I did not receive the Tracked Item. Where do I stand ?

Options
adindas
adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 13 April 2020 at 2:10PM in Consumer rights
What to do if you do not receive the tracked item ?

Comments

• mattyprice4004
    Options
    Tracked doesn’t need a signature.
    Playing the devils advocate, how do you know someone in the post room didn’t steal it?
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes they can get away with it because as far as they are concerned it's been delivered. Maybe you should look closer to hone regarding who has it. If it goes to a post room then it could be whoever has access to that room.

If it's not the first time then you may have a thief. But then again why would you order from a company you don't trust to deliver?
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tracking systems work on GPS and are accurate to within a few metres so it would have to have been scanned at your specified delivery address to be considered delivered. As it is a post room it suggests a business that gets a fair volume of mail, do you really think a post person could scan an item and somehow pocket it without somebody in your workplace seeing it? Where I work we get quite large volumes and things are often brought into us in mail bags or boxes where each item is scanned it is probably the same where you work.

Why would you think that firstly a post person would want to risk their job and risk getting a criminal record for a stick of RAM? Do you really think that many posties would even know what a stick of RAM is or what it is for? (Some probably do but there will be lots who don't) and secondly if they were going to steal something, why would they steal a tracked item that has GPS tracking instead of stealing an untracked item that they could just pretend they never got in the first place.

It wasn't sent as a signed for service so no signature was required so you cannot expect them to provide a signature that doesn't exist. Even if it did require a signature it would be scanned along with every other tracked or signed for item delivered to your work place that day with a single signature for them all, just because the person that greets the postie signs it doesn't mean that that person then actually handles that mail other than to put it (in a big pile or box) on a table for other people to then sort through.

Of course it could be that someone in your work place has stolen it, or they could have mistakenly given it to the wrong person and the other person has kept it, or it could just genuinely been misplaced.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Just to clear up this specific point....
    adindas wrote: »
    I paid the item via PayPal. Where do I stand, Could I claim back my money ?

No. Paypal will not refund you, you will lose the case as the item is showing as delivered*

*unless the delivery is showing from a delivery office not relevant to the delivery post code, i.e. if the delivery is to London and the delivery office was Edinburgh, then you would have a case.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 September 2018 at 7:32PM
    Options
    Contact RM and ask them to check the delivery GPS.

I am not quite familiar how tracking system work. Is there any possibility that the delivery person in Royal Mail lost it (or take it) and mark it as delivered ?.
    So log in on their PDA account,scan it as delivered and not deliver it?
    Of course before I raised the issue to them I have been checking them thoroughly where I could find the item. I do not want to play the devil's advocate with my colleague, do not want to get involve in this game either. What I could say is that I and other people have been using my work address for many years, even in much higher value items. It is very rare that the item has lost.
    rare but has happened?
    They can not provide any evidence who sign or receiving the item. If they could provide any evidence to this I could definitely could chase the person who sign receiving the item. Could they get away with it ?. How reliable the tracking system work is, are they error free, Is there any possibility of tempering or influence of the people who is operating it ?
    given its an unsigned service,hardly surprising. Delivery staff have no access beyond scanning delivered/undelivered. PDAs track GPS scanning points and are constantly GPS logging the delivery route.
    In many instances if it is recorded and delivered it is normally I normally signed by me or my colleague as proof of receiving the item.

Again,there is no signature
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

I just wonder do I have a leg, if I do raise the case to PayPal or Authority such as advertising standard authority (or the like if there is any) ?

You've already been told that Paypal won't entertain a claim, and there is no case for the ASA to find in your favour because the delivery was free. You either need to accept the loss or take it up with your post room.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 September 2018 at 12:35PM
    Options
    Thanks all for the input. Although I have been using my work address even for much higher value item for many years, I fully agree that it could happen that someone from my workplace steal it. But I could not chase the devil as I do not know who they are and you do not want to play a devil advocate with your work colleague.

I have no doubt MyMemory is a reputable company and they offer one of the best price for the items like SSD, HDD, memory stick, Micro SD card, RAM etc. I have been purchasing items them since five years ago. Only that the last few deliveries I did not receive the item and they usually send it using Royal Mail.

One thing I will need to mention here is that. MyMemory is advertising the item as free delivery. It does not say whether it is recorded, not recorded or whatever.

They are the party who decide to to use unrecorded delivery for the item, not me for a cheaper option.

I just wonder do I have a leg, if I do raise the case to PayPal or Authority such as advertising standard authority (or the like if there is any) ?

Why are you still going on about recorded delivery? (its Signed for BTW)
    What do you feel is misleading about offering free postage?
    If its an issue,why didnt you check before ordering?
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This sort of thing is why some companies won't allow personal deliveries to the work place.
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    I did not receive the Tracked Item. Where do I stand ?

Depends whether you have a leg or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport