buying a Mac?

Options
After having problem after problem with Windows I've said to OH I would like to purchase a Mac. The only drawback being the price!

I was wondering if anyone here has experience of buying the "re-newed" Macs on amazon? They say they're not apple certified and are only guaranteed for a year, but they do seem to have good reviews.

The other option of course is to save up for a brand new spang-dangled Mac laptop (£1000-ish) but I'm thinking maybe I don't need all the new modern features, as I only really use the computer to do my banking, check my emails, surf the net and use social media etc

Would you trust amazon uk for buying a second hand Mac?

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would sort the Windows problems .
    <<banking, check my emails, surf the net and use social media etc >>

Are you sure its windows as all that is via a web browser /email client .

What windows what problems ??
  • mksysb
    mksysb Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would replace Windows with Linux. No need to spend thousands on a mac when you can get a better experience on your existing laptop for free!!
  • Erinome
    Erinome Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    One of our computers is Windows and Linux. You can boot into either. Windows doesn't like this, especially when it does its (time-consuming and infuriating) updates.

The other one is just a really old laptop (Windows XP), and I can't surf to certain websites, I get an error message come up. Browser's probably out of date.

I have had a Mac in the past, though (a feeebie given to me) and really liked it :)

Windows is only needed for certain software that won't run on Linux, otherwise we'd have happily lobbed the thing out the window years ago, lol
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Erinome wrote: »
    I only really use the computer to do my banking, check my emails, surf the net and use social media etc

Surely you don't need a computer, a tablet would serve your requirements.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    After having problem after problem with Windows I've said to OH I would like to purchase a Mac. The only drawback being the price!

I was wondering if anyone here has experience of buying the "re-newed" Macs on amazon? They say they're not apple certified and are only guaranteed for a year, but they do seem to have good reviews.

The other option of course is to save up for a brand new spang-dangled Mac laptop (£1000-ish) but I'm thinking maybe I don't need all the new modern features, as I only really use the computer to do my banking, check my emails, surf the net and use social media etc

Would you trust amazon uk for buying a second hand Mac?

You don't need a Mac for that. What problems are you having with Windows? The majority of them are relatively easy to solve, and failing that you can always reload it.
  • Morbier
    Morbier Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Why not look for a refurbished Mac on the Apple website? I bought my current laptop as a refurbished item from Apple and it was in excellent condition. Came with all the leads/charger etc.

Not sure about buying from Amazon, depends who the seller is I suppose.
    I can't imagine a life without cheese. (Nigel Slater)
  • Erinome
    Erinome Posts: 50 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2019 at 5:04PM
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    Surely you don't need a computer, a tablet would serve your requirements.

Sorry, I don't get on with tablets (or smartphones!)
    Morbier wrote: »
    Why not look for a refurbished Mac on the Apple website? I bought my current laptop as a refurbished item from Apple and it was in excellent condition. Came with all the leads/charger etc.

Not sure about buying from Amazon, depends who the seller is I suppose.

I didn't know you could get refurbished Macs directly from Apple, thanks :)

ETA
    I've just had a quick look at the uk website and their refurbished ones seem to start at about £900, so fairly pricey still
  • David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I'm hopeless on computers, but the Linux os I downloaded and installed would complete all the requirements you outlined Op.
  • Morbier
    Morbier Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've just had a quick look at the uk website and their refurbished ones seem to start at about £900, so fairly pricey still

Obviously, it depends on what they have in stock - if you're not in a hurry, keep checking.
    Yes, again Apple's prices aren't cheap, even for refurbished devices. But not as risky (IMO) as buying from an unknown retailer on Amazon.
    I can't imagine a life without cheese. (Nigel Slater)
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are having issues with Windows, solve those.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport