Revealed: Passport applicants given shorter renewals after stealth rule change - MSE News

Options

Comments

• Jeronim00
    Options
    david13 wrote: »
    Why don't we just tell these EU half-wits (Barnier, Juncker etc) that if they want to visit us, their passports must have been issued in the last nine years!

LOL, the 10-year rule is tighter for the USA and a lot of Asian countries. The EU aren't really all that fussed. Let's not forget that it is the UK which is choosing to change the nature of its status, not the other countries. Their rules are not changing. What is surprising however is that the UK gov is using this as an excuse to reduce the amount of time carried over, ultimately penalising its own citizens and trying to blame third parties. Or maybe it isn't.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    However, there was still no requirement for the government to change the system of having up to 9 months added onto passports when renewed.
    All they needed to have done was to advertise the fact that anyone travelling on a passport that had been issued more than 10 years previously wouldn't be allowed entry into EU countries.
    After all, there are many countries that won't allow you in if your passport has less than 6 months validity on it yet the government don't make it a requirement that you must renew before this 6 month remaining period is reached.
    9 years 6 months apparently. Which means some passports might not be valid in the EU 1 year and 3 months before the expiry date. Given that most people travelling abroad from the UK probably go to the EU, it was probably a sensible move, as it's far less confusing to be told that your passport has to have 6 months validity left than it need to be 9 years and 6 months since issue.

But not very well handled in terms of timing and communication. We'll probably see that with other things which someone's only just realised...
  • zagfles
    Options
    All it is doing is bringing the UK into line with just about every other country in the world when it comes to passport renewals.

I agree with Brexit completely and if amongst other things that will cost me money because of it I have to pay a little bit more for my passport, I'm more than happy to do so.
    Cost of passport is trivial compared to cost to UK travellers of the plummet in the pound.
  • zagfles
    Options
    As far as I'm aware, (and I'll happily be corrected if wrong) no other country in Europe extends passports by up to 9 months when renewing.
    Why do you consider "taking back control" and "keeping out immigrants" to be nonsense?
    Ah, so before Brexit, we got to do our own thing, unique in Europe, by extending passports up to 9 months. After Brexit, we have to fall in line with the rest of Europe and not extend.

Is that "taking back control" :rotfl:
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »

I think the 'taking back control' mantra is primarily to do with that buffoon Johnson getting his incompetent, dangerous hands on the premiership.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    9 years 6 months apparently.
    Where did you get that from?
    The actual requirement in the Schengen border code clearly states that upon entry, the passport must have been issued in the previous 10 years.
    Entry conditions for third-country nationals

1. For intended stays on the territory of the Member States of a duration of no more than 90 days in any 180-day period, which entails considering the 180-day period preceding each day of stay, the entry conditions for third-country nationals shall be the following:

(a) they are in possession of a valid travel document entitling the holder to cross the border satisfying the following criteria:

it shall have been issued within the previous 10 years;
    Ah, so before Brexit, we got to do our own thing, unique in Europe, by extending passports up to 9 months. After Brexit, we have to fall in line with the rest of Europe and not extend.

I don't know if you've noticed, we haven't actually left the EU yet.

The UK government don't have to fall in line with any other government. They chose to do this so it has nothing whatsoever with taking control or not.
    Even if was an EU requirement, (which it isn't), what on earth would it have to do with taking back any control as this can only start happening once we have actually left.
  • zagfles
    Options
    Where did you get that from?
    The MSE article:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/09/free-eu-roaming-can-t-be-guaranteed-if-no-deal-brexit-/
    In the event of NO deal... you may have to renew your passport early. After 29 March 2019, you'll need to renew your passport in advance if you plan to travel to certain EU countries and your passport will be older than nine years and six months on the date you plan to travel.
    I don't know if you've noticed, we haven't actually left the EU yet.
    :rotfl:I don't know if you've noticed, but these changes are preparation for Brexit!
    The UK government don't have to fall in line with any other government. They chose to do this so it has nothing whatsoever with taking control or not.

Even if was an EU requirement, (which it isn't), what on earth would it have to do with taking back any control as this can only start happening once we have actually left.
    Yeah, we'll have full control over what passports we issue. Problem is, passports aren't much use if they don't meet the criteria of foreign countries that people want to travel to. So unless there's a deal, we'll have less freedom with passports than we did before! Same with trade and loads of other stuff that involves co-operation with forriners. Like with passports - we'll likely end up with less control than we had before ;)
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
  • sje_111
    Options
    Unless the only countries that require a maximum 10 year validity period are within the EU, there's something wrong with the logic on this.

If other countries have this maximum 10 year period then we would have had problems before now.

Sounds like a way for our dear government to make yet more money from us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure