PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Comments

• Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Whisky in Scotland, whiskey in Ireland!

Yes, that!

Scotch Whisky is far lovelier! I'm quite jealous, whatever! I love Scotland....it would suit me and my hot flushes! x
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Best country on this earth to live! - but maybe I'm a wee bit biased ;)Mancbird remember that council offices and many many other official and unofficial bodies close on Xmas eve and don't reopen until the 3rd Jan. And I think you're going to feel COLD! - bring real wooly woolies lol
  • Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    mardatha wrote: »
    Best country on this earth to live! - but maybe I'm a wee bit biased ;)Mancbird remember that council offices and many many other official and unofficial bodies close on Xmas eve and don't reopen until the 3rd Jan. And I think you're going to feel COLD! - bring real wooly woolies lol

I've been a few times. Love it there. The most noticeable thing each time was driving home...Southwards, obviously...and seeing the cloud of smog coating England. Frightening! x
  • Hi Peeps,
    My chimney was swept on Saturday :-) and I already have this year's supply of fuel stacked up and ready to use! Now that the sweep has been, I want the changeable weather to just make its mind up and decide that we are in fact in Autumn and will soon be in Winter...it has been too warm, too often for my liking.
    I need to check on my food stocks but that will have to wait until next week (half term holiday)...I will also be baking my Christmas cake that week and making some fruit mincemeat (I hate mixed peel so shop bought has never been an option for me), that can be "fed" over the next couple of months.

Keep posting, I read every comment and learn lots from them all the time!

Alice
    xx
    Debts in March 2007:
    Loan £24,180 Argos Card £2000 C Card £2000 O/draft £2000 Mortgage £113,000
    Debts in Jan 2020:Loan £2900 Sister £0
    Argos Card £0 :j C Card £0 O/draft £0 :j
    Mortgage £96,000 (finally on a repayment mortgage :) )
    Getting there slowly .....
  • Requests for porridge for breakfast from my biggies = def chilly bike ride to school ahead!

We live in a rented house - GCH but a plastic roofed conservatory at the back of the living room. Issue is it is only separated from living room by a set of ( lovely thermal ) curtains. It is blooming freezing in the morning.

Question is - would an oil filled radiator be any use? If so what spec do i need? Prob only have a budget of £40....
  • I would love to live in Scotland. Who knows, maybe one day. For now, it's London for us.

The dehumidifier recommended to me has come back in stock, so I think I may purchase it. We do dry some clothing inside in the winter, so it's probably a good investment with this older house. I've only seen a little condensation on the windows in the last few days, but the temps have been milder, so not sure if that's part of it. Better safe than sorry.
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    :xmastree: :xmastree:
  • It 's time to change my 2.5 tog quilt for the woollen one I think as I woke up chilly in the night even with a fleece throw on top of it. Not bad going for half past October though is it? So far we've only lit the stove once when it was damp cold here this year but it's set and ready and I think will be in regular use quite soon now. The food I'm cooking is changing slightly too and we're wanting old fashioned warming dishes rather than the lighter summery foods. All part of natures plan I guess!
  • Well thank goodness for woollen quilts, I had a much better nights sleep last night than I have for weeks and feel so much more 'pingy' today. We lit the stove again last night too and the lounge is comfortably warm this morning instead of being just on the cool side.
  • mardatha wrote: »

I moved here 25 years ago. Warm clothes are a must. People are lovely.
  • Wow. Glad I got the dehumidifier. Loads of water being pulled into it. Good idea, I think.

Slowly stocking up, just trying to figure out where to put it all.
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    :xmastree: :xmastree:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport