Tech temptation i phone xs.

Options
Dandytf
Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 15 September 2018 at 1:01PM in Mobiles
Continueing from title.
With 3rd party mobile re cycle sites offering upto £360 for my i phone 8.
I find myself approx £95 debit if I were to pay off this device which I think isn't bad at all considering I'm only a few months since purchase.
Which brings me onto why, simple i phone xS temptation.
Found sky mobile 0 upfront cost -£37 per month/£12 or £15 monthly data plan -I think 3 gig runs a bit close sometimes for data so 8gig@£15 per month would more than sufffice.
Point being I'm currently paying :-

I phone 8 £24 per month device cost
21.67 4 gig data
11.66 insurance

E.g. data bill Aug to Sept
£52.37
Device+Data+Insurance
£76.37
Edited minus 9.54 i pad pro data
Correct i phone 8 total is 66.63

I honestly think switching provider to take advantage of total £52 per month xS cost -is a considerable saving + a new tech mobile.

Any thought mser's
Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb

Comments

• simonbk
    Options
    Better still, pay off what you owe on the iPhone 8 and switch to a SIM-only deal. You can get unlimited minutes and texts with 6Gb of data for £10 a month these days...

Put aside the money you save and you'll have enough to buy a secondhand XS next year...
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Did you notice that the £37/month option is on a 30 month credit plan......not your usual 24 months ?
  • Dandytf
    edited 15 September 2018 at 3:58PM
    Options
    Thanks mser's both valid points
    I did run i phone 6 after 24mths contract for 1 year approx 10gig sim only-before moving to SE.
    I did read 30mth contract via Sky mobile-and calculated total xs cost including data-+1.56k approx.
    I haven't yet ordered as 21st Sept is earliest order date -I would need to time re cycling iphone 8 or re cycle immediately and use basic Sony handset which I have with Sky.
    Cost difference in re cycling with current provider is £115 debit rather than 3rd party £95 debit.
    With the latest i phone release I feel i phone 8 may de-value rapidly though I,m no expert at all
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • simonbk
    Options
    With at least one new iPhone model being released EVERY year your shiny new iPhone will be out of date in about 10 months or less! I gave in to temptation and bought an iPhone 7 a couple of years ago (the limited edition Jet Black) but have no intention to upgrade again as none of the new features appeal to me.

My iPhone does everything I want it to do - and more... I won't be upgrading to the X series until they are £200 or less (second-hand obviously), which I'm guessing may be around 2020-21 (maybe sooner!)

Personally, I find simply installing the newest iOS makes me feel like I have a brand new phone each year so as long as the 7 remains upgradable, I'm happy!
  • Dandytf
    Options
    thanks simonbik

I only upgraded 8 to ios12 last night.
    oled screen could be xs upgrade feature, 8 is nice phone and excellent condition.
    haven't yet decided, though slightly tempted
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    As others said, forget the "I can upgrade".

Go SIM only, stop buying phones on credit, do something useful with the huge amount of money saved each month.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 4 October 2018 at 10:21PM
    Options
    Dandytf wrote: »
    With 3rd party mobile re cycle sites offering upto £360 for my i phone 8.
    Usually what they actually pay is much less than what they "offer" - yet another point to be aware of
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    iOS 12 has brought a new lease of life to my SE and 8.

As Grumbler points out some recycling companies quote good prices then knock you down on value when they test it but I’ve personally found Mazuma Mobile and Envirofone to be the best (so far).

Envirofone sometimes email you saying they’ve not received the handset yet and allow you to extend it for a further seven days before quoting you the ‘up to’ value on their website.

Personally? I would hang onto your 8 for a wee while longer yet, save some cash, go SIMO then buy a “new” iPhone second-hand further on down the line.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Dandytf
    Options
    20aday wrote: »
    iOS 12 has brought a new lease of life to my SE and 8.

As Grumbler points out some recycling companies quote good prices then knock you down on value when they test it but I’ve personally found Mazuma Mobile and Envirofone to be the best (so far).

Envirofone sometimes email you saying they’ve not received the handset yet and allow you to extend it for a further seven days before quoting you the ‘up to’ value on their website.

Personally? I would hang onto your 8 for a wee while longer yet, save some cash, go SIMO then buy a “new” iPhone second-hand further on down the line.

As I'm only 6 mths into 24 mths contract -sim only isn;t an option as yet.
    Only thing that stopped me ordering xs last night is that it isn;t going to be available from 21st Sept at the earliest -possibly later
    I did use music magpie as posted when I re cycled i phone se -and completed successful transaction -I could go this route again0if I were to choos for example RPC re cycle then it keeps my deification cost down to £95 approx whereas music magpie would be £115 deficit.
    I'll be dropping my mobile number to change provider which is a nuisance though not a great concern.
    Thanks meser's valid financial savings suggestions.
    This is a tech decision with some monthly savings though greater overall costs occurred.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    Usually what they actually pay is much less than they "offer" - yet another point to be aware of

Yup. That's the reason why I like O2 Recycle. I've found that they do actually pay what they offer provided the phone is in reasonable condition for its age. But some other recyclers do offer more just to get the attention of the seller and then actually pay much less. Then we have the hassle of refusing and then waiting for the phone to be returned and then selling it again. But ebay is always an option.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure