renting out second home

My partner and i want to rent out our second home and move in together. I used a broker for my home insurance (Alan Boswell Group) but we wanted to know what the best Landlords insurance is. Direct line is very cheap and the cover seems to be a bit thin on the ground.

We want to rent our home for around £800 per month as the mortgage repayments are around £650. I don't want to keep having to change insurance every year and we want to make sure our house is covered correctly. Is landlords insurance essentially the same as home insurance and what is the best way to ensure you get the best deals each year?

Comments

• Very helpful - Will have a read through tonight. :money:
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My partner and i want to rent out our second home and move in together. I used a broker for my home insurance (Alan Boswell Group) but we wanted to know what the best Landlords insurance is. Direct line is very cheap and the cover seems to be a bit thin on the ground.

We want to rent our home for around £800 per month as the mortgage repayments are around £650. I don't want to keep having to change insurance every year and we want to make sure our house is covered correctly. Is landlords insurance essentially the same as home insurance and what is the best way to ensure you get the best deals each year?
    Are you aware of all your responsibilities as a land lord? Can you afford to pay both mortgages for atleast 6 months?
  • We can afford it but moving in together should free up some cash if we can rent it out, to either help pay off the mortgages faster or for the odd holiday. Life's for living right?! :j

why 6 months?
  • Comms69
    We can afford it but moving in together should free up some cash if we can rent it out, to either help pay off the mortgages faster or for the odd holiday. Life's for living right?! :j

why 6 months?

That’s the average eviction time
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If they drag it out then it could be more than 6 months.

Watch the TV show "can't pay we take it away". Some of them have dragged it out for over a year and owed the LL thousands and left the house in a state where burning it down and rebuilding would be preferred.

Bailiffs turn up and they wont let them in and they may only enter through an open door/window. Unless you pay a few more thousands pounds for high court enforcement.

All this costs you and your unlikely to see a penny back.

Some one them appear to live a good lifestyle yet think paying rent is beneath them.

Go into this with your eyes open. What if they dont pay the rent and it takes you over a year to evict them and the court costs and legal fees etc.

If you cannot pay the mortgage for a year then save enough to do that.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Comms69
    If they drag it out then it could be more than 6 months.

Watch the TV show "can't pay we take it away". Some of them have dragged it out for over a year and owed the LL thousands and left the house in a state where burning it down and rebuilding would be preferred.

Bailiffs turn up and they wont let them in and they may only enter through an open door/window. Unless you pay a few more thousands pounds for high court enforcement.

All this costs you and your unlikely to see a penny back.

Some one them appear to live a good lifestyle yet think paying rent is beneath them.

Go into this with your eyes open. What if they dont pay the rent and it takes you over a year to evict them and the court costs and legal fees etc.

If you cannot pay the mortgage for a year then save enough to do that.
    To be fair that’s not dragged out; that’s the landlord getting it wrong.

The realistic timeframes are: (s.21) 2 months notice, 6-8 weeks for court date, 2 weeks to leave, 6-8 weeks for a bailiff.

Your mistaken about bailiff powers in a repossession; they have the right to force entry.

High court enforcement doesn’t cost a few thousand either.

But I agree with the underlying message.
  • The house could be sold but we think it would be a wise idea to still have both homes to fall back on in the future, for Kids ect. I've looked at site called Landlord Law and this seems to cover a lot of the details around tenant eviction. They also mention Alan Boswell Group providing rent guarantee insurance if they don't pay rent...

I need to make sure the fire alarms are up to spec and that we don't have any extra costs turning the house into a Buy to let, as its currently not a Buy to let mortgage? Sooo much to think about!:idea::think::silenced:

Need to maker sure we make the best saving possible
  • Comms69
    The house could be sold but we think it would be a wise idea to still have both homes to fall back on in the future, for Kids ect. I've looked at site called Landlord Law and this seems to cover a lot of the details around tenant eviction. They also mention Alan Boswell Group providing rent guarantee insurance if they don't pay rent...

I need to make sure the fire alarms are up to spec and that we don't have any extra costs turning the house into a Buy to let, as its currently not a Buy to let mortgage? Sooo much to think about!:idea::think::silenced:

Need to maker sure we make the best saving possible

BTL mortgages attract a higher %. (and you need an LTV of 75% typically)

There's things like deposit protection - get it wrong and it could cost you thousands.

Right to rent checks.

Taxes (obviously)

Gas safety (yearly)

EPC (every 10 years I think* check)

Fire alarms are actually the least of your worries. Assuming you will not be running a HMO (google it, worth knowing!) you only need a fairly basic set up.
  • I think some landlords insurance policies have legal cover which covers the legal costs leading up to eviction. Some mortgage providers are (or were 8 years ago!) happy to offer an annual rolling permission to have tenants. I don't think they care if its a second home in the sense if you bought it as your only property to live in, but later you have decided to / have to live elsewhere and rent it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure