Consumer Rights: MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• I bought a Gateway Laptop from Tesco in June 2007. The laptop will not charge up anymore (I know this is an internal fault as I have tried replacing the charger itself) and it will not install updates (I have been on to Microsoft Vista and they have tried all they can). I attempted to take the laptop back to Tesco but was refused because I had bought it more than 12 months ago. They said I should contact Gateway as it's not their problem. I no longer have the receipt but do have my Credit Card statement, whch I bought it on. I came away from Tesco with their Head Office details. What should I do next?

Thanks in advance.
  • Hi, hope someone has some sunshine for me today...

I went to curries yesterday and had nice chat with sales adviser about digital recorders. We looked at the freeview digital recorder and a range that cost about £250. I told him we wanted to be able to record and watch Sky tv and he advised the £250 range which were very simple to use and would do what I wanted.

I bought one for £250, set it up (incredibly complicated!) and found that the instruction booklet state that you couldn't watch satellite tv if you were using the timer record function. Obviously this is a real limitation so I took it back to the store today only to be told that I would not get a refund for a change of mind.

I said that the sales adviser had assured me it would do what I wanted but they said I didn't ask the specific question 'could I watch satellite while recording'. To me, this is like not asking if a car has seats when you buy it, only to find that it hasn't and not being able to return it.

What can I do? Is there anything I can do?

many thanks!
    :o
  • Thanks, but I feel I have to wait to confirm that the HD is duff first, with the diagnostics tool otherwise surely I can only ask for repair? There is a slim possibility it is a Microsoft problem/Vista/compatibility problem in which case I dont know where I stand? (I hate Vista!)
    If its is the HD I do want a replacement. I will never feel confident that its not going to crash again and leave my, not very computer literate, daughter high and dry again.
    The Fujitsu system diagnostics tool showed hard disc error. Manager wanted to send it away for repair, and said in any case it had to be sent away for final check over and repair,... did she drop it kind of check,... despite it having been seen in the store! and said nothing could be done until it came back from repair dept, despite me constantly saying i would not accept it back.The duty manager said he would be very happy to see me in court as I would not win!
    But I have proved that Comet do not have hard and fast rule, I think I struck lucky with Comet in Branksome as the young customer service agent there did manage to get the laptop replaced, actually we paid the difference for a Toshiba. How he got round the adamant manager i do not know. (start to finish within 10 days) All the higher ups i spoke to were obviously going to make me go the hard route, I spent a lot on money on the phone and raised my blood pressure several notches ( a lot less than they would have liked thanks to the link on this site to: http://www.saynoto0870.com !) I did not have that kind of conversation with the customer service man himself. I believe the cust service agent recognized we had a faulty product, sympathised with my daughter's situation and came up trumps. It would have got messy if hadnt been for him. I have recommended he be promoted to MD!

PS MNBA credit card dept said section 75 didnt apply as it was bought in store not by post or internet, it didnt apply to face to face purchases! Trying it on too arent they?
  • Hi,
    I'm new to this so please bear with me. i posted on this yesterday and have no idea where it is. Anyhow can anyone help. 5 weeks ago online shop for Tesco was cancelled by them as the delivery van had broke down. Delivered next day but because 1st one was cancelled they had to recharge when booking 2nd delivery out (hope that makes sense!), meaning I was being charged twice in less than 24 hours. Luckily we had enough moeny to cover this. Problem... after 5 weeks of phone calls, £20 of vouchers and £20 compensation we are still waiting for our money back and don't seem to be getting anywhere as they say it has been processed, but they have over £100 of my money!! And as they would say "every Little helps!" and it certainly would right now.
    Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanx louloubell
  • malc_b
    malc_b Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    sara100 wrote: »
    Hi, hope someone has some sunshine for me today...

I went to curries yesterday and had nice chat with sales adviser about digital recorders. We looked at the freeview digital recorder and a range that cost about £250. I told him we wanted to be able to record and watch Sky tv and he advised the £250 range which were very simple to use and would do what I wanted.

I bought one for £250, set it up (incredibly complicated!) and found that the instruction booklet state that you couldn't watch satellite tv if you were using the timer record function. Obviously this is a real limitation so I took it back to the store today only to be told that I would not get a refund for a change of mind.

I said that the sales adviser had assured me it would do what I wanted but they said I didn't ask the specific question 'could I watch satellite while recording'. To me, this is like not asking if a car has seats when you buy it, only to find that it hasn't and not being able to return it.

I'm not sure what curries said but it certainly sounds like you are confused so they clearly didn't advise you right. On that basis you would have a right to a refund although proving that is tricky. However I think you are still confused so let me explain and perhaps there isn't a problem.

A Freeview PVR will only record freeview, and will not record from old tapes, analogue TV, or SKY. I'm 99% sure that is true for all freeview PVR since it would cost more to add the electronics for analogue TV (which would also record tapes and SKY), and plus the quality would not be as good. I've never seen a freeview PVR with such features.

