enough to clean properly :o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure