PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 23 May 2019 at 2:08PM
    Oh, Albert! It'll all be all right in the end but every cat needs his rat...

That man is leading me astray. (Sort of. It isn't like he had to work terribly hard...) He did a tour of the local shops, and before moving on, mentioned he'd seen Playmobil Vikings. Couldn't remember the shop name but where it was. So I google-street-view-ed, and called them & promised a good home (and money) if they'd hang onto them for me.

The morning passed and the next phone call was that the Denby he'd found was blinking heavy. I can take a hint. I went & met him, met a superb Denby Reflections tea set (pot, jug, sugar bowl, 6 cups & saucers and 6 tea plates) & just dropped in & at his suggestion eyed an unstamped oval plate that is unquestionably Camelot. So I puttered up clutching the plate (a whole pound - shocking!) & introduced myself & was handed two boxes of Playmobil vikings, which mopped up the rest of my emergency tenner. Husband was startled, then weak with laughter when he heard I'd placed the call as soon as I'd located the shop's phone number.

As Amazon have both boxes from their new & used supplier at £106 each, I am cheerful. The stores-flat toy castle made by my Uncle Jack with turrets & walls & walkways, just needing a few soldiers to protect it, (and somehow having a hospital bed & a doctor in it, leftovers of my infancy) now not only has assorted defenders (um and an oil tanker and a Porsche concession and customs vessel - not wholly left over from *my* infancy, either), it has a proper enemy at the gates. With horses & a cart & a tent!

If my workplace every gets really snippy about not having anything along monitors then a fleet of [at least] 24 further fearsome warriors (Romans, barbarians, an alien, an apprentice Pharaoh, a Mongol Khan, a monarch of the seas, an F1 driver and so forth - I love the mystery packets but the intriguing unifying thing about them is They Are All Armed) will appear. The little castle will have a lot of defenders, making story time much easier. Hand me a prop & I can usually spin at least one story around it. My little castle will house an easy month or more of different stories nightly! (I just hope any granddaughters Fate decides to land me with like castles too. The horses may be worth their weight in rubies, there.)
  • DigForVictory
    Forumite
    edited 23 May 2019 at 7:05PM
    Which I have now unpacked and I have bonus Three Wise Men, camel, a nun (!) & six Vikings, two horses & a battering ram.
    My Inner Toddler is delighted - my sons think I’ve lost it...
    My husband, laying out the figures, is quietly pleased at me bouncing.

Then muttering “why do I enable you?”
    Then handing me a nice solid cardboard box to put All my Playmobil in.
    I may be some time...
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    a nun & six Vikings
    The little castle will have a lot of defenders, making story time much easier.

But who will defend the nun against the six Vikings?

And is that a bedtime story fit to be told :eek:
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • DigForVictory
    Forumite
    Something that has my husband gurgling happily. I suspect that saga will be told when I have gone to bed. Just as well, really. Heroes & sword fights & Viking nettle soup - absolutely, I’ve read enough fairy tales & a few sagas, I can spin a yarn easier than a fleece. The truths of battle, comms foul ups, weapons jamming, booby traps intended to harm & war crimes - not so much. Really not bedtime stories!
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hello :)
    I don’t often buy much from charity shops as someone else mentioned due to the distinct lack of plus sizes. However I was in BHF today and did spot some size 24’s so I don’t think that they do rag everything.
    I’m desperately hoping for some luck in finding some Irregular Choice shoes in a charity shop. I have several pairs that I bought brand new but there’s just something about getting that bargain! I’ve not been lucky yet (although my sister has but she gave them to my niece who has dinky feet) but I always like to have a nose in the odd chazza- just in case ;)
    I wandered into BHF today. Now, I donated five big bags of stuff a couple of weeks ago and decided to play ‘spot my old stuff’ :D
    I found some of it and was shocked! A loungewear top from Primarni (although I wore it as a hoodie) which I paid about £8 for priced at £6. A Gap tunic top which I think I had paid a tenner for from the outlet and was badly faded- priced at £6.50. A pair of black glitter Sketchers which had quite heavy wear to them (I’m very hard on my shoes and these ones were soft anyway) also £6! I thought the pricing was a wee bit off.
    However... on the rack of dresses I spotted an absolutely beautiful Quiz maxi dress. White with pink and blue flowers and studded with diamantes along the waistband with a scarf type halter neck tie. In absolutely lovely condition, priced at £12.99. I didn’t mind the price though as I have had several of these dresses from new and they can retail anything up to £80 new- even reduced the lowest I’ve seen is about £35. It was a size 16 (I’m nowhere near a 16 :D) but it had an elasticated back and I know some of them can be quite generous.
    I got it on :D I took the plunge and thought if it doesn’t seem right when I’ve got *cough* supportive underwear on (Spanx and a decent bra :D) and decent shoes then i’ll donate it back. So I got it home, stuck it on a delicates wash inside out and line dried it, then tried it on with my Spanx, my good multi-way bra and my pink Irregular Choice heels, and I stuck my white Primarni crochet shrug over it and it looked a treat. Was really happy with it and it was an absolute bargain. I think someone has probably paid a lot of money for it for a special event, perhaps a wedding or suchlike, and has just never worn it again which is such a shame. I intend to wear it for my hen night in July :)
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • Laredouter
    Laredouter Posts: 72 Forumite
    Sam is a big fan of my new coat, so much so I found him curled up asleep in it when I made the mistake of leaving it on my bed after photographing it to show my best friend. Has anyone got any tips for removing a thick layer of black and white hair from wool? :o
  • Laredouter
    Laredouter Posts: 72 Forumite
    Mrs Ryan- I had that happen to me before. I donated a big bag of stuff to BHF Basildon a few years ago, and when I went in there a few weeks later everything was priced £6 and up, including my Primark items.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,023
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Laredouter wrote: »
    Sam is a big fan of my new coat, so much so I found him curled up asleep in it when I made the mistake of leaving it on my bed after photographing it to show my best friend. Has anyone got any tips for removing a thick layer of black and white hair from wool? :o

Parcel tape works well.
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite

Same as C J, tape wrapped around your hand and just dab it all off.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,886
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

A damp rubber glove is supposed to work too but I haven't tried it. I use the sellotape/parcel tape method or one of those sticky roller thingies. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure