Empty bottles taken off people in security

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    greenbee wrote: »
    ... or any other airport I've been through in the last 5 years or so...

I've still got the bottle I brought through Dalman last week.

Although I'd heard that there are now water fountains in airports I didn't take one with me to Gatwick as I wasn't sure. Instead I do what I usually do which is buy one at Boots (with Advantage points). I then used it throughout the holiday (sports bottle at the side of my bed) and brought it back with me.

In any event, it's hardly a risk to take an empty plastic bottle. I'd certainly be asking why if it happened to me though.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    elsien wrote: »
    Taps in the washrooms?
    I'm not sure that I'd trust water from taps in a washroom to be OK to drink.
    I'm sure I've seen notices saying 'non potable'.
    Catania airport has no water fountains so if you took your own bottle, there is nowhere to fill up

Then just buy a bottle airside
    Jeez! How hard are you making this? :cool:
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for the advice. I rather not have an argument with a security official.

Even if you don't argue with them, you're still only losing a water bottle.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I'm not sure that I'd trust water from taps in a washroom to be OK to drink.
    I'm sure I've seen notices saying 'non potable'.

Then just buy a bottle airside
    Jeez! How hard are you making this? :cool:

Not making my life difficult but other travelers may be disappointed with no facilities to refill their bottles
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    maman wrote: »
    I've still got the bottle I brought through Dalman last week.

Although I'd heard that there are now water fountains in airports I didn't take one with me to Gatwick as I wasn't sure. Instead I do what I usually do which is buy one at Boots (with Advantage points). I then used it throughout the holiday (sports bottle at the side of my bed) and brought it back with me.

In any event, it's hardly a risk to take an empty plastic bottle. I'd certainly be asking why if it happened to me though.

Gatwick does have fountains. I only know south off the top of my head. It's in the corridor leading to the toilets near the wetherspoons. And as there are two toilets near wetherspoons as you face spoons it's on your left near the lift.

But for future reference......https://wateratairports.com/forum/countries/
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,391 Forumite
    And Catania does have a water fountain, but according to the latest post, the poster wasn't allowed to use it?

https://wateratairports.com/topic/catania-fontanarossa-airport-cta/
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Catania airport has no water fountains so if you took your own bottle, there is nowhere to fill up

A piddly 500ml of water won't make much difference if you're in Sicily in August. You need a multi pack of 2l bottles. It's unbearably hot. Sweat running off you in rivers hot.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 20 July 2019 at 9:13AM
    Not making my life difficult but other travelers may be disappointed with no facilities to refill their bottles
    Difficult enough to start a thread about the 'risk' of taking an empty bottle...:cool:

TBH, if I've paid for a holiday in Sicily (not the cheapest destination in the world) I wouldn't be worrying about not being able to get free water at the airport coming home.

I really can't see why you can't take an empty plastic bottle to Manchester airport and fill it up airside and then do the same at Catania airport.
    The worst that can happen is the water fountains aren't working and you get some jobsworth in Frankie and Bennys who doesn't know the airport has signed up to the 'Refill' scheme.
    So you just buy water and ditch the empty bottle.
    They got their water through meal deals at Boots and Superdrug
    Is there a Superdrug at Manchester airport?
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Where is this thread going?

Starting with a rumoured and hard to believe non-story of twelve of the OP’s associates having empty water bottles confiscated from them at various U.K. airports, to a very minor grumble now that he can’t fill up his own water bottle from a fountain airside at a small secondary Italian airport.

Nothing to see here...
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    My post got deleted. I did reference other posts by the OP but didn’t see a problem with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure