Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Muzikmaster
    Good and bad buys from Aldi and Lidl
    • 19th Jan 12, 8:32 PM
    Good and bad buys from Aldi and Lidl 19th Jan 12 at 8:32 PM
    Ok not been using this forum very much, but I do look most days to see what's going on. Think I need to stop being shy, start a thread and join in the banter on here.

Lately I've revamped my shopping thanks to everybody on this board. I still wanna continue to save and make my shopping go further.

Rather than me experimenting with lots of unknown brands from Aldi and Lidi I thought it would be a good idea if we could list stuff we all have tried, but most importantly 'liked'

So I would recommend you all have a try of:

(Lidl) Freshvale Cooked Ham - @2.59 for 400g
    Great value for money and it's very tasty and has no added water.

Anymore suggestions?
Page 4
  • linzmac
    I'm in Scotland too and we don't seem to have bread flour in our A*di either. L*dl do have it though, but it's still slightly cheaper in A*da
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th Mar 12, 3:36 PM
    • 15,513 Posts
    • 151,428 Thanks
    mardatha
    Ok thanks for that I can get to a Lidl but its not easy . But if I do manage then I could stock up on it.
    • ScarletRaven
    • By ScarletRaven 14th Mar 12, 5:52 PM
    • 382 Posts
    • 1,197 Thanks
    ScarletRaven
    I'm a recent Lidl convert and still trying out their products but so far I've not been disappointed!

I'm addicted to the apple juice cartons (5x250ml for 99p), and the huge strawberries we got from there a week or two ago were great! Love their version of Fruit Shoots too for when we're out and about with the 2 year old (12 bottles for 2.79, bigger bottles than Fruit Shoots too!).

Yet to try much meat/fish from there but got fresh chicken fillets and frozen salmon fillets on the list for next week Have tried the fishfingers though (bargain - pack of 15 pollock fillet fishfingers for 1.49), and the fussy fiance couldn't even tell they weren't cod - bonus!
    • ivfmummy
    • By ivfmummy 14th Mar 12, 6:26 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    ivfmummy
    I like Aldi stackers, i actually prefer them to pringles they are less fatty tasting.

Can anyone tell me if the washing up liquid is any good, in the past I haven't heard good reviews has it improved?
    • ivfmummy
    • By ivfmummy 14th Mar 12, 6:30 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    ivfmummy
    If you like Pimms then the Aldi Austins is a good substitute. It's just gone up 1 a bottle but even at 5.99 for 70cl still a good buy.
    Originally posted by MysteryMe
    Thank you for this I love pimms and will try it.
  • renegade
    Shipstern bitter beer, equally as good as John Smiths.4x400ml 2.45, bargain.

4 pack individual icecream
    Peppermint Crumbles, scrummy sweets.

These are at Aldi.
    You live..You learn.
  • renegade
    I like Aldi stackers, i actually prefer them to pringles they are less fatty tasting.

Can anyone tell me if the washing up liquid is any good, in the past I haven't heard good reviews has it improved?
    Originally posted by ivfmummy
    as good as Fairy in my opinion.
    You live..You learn.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 19th Mar 12, 4:23 PM
    • 3,067 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    Love, cherish and adore the Grapefruit Juice at Lidl.
    The little cheese square slices are not at all bad either, neither is the square ham at 59p for c.10 slices.
    • jpscloud
    • By jpscloud 19th Mar 12, 7:22 PM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 11,552 Thanks
    jpscloud
    as good as Fairy in my opinion.
    Originally posted by renegade
    Agreed - I started buying the bamboo/lotus one, from aldi, to mix it with the fairy that mum sometimes buys me to make it go further. To be honest I think it's as good on its own.
    I believe in the freedom of spinach and the right to arm bears.

Weight loss journey started January 2015
    -32lbs
    • Rabbit
    • By Rabbit 19th Mar 12, 8:11 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    Rabbit
    Aldi - I like -

Magnum Washing up liquid,
    Foil,
    Most of the chocolate
    Passata,
    Plain crisps,
    Seal Bars (like Penguins)
    Jive Bars (like small Twix)
    Fruit and veg been lovely so far
    Kitchen roll (the pack of 4 for 1.99)
    Wafer bars,
    Dried noodles,
    Curry sauce,
    Frozen haddock - lightly dusted
    My neighbour rates their parmesan
    DH says shower gel good
    Creamy handwash

Only just got an Aldi near us but really impressed so far, so peaceful in there, no tannoys/music and it just feels so calm
    A penny saved is one you don't have to earn!
    • sweetdaisy
    • By sweetdaisy 2nd Apr 12, 9:51 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 5,257 Thanks
    sweetdaisy
    Aldi Vs Lidl (in terms of choice)
    I have recently begun shopping in Aldi, after getting fed of spending around 80 a week in Tesco and not having much to show for it.

I have been saving around 25 a week at Aldi, but was wondering what the difference is between Aldi and Lidl? Is there is difference, or is it just personal preference?

