PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry questions

Comments

• Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,776 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hello everyone,

We are buying a house, currently we are at the last stages, but I have received a mail last week, that there is a restriction in the land registry, which has to be removed before we can exchange.

How much time does it take usually? And how can I check if the solicitor is working on it already?

Thanks in advance :beer:

All depends on what type if restriction it is, whose lodged the application and whether it's to cancel/disapply (owner) or withdraw (restrictioner) it

Worse case scenario 4/5 weeks as we woukd need to confirm with restrictioner that it's ok to remove it. Best case a week/10 days
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • I hope this is the right forum to ask the question about where to find out who owns a property!

A couple of years ago, I had the luck of winning a nice lump sum of money and I am now looking to buy a couple of – for me – desirable properties for my son, daughter and myself in “all cash deals”.

The properties that I am looking to give bid on are typically “spotted” when driving round the country side and in towns and typically not “on the market”.

Does anyone here know of a site on the Internet, where I can look up who the owners of these properties are (being it the freehold or the leasehold), preferably for free?
  • All depends on what type if restriction it is, whose lodged the application and whether it's to cancel/disapply (owner) or withdraw (restrictioner) it

Worse case scenario 4/5 weeks as we woukd need to confirm with restrictioner that it's ok to remove it. Best case a week/10 days

Thank You for the reply, this is the title number: MS563915
    Could you check that for me please? What is restriction, and if the solicitor has started the process or not. Thanks
  • Land_Registry
    Hi,

Does a will override a joint ownership?

My mum & dad own a house ( separated) my mum was living in the house and my dad has passed away. The house was left to the children however mum believes it is hers from
    Joint ownership

Can someone help?

If the legal ownership was registered in their joint names then it has passed to your Mum as a result of Dad's passing.
    I assume Dad left his share in the beneficial ownership to his children, rather than the whole house as your Mum has a beneficial share also.
    If he did leave his share then you would need to check and confirm what other arrangements exist re their beneficial shares before deciding how best to proceed.
    For example his will may have stated that she could carry on living there until her own death. But if she sold or moved on then the children would get their share.
    We would not have those details
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Land_Registry
    Sadelmaker wrote: »
    I hope this is the right forum to ask the question about where to find out who owns a property!

A couple of years ago, I had the luck of winning a nice lump sum of money and I am now looking to buy a couple of – for me – desirable properties for my son, daughter and myself in “all cash deals”.

The properties that I am looking to give bid on are typically “spotted” when driving round the country side and in towns and typically not “on the market”.

Does anyone here know of a site on the Internet, where I can look up who the owners of these properties are (being it the freehold or the leasehold), preferably for free?

Not aware of any site that would provide such details for free. But GOV.UK can assist with registered properties for a minimum fee of £3
  • Land_Registry
    Thank You for the reply, this is the title number: MS563915
    Could you check that for me please? What is restriction, and if the solicitor has started the process or not. Thanks

No application as yet against that title number so nothing currently with us

If they are looking to cancel or disapply it then it is likely to take a few weeks as suggested depending on what supporting evidence is submitted. You'll need to rely on your solicitor here
  • I was previously assisted in terms of a query regarding adverse possession as the property which I am trying to buy has a section of garden which is owned by someone else. The application has been lodged and has been expedited, presumably due to the pending sale, this happened 2 weeks ago. Are you aware If there is any current delay in the ordnance survey going out to look at the property? Our seller now seems to think that this might now not be required despite a letter from the land registry indicating it was necessary but I’m a bit concerned that he hasn’t been contacted to arrange an inspection (the Land is enclosed) if one is required.
    Many thanks for all your help so far.
  • sdpoo
    sdpoo Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 September 2018 at 9:00AM
    Hello, I'll try to keep this brief!

I bought my house around 7 years ago. The selling solicitor was executing an old farmers will, he had no remaining close family.

The farm consisted of a bungalow with 8 acres plus a pair of semi-detached houses on much smaller plots.

I bought one of the two semi's which share a piece of driveway (at the road entrance, then fork off) and septic tank. The bungalow has its own driveway but also shares the septic tank.

Historically the properties were never registered as separate entities and were only registered when sold. The first semi and the bungalow were sold in 2010, and the title of our neighbours semi explicitly mentions rights to use the shared septic tank and the maintenance of the shared driveway.

However, unfortunately, when I bought my semi in 2011, the title was not registered with rights to the septic tank and no mention of the shared driveway which it should've been as presumably the rights should've been granted to both semi's by the executor of the will at the first registration. I'm not sure if this was an omission by the selling solicitor, my buying solicitor or the land registry.

I'm now in the process of selling the house (which has already taken a great deal of time) and our buyer's solicitors have found this anomaly between the two houses. Our solicitor has completed an application to the LR to add these rights to my title. The only supporting evidence we can provide thus far is the title deeds for the matching house sale next door.

I wondered two things:

1. How likely am I to be successful in adding these rights to my title? My title number is NK413893

2. How long could this take? My buyers only have a few weeks left on their current RAF accommodation and this could cause our chain to collapse :(

Many thanks to all.
  • Hi

I could do with urgent advice with regarding buying a property. I’m pretty desperate as I am currently renting and have got an enviction notice. My solicitor is still refusing to set a completion date.

My vendor had to buy the freehold for their property before we can buy the house due to various reasons. Long story. They have now applied to Land registry for transfer of deed into their name. Could someone advice if that has been done yet and what time scales we are looking at? The title number is MAN80807.

I am so worried that we won’t be able to complete before our eviction date...

Many thanks!
  • Land_Registry
    Emma2409 wrote: »
    I was previously assisted in terms of a query regarding adverse possession as the property which I am trying to buy has a section of garden which is owned by someone else. The application has been lodged and has been expedited, presumably due to the pending sale, this happened 2 weeks ago. Are you aware If there is any current delay in the ordnance survey going out to look at the property? Our seller now seems to think that this might now not be required despite a letter from the land registry indicating it was necessary but I’m a bit concerned that he hasn’t been contacted to arrange an inspection (the Land is enclosed) if one is required.
    Many thanks for all your help so far.

Expedition means it's considered normally within 10 working days. A survey is invariably needed then that is normally requested within 10 days of consideration.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback