Travel credit cards

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 April 2018 at 7:33PM
    A couple of things I have noticed about the Tandem card:

When you want to pay off the amount of a cash withdrawal you have made, the payment goes first to the cash withdrawal, not to any purchases made even if they have already appeared on your statement. This is useful when making such payments to reduce daily interest accruing on withdrawals. With most other cards payments go towards already statemented purchases first, so it's easier with Tandem. This was explained and confirmed to me when I enquired via the in-app chat, although I'm unable to confirm it by personal experience (this month).

Usually when a credit card is used to withdraw foreign currency from a MoneyCorp multicurrency ATM at a UK airport, selecting 'Without Conversion' to circumvent the imposition of MoneyCorp's own dreadful exchange rate, it is converted by the card and recognised as a foreign transaction without any cash advance fee (if it's a 'travel' card without overseas fees). But with Tandem this is not the case, the conversion is made at the MasterCard rate but the UK location of the ATM is recognised and a 'Cash Advance Fee' is imposed by Tandem. I discovered this when withdrawing $200 at Stansted recently - the fee of £3.54 appeared and was explained by CS as above, but they refunded it as a one-off goodwill gesture at my request.

I think there was something else I also noticed, if I remember I'll add it later...

...Ah yes - when you make a transaction or withdrawal in a foreign currency a notification is given as usual and it is shown immediately in the app, but only as an amount in pounds. Don't despair that you may have been charged in pounds by mistake, a couple of days or so later when the transaction settles the final amount in both pounds and the local currency will be shown. Tandem differs again in this from most cards, where usually the provisional amount in both currencies is shown from the outset. The Tandem app doesn't display the exchange rate given, you have to calculate it yourself if needed.

The app is not yet showing any improvement in the couple of months I've been using it - hopefully it will do so - perhaps they should poach a few decent app developers from Revolut..!
    Evolution, not revolution
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ormolu wrote: »
    Looking to get a travel credit card

- Tandem (can't seem to find any eligibility info, but probably my preferred option right now)
    - B Credit (60-70%)
    - Aqua Advance (80%)
    - Virgin Travel Credit (95-100%).

I'd very much like the option of cash withdrawal in case. I also want a card with a good app
    You can pay off any credit card with your banking app, if set up as a payee in advance.

No need to be so anxious about your credit file, it won't be trashed by another application. Go for the Tandem if that's what you want, or the Starling Bank account. If unsuccessful get the Loot prepaid account and MasterCard instead, or as a backup anyway, no credit check. It is equally fee-free except for £1 per ATM withdrawal after the first two free per month:

https://loot.io/
    Evolution, not revolution
  • ormolu
    ormolu Posts: 15 Forumite
    Thanks a lot for the advice! After further research, my Revolut card basically corresponds to Starling or Loot in terms of using it for cash withdrawals abroad, so will use that and get the Virgin for purchases (and backup) since it's 0% for a year.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    ormolu wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for the advice! After further research, my Revolut card basically corresponds to Starling or Loot in terms of using it for cash withdrawals abroad, so will use that and get the Virgin for purchases (and backup) since it's 0% for a year.

Did you do your research with blinkers on?? :money:

Revolut;
    ATM Withdrawals up to £200 / €200 / 200USD / 200CHF / 800PLN / 1,500DKK / 2,000SEK / 2,000NOK / 800RON or currency equivalent per month are free. Anything over the above limits is charged at 2% of value of ATM Withdrawal

https://www.revolut.com/th/fee-schedule

https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/ has no such restriction.

Pay closer attention to your finances.
  • TANDEM credit card dreadful service
    New card arrived on wed 18th Apr phoned to activate
    Tried changing pin number - didn't work called again next morning Thu 19th to be told card hasn't been activated correctly
    Both occasions operators advised i would be using the card in Dublin the weekend after 2nd call I was able to change pin
    Arrive Dublin Fri night 7.45pm tried using card for car hire deposit TRANSACTION DECLINED
    Tried calling but customer service only Mon-Fri 8am-8pm no use if you have a problem on Friday evening as I did
    Luckily I had as alternative but more expensive card to use but no offer to reimburse these fees just an apology for not coming up to expectations
    Needless to say I have closed tje account without ever using it
    NOT RECOMMENDED
  • gwokka
    gwokka Posts: 26 Forumite
    I'm just wondering I pay money into my with tandem credit card account before travelling abroad then withdraw cash from an atm will I be charged interest?
  • jneilh
    jneilh Posts: 1 Newbie
    I have just applied for a Halifax Clarity card and was also wondering (see qwokka 2 May) about paying money into the account prior to using ATMs abroad. Would interest charges be eliminated? Any remaining balance can be simply used on return to uk. Does anyone know if card issuers would allow pre-loading?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jneilh wrote: »
    I have just applied for a Halifax Clarity card and was also wondering (see qwokka 2 May) about paying money into the account prior to using ATMs abroad. Would interest charges be eliminated? Any remaining balance can be simply used on return to uk. Does anyone know if card issuers would allow pre-loading?

No they don't. It is against the terms and conditions.

If you pay off the interest as soon as possible it will be pennies, so why bother?

Two of us spent a month in Australia using Clarity cards for cash and we paid less than a pound in interest.
  • gwokka
    gwokka Posts: 26 Forumite
    I've just read tandem t&C's and there is nothing in there that states I cant make an upfront payment
  • HotPotato
    HotPotato Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just want to be clear here as someone thats been using (and raving about) Revolut, but is now getting massively frustrated with them:

With the Starling card/account, I can take as much as I like out from ATMs abroad with no additional charge above a certain amount?

One of the things I also like about Revolut is the ability to do international transfers at spot rate. Does Starling let you do that?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback