Train Delays guide discussion

Comments

• Jim02
    Jim02 Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I submitted a claim to GWR in AUGUST, and I've just heard back.

My train was delayed by 34 minutes due to gravel on the track from a freight train, and I missed my connection as a result.

GWR are claiming that my delay was caused not by them, but by the operator of my onward journey!

Of course, the "recent train times" website doesn't go that far back (23rd August).

Luckily, I took a picture of the matrix screen as I got off the train, clearly showing that the arrival time was AFTER the departure of my connection.

So I've replied to GWR's email in fairly stiff terms, enclosing the picture and reminding them of the circumstances of the delay. Hopefully they'll 'fess up; if not I'll go for a FoI request for that day's train times.

But be aware - GWR are clearly not above trying to shift blame to other operators to avoid paying out for legitimate claims.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    I'm trying to claim for a London Midland that was cancelled the other day. Then the next one was cancelled too. So I had to wait over an hour, and was late for work. Hoping to get a refund of sorts, probably get 25% but there we go. :) I'll make it up by not paying for a few days.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Jim02 wrote: »
    I submitted a claim to GWR in AUGUST, and I've just heard back.

My train was delayed by 34 minutes due to gravel on the track from a freight train, and I missed my connection as a result.

GWR are claiming that my delay was caused not by them, but by the operator of my onward journey!

Of course, the "recent train times" website doesn't go that far back (23rd August).

Luckily, I took a picture of the matrix screen as I got off the train, clearly showing that the arrival time was AFTER the departure of my connection.

So I've replied to GWR's email in fairly stiff terms, enclosing the picture and reminding them of the circumstances of the delay. Hopefully they'll 'fess up; if not I'll go for a FoI request for that day's train times.

But be aware - GWR are clearly not above trying to shift blame to other operators to avoid paying out for legitimate claims.

GWR changed their customer services to outsource it to Capita earlier in the year...

...Otherwise known as Crapita
  • Elara
    Elara Posts: 1 Newbie
    Virgin trains - brilliant, fill in form online, got the delay repay (my train was cancelled so delayed me)

Cross country - pain in neck, Paddington closed and they passed it to GWR so I contacted my MP who is going to make sure the complaint re my nightmare journey is followed through. ( icouldnt get home because Paddington closed, took 6 hours to get to Reading so no trains home to Cornwall so late so travelled the next day. so delayed 22 hours - luckily had friends I could stay with. wont ever buy tickets from Cross country again and am looking at buying a car
  • Morning All,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of being reimbursed for only part of their journey due to purchasing advance singles instead of a return?

My partner and I were delayed for over 6 hours (arriving at our destination gone midnight!) on a Transpennine Express service in December. One of the only things keeping us going when we were stood in minus temperatures for over an hour at 10pm, was the thought of having our £150 train ticket refunded in full due to the length of the delay.

However, we have (finally) received confirmation from Transpennine Express that they will be refunding us £85. When I questioned this, they informed me it was because we were travelling on advanced singles therefore were only eligible for the one leg of the journey.

When we booked these tickets via the TrainLine, I was under the impression I was booking us a return journey. I selected "add return", the tickets I received stated "outbound" and "return" journey (although they do also say advance single).

Is this correct? Are we really only entitled to half of our money back?? :(

Thank you!
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    seaves91 wrote: »
    Morning All,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of being reimbursed for only part of their journey due to purchasing advance singles instead of a return?

My partner and I were delayed for over 6 hours (arriving at our destination gone midnight!) on a Transpennine Express service in December. One of the only things keeping us going when we were stood in minus temperatures for over an hour at 10pm, was the thought of having our £150 train ticket refunded in full due to the length of the delay.

However, we have (finally) received confirmation from Transpennine Express that they will be refunding us £85. When I questioned this, they informed me it was because we were travelling on advanced singles therefore were only eligible for the one leg of the journey.

When we booked these tickets via the TrainLine, I was under the impression I was booking us a return journey. I selected "add return", the tickets I received stated "outbound" and "return" journey (although they do also say advance single).

Is this correct? Are we really only entitled to half of our money back?? :(

Thank you!
    If you were delayed on the outbound trip but the return was OK they will pay compensation for the delayed part. There is nothing to be compensated for the return journey assuming that ran as normal.

Incidentally don't use Trainline next time as they charge a fee. Most train operating companies offer the same fares and no fees.
  • Last week I had an advance single for a Cross Country train. The station staff recommended that I get on a Virgin train which left 30 minutes before the train for which I had a ticket, as the service in general on that line was subject to delays and operators were accepting one another's tickets. The train I used was 2 and a half hours late, and the train I "should" have used was behind that and would have been at least as late. Do you know whether it is possible to make a claim, and if so, to which operator?! Thanks..
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    You claim for the delay to your actual journey, so in your case to Virgin.
  • Just be warned - I made a delay repay complaint to northern rail 5 weeks ago explaining how they terminated my train and i ended up missing my flight. The customer service team have just replied to me today acknowledging my complaint and asking me for a photo of my ticket. It was 5 weeks ago so of course I no longer have it. The customer service team are obviously understaffed and unprofessional and do not want to process any kind of good will or compensation. I will be paying the extra for taxis in future as this is around the third time my train has terminated with no warning . Bad going northern rail - step it up!!
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just be warned - I made a delay repay complaint to northern rail 5 weeks ago explaining how they terminated my train and i ended up missing my flight!!
    Duplicate post: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5817638
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure