Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Comments

• Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,185
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Great! So government costs go down, but our costs go up.

A sort of stealth re-distribution of funds from our pockets into the back pockets of wealthy politicians. :rotfl:

This is good news Mart? :rotfl:

I think this is one of the most illogical statements I've ever read on these boards. Or am I missing the point completely?
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,713
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 August 2017 at 2:22PM
    Great! So government costs go down, but our costs go up.

A sort of stealth re-distribution of funds from our pockets into the back pockets of wealthy politicians. :rotfl:

This is good news Mart? :rotfl:

Hiya, perhaps something got lost in translation. What I'm saying is that whilst we see the subsidies for renewables, and hence we are told by the Torygraph that it's 'bad', what we don't see are the subsidies that go to FF's.

Since they both come from us, either openly as a levy on our energy bills, or 'less openly' as general tax and spend such as NHS health costs, or shortened lives, reduced earnings etc, then there is some balance ... in that as we pay more RE subsidies, we will hopefully pay less FF subsidies. Then eventually we'll pay very little RE subsidies, but still pay less FF subsidies.

So the good news isn't that we pay any of the subsidies, but that the increase in RE subsidies will result in savings elsewhere.

Though I appreciate I wasn't very clear, and this explanation isn't particularly good either.

[Edit: On re-reading, I can see that I failed to conclude that paragraph properly, to explain why it's good news, or at the least how the bad news is equalled out by good news. So I've edited the post and hope that it makes more sense now. M.]
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,440
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 7 August 2017 at 3:02PM
    I think this is one of the most illogical statements I've ever read on these boards. Or am I missing the point completely?
    My interpretation of what Mart said (which could be wrong) is that the burning of FF goes down, therefore cost for other external services such as NHS (just picked as a quick example) goes down meaning lower outgoings for the government, but in return our taxes will not reduce (my assumption), in fact we are paying an extra tax on our energy bills.

More in, less out. The surplus no doubt finds its way in to a new duck pond for some incompetent plonker.

WOuld be interesting to see FF subsidies listed on the bill wouldn't it?
  • Martyn1981
    Forumite
    WOuld be interesting to see FF subsidies listed on the bill wouldn't it?

Total gamechanger I suspect, nobody (give or take a few oddballs) would moan about RE subsidies ever again.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,440
    Forumite
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    So the good news isn't that we pay any of the subsidies, but that the increase in RE subsidies will result in savings elsewhere.
    And my inelegant post was trying to point out that the savings will not likely be passed on to us, but be absorbed by the crooked in charge.

I'm glad green subsidies are happening, but the Torygraph seemed to be painting them in a bad light with all the blame going to solar and wind power.
  • Martyn1981
    Forumite
    Forget the title, the idea here is much bigger.

Solar and storage could save homes £600 each year, new report finds
    The report, released by Swansea University’s Specific Innovation and Knowledge Centre, claims that an integrated system comprising solar PV roof installations, battery storage and solar heat collection technology on south-facing walls could cut energy consumption by more than 60%.

The findings are backed up by a working demonstration project completed on a school in Swansea. The ‘Active Classroom’, as it has been dubbed, has generated more energy than it has consumed since receiving the complete system six months ago.

It is also based on designs for a social housing development called Active Homes Neath, put forward by the housing association Pobl Group.
    The report goes on to claim that if 1 million homes were built in the UK to the same standard, peak generating capacity required would be reduced by as much as 3GW.

• Martyn1981
    Forumite
    UK storage (just like world storage) is currently small, but gaining pace:

Utility scale pipeline offers a diverse future for UK storage
    What we can learn from this landscape is that the market is continuing to transform and as projects move towards completion we are seeing a wider range of business models and applications. The installed capacity will increase quickly as we start to see the larger projects being completed and while we do expect to continue to see a range of sizes built, larger projects will account for the highest proportion of the overall installed capacity.

• silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,775
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Forget the title, the idea here is much bigger.

Like the adverts on my tablet, save £350! when my energy bills are only around £250 a year.

Mind you, I'm cheating a bit as I have a nominal £10 a month budget line for my woodburning for firelighters, maintenance, a few briquets, new chain for the saw etc. This year my capital expenditure included a luvverly Fiskars splitting axe, and I'm wondering if I can hide it under 'Insurances' or 'Home Security'. :D

But yes, we should be doing so much better with new build, except we have such a limp and short-term government.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,353
    Forumite
    Like the adverts on my tablet, save £350! when my energy bills are only around £250 a year.

Mind you, I'm cheating a bit as I have a nominal £10 a month budget line for my woodburning for firelighters, maintenance, a few briquets, new chain for the saw etc. This year my capital expenditure included a luvverly Fiskars splitting axe, and I'm wondering if I can hide it under 'Insurances' or 'Home Security'. :D

But yes, we should be doing so much better with new build, except we have such a limp and short-term government.
    ... firelighters ? ... that's a bit extravagant - must have money to burn ... :eek:

What's wrong with newspaper, sticks and bellows ? ... ;):D

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Forumite
    Al Gore: Trump has failed to knock Paris climate deal off course
    Donald Trump has failed to knock the Paris climate agreement off course despite his efforts to derail it, according to the former US vice president Al Gore.

“The US will meet its commitments [on emissions] in spite of Donald Trump,” he said in London, where his new film An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power was released on Friday. “Every other country has pledged [to combat climate change]. I think the psychological message is that the train has left the station. The signal sent to investors, businesses, individuals and civil society is extraordinarily powerful.”

He said the US president was now isolated and unable to prevent global action on climate change, despite his announcement of the US’s withdrawal from the 2015 Paris agreement.

“I was very concerned at his speech – I feared that some other countries would use it as an excuse [to delay or withdraw from the Paris agreement]. I was extremely gratified that the rest of the world redoubled their commitment to Paris,” he told journalists.

“I think he has isolated himself. Even today in the US, members of his own political party in the House [of Representatives] and the Senate are beginning to separate themselves from him, and why wouldn’t they?”

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback