Forced smart meter on way

Options
Hi
Appreciate advice on following
Dad had called eon regarding meter readings.
Eon advisor told dad his current deal expires next yest and if he doesn't have a smart meter they will be unable to offer him a deal.
Is this even legal? Smart meters are not compulsory

Feel dad being manipulated and im annoyed
Please advise

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    This has been covered a number of times. Several companies are only making certain tariffs available if you have a smart meter.

Your Dad isn't 'forced' to have a smart meter; he is being 'encouraged';)

It is similar to some tariffs only being available as 'on-line paperless' and you pay by Direct Debit.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As Cardew says, if you want a cheaper or special deal then there are usually terms and conditions that apply, like paying by DD, paperless billing and now smart meters.

If you choose not to accept any of these then you will have to either find a tariff that does not impose these conditions or find another supplier but don't expect any of them to offer non-smart tariffs at the same rates as smart ones.

Even though smart meters aren't "legally" compulsory suppliers can make then a condition of supply because they are being fined or sanctioned by the government by not reaching their smart meter rollout targets.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • tkwad
    tkwad Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. Ive not been keeping up to date with smart meter issues do was unaware it was a move they can actually make.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    advise him to shop around and find a deal with a different company that does not require a smart meter.
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    Prepayment is a good option today also,if you've got meters with dial readings best to stay with those as long as possible.Personally I would not have a smart meter with credit billing as after two-three years problems develop with the battery controlled gas meter and a quick call out is required,its no good waiting several day's with no supply for an engineer to attend.

Smart meters for the majority at the moment are supplier based but this is rapidly changing,with one central hub in control its something to be aware of.
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Eon tried to force one on me,when getting a better deal.I refuse to pay by direct debit too,( long story). In the end I got a great deal via the MSE cheap energy club,fixed rate,with Eon,no smart meter,pay my way AND got cash back!
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    Out of interest what’s the issue with smart meters? don’t have one here btw.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    It's the company in control of the DCC thats worrying.I for one am not happy about being enroled and adopted by them.Its a very good reason for people to refuse a smart meter for not just the meter alone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure