£1.99 Plumming and Drainage Insurance Cover

I have just been sent a letter offering Plumming & Drainage cover for just £1.99 per month for the first year. Annual charge is £23.88 so there is not extra interest charge for paying monthly. Cover is limited to £4000.00 for blocked or cloopsed drains outside your home ( 2 claims per year of £2000 ) and up to £2000 for plumming or drainage emergencies inside your home ( 2 claims per year of £1000 )
The letter is from Northumbrian Water introducing HOMESERVE GB LTD. There is a freephone number to HOMESERVE 0800 073 2169 quoting reference number NOSP61D for this special offer.

Normal price is £64.99 per year so it would revert back to that upon renewal.

Just thought I would pass the information onto anybody who might interested.

OOPS A DAISY :)
:cool: Official DFW Nerd Club Member #37 Debt free Feb 07 :cool:

Comments

• oops_a_daisy
    oops_a_daisy Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    OOPS - sorry should read my own posts before I press submit

cloopsed should read collapsed
    :cool: Official DFW Nerd Club Member #37 Debt free Feb 07 :cool:
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Got the same letter myself from Angian Water
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Yes I did take this up (in Wessex Water area) a couple of years ago. After the first year the price rocketed, but I was offered a cheaper policy if I was prepared to pay the first £50 of any claim. I have decided not to renew it again, primarily because any problems that we have encountered have not actually been on our property but in the road!

Only point I would make is that the insurance company is actually nothing to do with the water company, even though the documents they sent me had Wessex Water printed on them, giving the impression that they were affiliated. When I mentioned this to Wessex Water they said it was nothing to do with them and their name shouldn't be used on the stationery!

This company also do insurance against electrical problems, gas problems etc, so you'll probably get hit with those leaflets soon!
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• wolfehouse
    wolfehouse Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I got the same letter but higher priced from scottish water.
    My OH seems keen because he's getting more paranoid as he ages.
    I am more cynical.
    All I could find on the net about them was the listen again show of you and yours on:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyours/index_20050201.shtml

They seem to imply that it is unecessary to cover the pipes into your home.
    OH likes the cover for inside plumbing though. are there better options?

I am confused as ever. Has anyone actually ever made a claim with this company?
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Be worth checking if yo are already adequately covered on your house (buildings) Insurance.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Yes, I have made two claims over the years that I have had this insurance. On both occasions they did get a plumber out the same day to try and solve the problem, but on once he arrived at about 10.00pm and only had rods when he needed a jetting machine, so they had to send somebody else next day. Presumably they have paid the bills because I haven't heard anything to the contrary.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• simonm_3
    simonm_3 Posts: 62 Forumite
    The affiliation with the Water Companies can be a positive thing. If there is a problem in dealing with Homeserve, there is always a fall back position in that one can escalate to the water company and get them to approach Homeserve on your behalf.
  • jos22
    jos22 Posts: 249 Forumite
    I seem to think that Homeserve was/is owned by a water company (Severn Trent).

My water company also sent this & I noticed straight away it does not cover water storage tanks (expensive). My own water company will repair a leaking service (supply) pipe free (just the once though). My House Insurance will also cover the supply pipe. I have lived in my present house for over 30 years, never had a blocked sewer (do have some drain rods though). Never had a damaged supply pipe, I can mend a burst pipe if I have one (push on fittings are great). I have had to replace two tanks which would not have been covered. In that time I have saved quite a bit of money by not insuring. Year 1 it's cheap peace of mind, year 2 really think about it.
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    Homeserve isn't owned by Severn Trent. They were associated with South Staffordshire Water (when Homeserve were called Home Service) till about 18months ago but had a demerger.
  • lowbrim
    lowbrim Posts: 489 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I recently had the misfortune to have a supply pipe leak and you can forget the free repair unless they "think" they can do it in under 3 hours look at the small print. This was with Thames water.

Fortunatly I had the homeserve policy and they did it in under 2hours!!! wrote to Thames about it but gave up with them a load of ******. That is the good story about Homeserve the bad one is on the plumbimng and drainage cover you are not covered unless it is an emergency ie you have no water at all!! I had a blockage from the supply pipe repair and they said it was not an emergency (Ihad some water pressure) so I was not covered. I have since cancelled the policy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure