Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • slemon
    • By slemon 19th Jul 19, 9:46 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    slemon
    customer missed 3 deliveries - what do i do as a business?
    • 19th Jul 19, 9:46 AM
    customer missed 3 deliveries - what do i do as a business? 19th Jul 19 at 9:46 AM
    I sell perishable products online.

I've had an email today saying their delivery hasn't arrived and when I track it, I can see they've had 3 missed deliveries. After which, it gets destroyed or returned to sender. As they are perishable they just get destroyed.

Usually I just have to resend, but the customer is disgruntled because they arrive late. So not only do i have to pay for two lots of postage and two lots of product, I am left with an unhappy customer that probably won't come back so it's not even worth spending the money to send again!

I can't control what time the courier will arrive - once it's left my premises i have no control over it - But I'm expected to replace the parcel that hasn't been delivered, even though its the customers responsibility to be in to receive the parcel - but you can't say that without sounding rude!

I've tried using royal mail but so many got 'lost' and no way of tracking. Royal may tracked is too expensive (half the price of the product again!)

This happens more often than you would think!

Do i just have to suck it up and replace these parcels or am I being too soft sending them out again when technically it's the fault of the customer?

Help!
Page 1
    • martindow
    • By martindow 19th Jul 19, 11:17 AM
    • 8,247 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    martindow
    • 19th Jul 19, 11:17 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 11:17 AM
    In these circumstances I would refund and not send a replacement. Troublesome customers rarely reform.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 19th Jul 19, 11:29 AM
    • 12,579 Posts
    • 27,857 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    • 19th Jul 19, 11:29 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 11:29 AM
    Who are you using?

I usually always have a problem when I buy something and it is sent by Hermes /Yodel.

They often say they have attempted delivery when I have been in all day and sometimes two days in a row.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 19th Jul 19, 11:38 AM
    • 62,456 Posts
    • 44,888 Thanks
    soolin
    • 19th Jul 19, 11:38 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 11:38 AM
    In these circumstances I would refund and not send a replacement. Troublesome customers rarely reform.
    Originally posted by martindow
    I agree, apologise for the fact that they were not in to take delivery (I always apologise even when it is patently their fault) ask them to open an INR case and refund. before doing all that block them first and don't resend goods, if they were unable to take delivery before then it is unlikely they will bother with the next one.

As above though, that might all depend on the courier- are they the sort that 'forget' to leave cards or do not have any facility for collection from a depot?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • 19lottie82
    • By 19lottie82 19th Jul 19, 3:55 PM
    • 5,814 Posts
    • 8,716 Thanks
    19lottie82
    • 19th Jul 19, 3:55 PM
    • 19th Jul 19, 3:55 PM
    Iím taking it you used Hermes or Yodel? Theyíre very annoying in the fact they donít offer an option to collect your parcel from a depot if you miss the courier, where as Royal Mail / DHL ect do.
    • 8ofspades
    • By 8ofspades 19th Jul 19, 4:01 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    8ofspades
    • 19th Jul 19, 4:01 PM
    • 19th Jul 19, 4:01 PM
    If you're an online business and you only sell perishables, I would seek out a delivery service that offers a set day and/or time slot and add to my terms that it is up to the customer to be in for the delivery, if this kind of situation happens frequently (and either absorb the extra cost or charge it to the buyer). If it's a rare occasion, or the products are not worth the cost, I would suck it up and either offer the buyer a refund or resend when it happens.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 19th Jul 19, 11:17 PM
    • 8,973 Posts
    • 5,182 Thanks
    RFW
    • 19th Jul 19, 11:17 PM
    • 19th Jul 19, 11:17 PM

I can't control what time the courier will arrive - once it's left my premises i have no control over it - But I'm expected to replace the parcel that hasn't been delivered, even though its the customers responsibility to be in to receive the parcel - but you can't say that without sounding rude!
    Originally posted by slemon
    As said above you need to be using a better courier service that allows you to keep track of the product. It's not really the customer's responsibility to be in, it's yours to get it delivered. The customer may well not know they've had three delivery attempts. I had something similar recently when I was in all the time to take delivery.

If you're selling perishable items (or indeed anything) you need to factor in some losses for non delivered/lost items. You can do that two ways, use a better courier and work out the price you need to be selling at, or use the cheap courier/mail service and work out how many missing/perished items you can get away with before it eats in to your profits.
    • General Applause
    • By General Applause 20th Jul 19, 7:51 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    General Applause
    • 20th Jul 19, 7:51 AM
    • 20th Jul 19, 7:51 AM
    As said above you need to be using a better courier service that allows you to keep track of the product. It's not really the customer's responsibility to be in, it's yours to get it delivered. The customer may well not know they've had three delivery attempts. I had something similar recently when I was in all the time to take delivery.
    Originally posted by RFW

I would respectfully disagree.

If you are ordering stuff that wont fit through the letterbox to be delivered to your home, knowing you are out at work all day, whose responsibility is it?

I would just be refunding and not resending. Three missed deliveries is taking the pis$.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 20th Jul 19, 9:09 AM
    • 62,456 Posts
    • 44,888 Thanks
    soolin
    • 20th Jul 19, 9:09 AM
    • 20th Jul 19, 9:09 AM

If you are ordering stuff that wont fit through the letterbox to be delivered to your home, knowing you are out at work all day, whose responsibility is it?

I would just be refunding and not resending. Three missed deliveries is taking the pis$.
    Originally posted by General Applause
    If I were ordering perishable goods, which I do on occasions (gluten free goodies chilled mainly ) I use companies that tell me before I order exactly what day my item will arrive - guaranteed. Most use couriers that then text you in the morning with a delivery time slot - usually a 2 hours slot. That way I can arrange to be in or make sure someone else is. If they can't tell me the exact day then I won't order, I can't wait in for several days on the off chance the courier might be slower or quicker than estimated.

I actually haven't ordered from any of my usual places for several months now purely as I have been busy and don't want to commit to being in to take delivery. Once it gets into winter again when I am more likely to be home a lot then I will start to reorder.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • RFW
    • By RFW 20th Jul 19, 9:24 AM
    • 8,973 Posts
    • 5,182 Thanks
    RFW

Originally posted by General Applause
    It's the seller's responsibility to ensure the item gets delivered. It doesn't make any difference if the buyer's an idiot or not. If anything you should always assume your buyer's an idiot and do everything to minimise any loss because of it.

In this case, as far as I can tell, the OP only has the word of the courier that any delivery attempt was made.
    DPD, for example, have a host of ways to leave the parcel, deliver to an alternate address, leave in a safe place, etc and offer a one hour delivery window. You'll get more problems using a service that doesn't offer any of those. If you're ok using the less reliable service then factor in the losses you'll get because of it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,691Posts Today

9,160Users online

Martin's Twitter