I cook most of my food by sctrach, so I don't need vast amounts of choice/branded products etc, however in Aldi there doesn't seem to be much choice in terms of fresh joints of meat, 'fridge fillers' such as no potato salad - only coleslaw, limited quiche/deep fill pies etc.

I am impressed by the fruit and veg at Aldi as it lasts quite a while and also tastes nicer than Tesco.

Just wondering is there more choice in Lidl? and are the prices similar?
    25 year Mortgage started February 2001 (end date January 2026)
    Offset Mortgage Balance December 2016 30,950
    On target to repay 5 years and 5 months early (August 2020)
  • santer
    Mostly the same things with different names and similar prices IMO. As you cook from scratch though, personal preference will be important.

If you have both nearby then that's a bonus as their sites are worth checking for the special buys and also their shops for good bargains on things they want to shift

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys.htm

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//SID-ABE4FA69-FF1EDA8B/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/4222.htm

Another option is trying own brands from most supermarkets.

If you set the score to 9+ which will give you everything from 9 to 10 to start with and only set it lower if 9+ has nothing in the results

http://www.supermarketownbrandguide.co.uk/search.php?table=all

You can select dietary requirements, if any, and then choose the shops which are convenient for you, include taste notes then enter the search item.

Mostly, the comments are accurate and choosing 9+ items will return edible ones
    • maman
    • By maman 3rd Apr 12, 12:42 AM
    • 20,986 Posts
    • 124,345 Thanks
    maman
    I'd say the prices were similar. Lidl doesn't do 'Super 6' veg ut it does sell veg at good prices. I tend to vary it (plus a top up from Asda or Sainsbury) on a 3 weeks Lidl to 1 week Aldi basis and stock up on the things we like.

Some things are different, others it doesn't matter which shop they're still good. We adore Lidl's luxury muesli but Aldi does free range chickens. Aldi sells cornflour Lidl has frankfurters every bit as good as Herta (and lots of other deli stuff). Aldi's washing up liquid is great but Lidl has good value salt, rinse aid and tablets for the dishwasher.

Give them both a try.
    • sweetdaisy
    • By sweetdaisy 3rd Apr 12, 9:33 AM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 5,257 Thanks
    sweetdaisy
    Thanks for the replies. I will take a look a Lidl.
    25 year Mortgage started February 2001 (end date January 2026)
    Offset Mortgage Balance December 2016 30,950
    On target to repay 5 years and 5 months early (August 2020)
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 3rd Apr 12, 7:09 PM
    • 23,092 Posts
    • 60,819 Thanks
    meritaten
    I would say Maman is right - on price there is little to choose between them and most items are of good quality. I used to shop at Lidls years ago until an Aldi opened up only five minutes away from me - compared to 25 for Lidls as Tresco is only five more mins from Aldis I do my top up there.
    I have to say though that with both Aldi and Lidl, a lot depends on how well the store is managed - I have been to some which quite frankly are not up to scratch and understand why some people on here were put off.
    • totallybored
    • By totallybored 3rd Apr 12, 7:51 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    totallybored
    Some things are different, others it doesn't matter which shop they're still good. We adore Lidl's luxury muesli but Aldi does free range chickens. Aldi sells cornflour Lidl has frankfurters every bit as good as Herta (and lots of other deli stuff). Aldi's washing up liquid is great but Lidl has good value salt, rinse aid and tablets for the dishwasher.

Give them both a try.
    Originally posted by maman
    My Lidl sells free range chickens and my Aldi sometimes has rinse aid (but not all the time).

Both sell wine that I like
    • stephen77
    • By stephen77 3rd Apr 12, 9:03 PM
    • 9,136 Posts
    • 11,890 Thanks
    stephen77
    I personally do not like aldi but i like lidl. Can not put my finger on it as they are pretty similar however I find them quite different.
    • EycplUK
    • By EycplUK 6th Apr 12, 4:39 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    EycplUK
    A bit off topic but .............
    We travel to europe quite often and when you see the Aldi`s and Lidl`s over there you soon realise how poor our versions are !
    Choice and quality are far better than in our stores and they do not see the stores as a downmarket range of supplies rather they see them as a quality alternative to the Big stores !
    Maybe it`s time for us to go European ?
    A Bast**d I May Be ! I Was Born One !
    Whats Your Excuse ?
    • jenster
    • By jenster 6th Apr 12, 5:59 AM
    • 483 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    jenster
    I personally do not like aldi but i like lidl. Can not put my finger on it as they are pretty similar however I find them quite different.
    Originally posted by stephen77
    LOL and im the opposite i much prefer Aldi to Lidl
    and again couldnt say why cos like u say there much of a much ness
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 6th Apr 12, 1:34 PM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 1,479 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    I love both. My Aldi has baskets now
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

370Posts Today

3,103Users online

Martin's Twitter