You connect the freeview PVR to the aerial (as first in the chain) and to the TV set via a SCART. Other SCARTs on the TV can be connected to a DVD player or a SKY box. On the TV you select one of these SCARTs and you watch that, i.e. PVR or DVD or SKY. Hence, yes you can watch sky while recording.

If the TV only has one scart then you need to daisy chain the SCARTs. Most boxes have a SCART in and a button on the remote to switch to SCART in. Sometimes this is automatic (pin 8 switching) when the box is powered so for example:

SKY -> DVD -> PVR -> TV

TV switches to PVR when PVR powered
    TV switches to DVD when DVD is powered (PVR on or off)
    TV switches to SKY when SKY is powered (DVD/PVR on or off)

You can often enable or disable autoswitching by changing the scart type or in the extreme remove pin 8. For say the DVD this would be in the PVR that you would disable it.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this offline.
  • Thank you! I will try this later and much appreciate your advice.

Hopefully I won't have to, but will PM you if I get stuck,

Sara:j
  • I Purchased a fridge freezer from Asda on line approx 6 months ago. After 3 months it broke. After 2 weeks of complete frustration and the loss not only of a fridge full of fresh and frozen food. Plus 3 hours of 'sub contractors' trying to fix it, it was eventually exchanged with another one. Three months down the line,more loss of a full fridge full of food and another faulty fridge freezer !!!! ( the same model)
    Now neither the manufacturer nor Asda will take any responsibility for not only the stress this has caused me but the amount of food I have lost.BUT Asda are replacing thid model ( again) but this time shall give me a diffrerent make !!!

WHO'S RESPONSIBILITY IS THIS AS ASDA SAY THEY ARE NOT LIABLE AND NEITHER DO BEKO???? So do they expect me to claim on my house insurance twice and lose my no claims because they are simply passing the book !?
  • I purchased a product from Comet off their website on 1.11.08 for £79.99, they debited my account for the amount plus delivery and sent an email confirmation. I have today received the product but it is different to the item ordered. Originally i ordered Guitar Hero world tour complete band game as advertised. There was no specification so therefore went off the image. Today just Guitar Hero solo guitar pack arrived, looking on there website they have now changed these items and are now using the product code that originally was for the full band now for the solo guitar pack. At the time of ordering there was no solo guitar pack available. They are now saying that they have not done anything wrong, that pictures are for illustration purposes only (even if no specification is available) and that they can offer a full refund for the product i have received or i can pay the extra £90 for the item i purchased for £79.99. Does anyone know where i stand on this one? Am i within my rights to demand what i ordered for the price i ordered it for?
  • In April we took delivery of, and fitted a B & Q kitchen, which is turning out to be horrendously bad at developing faults!

First off, the vinyl on one door has a bubble in it. My steamer was on for twenty minutes under this door - but I would expect them to be able to withstand a bit of heat and steam.

Second, I didn't empty my iron when it had cooled down, and the water leaked into the cupboard - and the bottom shelf has "blown" It wasn't loads of water - I only have a "normal" sized iron. Fair enough - I may expect to have to take responsibility for this one - but the way it has gone, you'd think that my bath had leaked onto it or something.

Third - I have a corner cupboard for my plates - and the bit that joins them has so many chips in the vynl laminate. Now I don't bash the doors together or anything - it's my new kitchen - at a loss as to how it's so bad!

Then today I noticed a huge crack in my glass splashback behind my hob.

I feel gutted. I know you get what you pay for - and it's not the most expensive kitchen in the world BUT to me this isn't fit for the purpose or lasted a reasonable length of time.
    Dh will call B & Q tomorrow, because I know I'll get too emotional if they try and fob me off.

Your thoughts / advice is appreciated before we call them.

Many thanks.
  • Art_2
    Art_2 Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    BETHSTER wrote: »
    I Purchased a fridge freezer from Asda on line approx 6 months ago. After 3 months it broke. After 2 weeks of complete frustration and the loss not only of a fridge full of fresh and frozen food. Plus 3 hours of 'sub contractors' trying to fix it, it was eventually exchanged with another one. Three months down the line,more loss of a full fridge full of food and another faulty fridge freezer !!!! ( the same model)
    Now neither the manufacturer nor Asda will take any responsibility for not only the stress this has caused me but the amount of food I have lost.BUT Asda are replacing thid model ( again) but this time shall give me a diffrerent make !!!

WHO'S RESPONSIBILITY IS THIS AS ASDA SAY THEY ARE NOT LIABLE AND NEITHER DO BEKO???? So do they expect me to claim on my house insurance twice and lose my no claims because they are simply passing the book !?

The responsibility is ASDA's. Write a recorded delivery letter telling them that you not only want a new freezer but also compensation for your losses. Tell them the unit is not fit for purpose and if they don't deal with your problem within 10 days you will go to the Small Claims Court.

Regards,
    Art.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family